follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
Zaggeron

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited '10 370ZR
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hell is other drivers

To paraphrase Sartre: Hell is other drivers.

Just wanted to make this thread to vent a bit.

I like Austin, but Texas drivers are all complete tools.

Case in point:

Coming home tonight from work. More or less bumper to bumper traffic. I always keep at least a couple of car lengths behind the car in front -- more if the traffic is running smooth. Tonight this ****wad followed me for 10 miles while maintaining less than 5 feet from my back bumper at all times. Since there was heavy traffic, I couldn't get away from him.

I'm not the road rage type, but tailgaters really tick me off.

We all know that we are awesome and have no bad driving habits, but what are the things about other drivers that drive you mad?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zaggeron For This Useful Post:
Guff (09-07-2012), Shagaliscious (09-08-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
Everyone is in hell and everyone thinks they are the only one surrounded by demons

amirite?
#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #87 For This Useful Post:
Giccin (09-08-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Hmm... wasn't there a thread about others driving style in the past???

BTW, how fast were you driving when the other driver tailgate you?
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
5 feet in a crawl? That's not bad at all, here in California the standard following distance seems to be about 3-4 feet :P At normal highway speeds increase that to 7.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to serialk11r For This Useful Post:
Giccin (09-08-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
Zaggeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
5 feet in a crawl? That's not bad at all, here in California the standard following distance seems to be about 3-4 feet :P At normal highway speeds increase that to 7.
7 feet at 55-65? holy mother of pearl! I follow the 3 second rule at all times. Actually, I'm probably the bane of the other drivers because they all seem in such a hurry to get 10 feet in front of me.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
Zaggeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want.FR-S View Post
Hmm... wasn't there a thread about others driving style in the past???

BTW, how fast were you driving when the other driver tailgate you?
Today the traffic was moving around 20 miles per hour in the left lane. But speed doesn't seem to matter, I get tailgated at 75 mph in the left lane by monster pickup trucks while passing cars going 60 in the middle lane. There's almost always a wreck I pass on the way to work and on the way home. Texas. No wonder my insurance rates are so high.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaggeron View Post
7 feet at 55-65? holy mother of pearl! I follow the 3 second rule at all times. Actually, I'm probably the bane of the other drivers because they all seem in such a hurry to get 10 feet in front of me.
Yea see in driver's ed, they told me that you're supposed to keep 4 seconds following distance. On the highway once I actually counted how many seconds behind the next car I was, and I counted 2 seconds, and this was when there was little congestion and following distances were big! I've driven when the road was busy but moving along, and I was quite scared by how people were following at 7 feet ish going almost 60 mph. I guess I exaggerated, it's not typical per se, but people here definitely don't feel uncomfortable following very close on the highway.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Next to tailgaters, another traffic peeve I have is pending closed lanes. Not so much the lane itself, or the fact that it's closing soon, but moreso the assholes that decided to use the lane until the last possible second.

Instead of merging when traffic is moving smoothly, you know, to maintain flow, there's always a dozen FC*KWADS that absolutely need to fly down the empty lane (soon to be closed) to get past as many people as possible. Then, as if by some divine entitelment, they just wedge themselves into your lane like "oh, this lane is closing, and the cones are MAKING me merge into your lane without looking OR using my blinker". It fucks EVERYONE and I HATE THEM. DIE!
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Giccin (09-08-2012), kwood9000 (09-08-2012), Shagaliscious (09-08-2012), Want.FR-S (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Lawnik

Drives: Flat grey Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Like I tell my kids, quite your damn complaining.

Trying to control and regulate others is my peeve.
Lawnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
Zaggeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Next to tailgaters, another traffic peeve I have is pending closed lanes. Not so much the lane itself, or the fact that it's closing soon, but moreso the assholes that decided to use the lane until the last possible second.

Instead of merging when traffic is moving smoothly, you know, to maintain flow, there's always a dozen FC*KWADS that absolutely need to fly down the empty lane (soon to be closed) to get past as many people as possible. Then, as if by some divine entitelment, they just wedge themselves into your lane like "oh, this lane is closing, and the cones are MAKING me merge into your lane without looking OR using my blinker". It fucks EVERYONE and I HATE THEM. DIE!

Don't get me started on that. And how often is it a BMW SUV driving soccer Mom -- or I guess in Austin, it's picking the kids up from Karate class ....
Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
Zaggeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawnik View Post
Like I tell my kids, quite your damn complaining.

Trying to control and regulate others is my peeve.
It's good to vent. If people keep shit bottled up they turn into serial killers. Better a few harsh words now than dead bodies later.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #12
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
To paraphrase Sartre: Hell is other drivers.

Just wanted to make this thread to vent a bit.

I like Austin, but Texas drivers are all complete tools.

Case in point:

Coming home tonight from work. More or less bumper to bumper traffic. I always keep at least a couple of car lengths behind the car in front -- more if the traffic is running smooth. Tonight this ****wad followed me for 10 miles while maintaining less than 5 feet from my back bumper at all times. Since there was heavy traffic, I couldn't get away from him.

I'm not the road rage type, but tailgaters really tick me off.

We all know that we are awesome and have no bad driving habits, but what are the things about other drivers that drive you mad?

You just brought back bad memories of High School Summer reading and French names I could never pronounce.

I hate tailgaters too. Not as much as Summer reading though...
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
Zaggeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
You just brought back bad memories of High School Summer reading and French names I could never pronounce.

I hate tailgaters too. Not as much as Summer reading though...
It rhymes with "dart"

(kinda)
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaggeron For This Useful Post:
Guff (09-07-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
Want.FR-S

Drives: 4 Wheels Auto
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Today the traffic was moving around 20 miles per hour in the left lane. But speed doesn't seem to matter, I get tailgated at 75 mph in the left lane by monster pickup trucks while passing cars going 60 in the middle lane. There's almost always a wreck I pass on the way to work and on the way home. Texas. No wonder my insurance rates are so high.
As long as it is not raining, 20 mph with 7-10 feet gap is fine, if the driver behind you actually pay attention on the driving.

As to the passing left lane. Yes, running at 75 mph is 10 mph above the speed limit. However, if by running at 75 mph at the left lane and blocking all the traffic behind you, I would say you are running slow. IMHO when you pass on the left, make it snappy. Speed up, pass from the left, once clear, move right and move along. Simple as that. 75 mph may be fast to you, but that may not be fast for other people. No need to hug the left lane just because you think that is fast enough for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Yea see in driver's ed, they told me that you're supposed to keep 4 seconds following distance. On the highway once I actually counted how many seconds behind the next car I was, and I counted 2 seconds, and this was when there was little congestion and following distances were big! I've driven when the road was busy but moving along, and I was quite scared by how people were following at 7 feet ish going almost 60 mph. I guess I exaggerated, it's not typical per se, but people here definitely don't feel uncomfortable following very close on the highway.
And I thought 2 seconds was the rule!

In fact, I thought there was some study that human with good reflex and *attention* (barring cellphone use or chatting) should be able to react within a second or so to brake. Thus, the 2 second rules. The higher the speed, the more space you have in the front. Simple physics.

Actually, I believe I first encountered the 70 mph tailgating was in the SF area on highway 101 out of the airport. That was scary as hell, but then you got to adapt with the flow and go with it. Some days later I was tailgating other drivers at the same speed as well.
Want.FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote