follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #57
R0ME0
ハチロク

Drives: Evo X
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
I'll call give them a call later today. Thanks for the heads up. Have you ever bought any of their products/are they pretty decent?
They were at SEMA very similar to DEPOT etc
R0ME0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:28 PM   #58
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
My name is Jason...
Damnit. Sorry about that, Im horrible with names.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #59
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by civicdrivr View Post
Damnit. Sorry about that, Im horrible with names.
No worries, I am bad with names too.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #60
Dark_Angle

Drives: 91 Turbo Mr2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yeah Ptuning said that he had a dedicated track car already. He also said that he was just doing small things for now at least until companies such as Cobb(who isn't interested) makes some kind of piggy back or stand alone. To me this means that it could never happen. I would expect that the turbo version of the fr-s will be available by then. At that point they would probably just find someone that has a turbo fr-s. My 2 cents.
Dark_Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #61
Lonewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Angle View Post
Yeah Ptuning said that he had a dedicated track car already. He also said that he was just doing small things for now at least until companies such as Cobb(who isn't interested) makes some kind of piggy back or stand alone. To me this means that it could never happen. I would expect that the turbo version of the fr-s will be available by then. At that point they would probably just find someone that has a turbo fr-s. My 2 cents.
I wouldn't underestimate the following of this car. It hasn't even officially gone on sale and a ton of upgrades are already in the works. Not too mention that the level of excitement that the FRS/BRZ is generating far eclipses the commotion when both the Z returned to the USA and the Evo first arrived here (and you know how many aftermarket parts you can throw at those cars)

Haltech, Greddy, or AEM will have a piggyback unit ready to go sooner than you think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #62
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

I don't know about that. I am sure something can be done turbo kit wise.

Honestly that's probably the first thing I am going to talk to them about mainly because they know how to do them and I don't want a greddy kit.
kanundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #63
Dark_Angle

Drives: 91 Turbo Mr2
Dont get me wrong I def. think this car is amazing. I went to the first drive event and it was simply amazing. I have mine on order. I just think it might turn into a situation kind of like the 90's mr2. They didn't and still haven't done anything to the 2.2L mr2. But the turbo model had a lot of options for the simple fact that it was already had a turbo. That is why most owners do swaps. I hope for the best for these guys because I can't wait to buy and install great parts on my fr-s.
Dark_Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #64
civicdrivr

Id love a turbo kit, but Im more interested in a supercharger setup (which isnt PTunings thing). But as Tommy with PTuning said, tuning is #1 thing.

Kanundrum definitely has the #1 spot there. I told Tommy my car might see some track days and autocrossing, but I just want to have fun with it and not get too serious. But I did tell him that its not a daily, so they can have it for about a week or so to develop parts on or get measurements.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #65
kanundrum

Quote:
Id love a turbo kit, but Im more interested in a supercharger setup (which isnt PTunings thing). But as Tommy with PTuning said, tuning is #1 thing.

Kanundrum definitely has the #1 spot there. I told Tommy my car might see some track days and autocrossing, but I just want to have fun with it and not get too serious. But I did tell him that its not a daily, so they can have it for about a week or so to develop parts on or get measurements.
If its centrifugal I will run far far far away from it, enough of that on my scion tC and the hassles. Had it replaced 3 times.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #66
civicdrivr

Quote:
Dont get me wrong I def. think this car is amazing. I went to the first drive event and it was simply amazing. I have mine on order. I just think it might turn into a situation kind of like the 90's mr2. They didn't and still haven't done anything to the 2.2L mr2. But the turbo model had a lot of options for the simple fact that it was already had a turbo. That is why most owners do swaps. I hope for the best for these guys because I can't wait to buy and install great parts on my fr-s.
This may have to do with the fact that the turbo was a better base to build upon. There is no definite plans for a boosted factory FR-S/BRZ. Last I read the STi would be NA and that TRD is working on an accessory s/c'er. I definitely think the tuning will be there for our engine. The aftermarket companies wouldnt drop the ball on something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
If its centrifugal I will run far far far away from it, enough of that on my scion tC and the hassles. Had it replaced 3 times.
Are you the one that mentioned the issues you had, specifically with the pulley, in another thread? If so, there is a pretty big difference between the two cars. The Tc had a shaft that ran the length of the motor due to space. It placed the blower on the transmission side of the engine bay with a shaft running to the accessory belts. The FR-S/BRZ doesnt need that (look at the HKS kit). You can mount the blower right in line with the belts, which should reduce stress on the parts.

I also think that was a horrible manufacturing defect for it to break like that. My friend runs a shop and builds many supercharger kits for the Honda J series. They use the same system as the TC kit, just with an roots blower. He fabricates the shaft, presses the bearings, and fabricates all the brackets himself - the pulley is purchased elsewhere. None have had any issues, and these are build 3.5 and 3.6l engines making north of 400hp at the wheels.

Last edited by civicdrivr; 05-08-2012 at 06:49 PM.
civicdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #67
Lonewolf

Bump for Spyder Auto...let's get rid of those crappy stock tails!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
Hawaiian (05-09-2012), Turbowned (05-10-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #68
kanundrum

Quote:
This may have to do with the fact that the turbo was a better base to build upon. There is no definite plans for a boosted factory FR-S/BRZ. Last I read the STi would be NA and that TRD is working on an accessory s/c'er. I definitely think the tuning will be there for our engine. The aftermarket companies wouldnt drop the ball on something like this.

Are you the one that mentioned the issues you had, specifically with the pulley, in another thread? If so, there is a pretty big difference between the two cars. The Tc had a shaft that ran the length of the motor due to space. It placed the blower on the transmission side of the engine bay with a shaft running to the accessory belts. The FR-S/BRZ doesnt need that (look at the HKS kit). You can mount the blower right in line with the belts, which should reduce stress on the parts.

I also think that was a horrible manufacturing defect for it to break like that. My friend runs a shop and builds many supercharger kits for the Honda J series. They use the same system as the TC kit, just with an roots blower. He fabricates the shaft, presses the bearings, and fabricates all the brackets himself - the pulley is purchased elsewhere. None have had any issues, and these are build 3.5 and 3.6l engines making north of 400hp at the wheels.
actually no, it was at the seals/bearings the super charger unit was produced by Vortech (hence centrifugal) if the TRD unit (from what i read somewhere) is going to be another rebadged vortech unit I would be cautious
Old 05-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #69
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:

From what I got from the scion forums the trd sc was garbage due to the shaft and bearings. After 3 blowouts a forum member fabricated new quality parts and had no more issues.

Is anyone aware of any performance manufacturers that are in the midwest? I'm willing to offer my car up, but I can't find much out here.
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #70
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Drives: Mazdaspeed 6 2.3 AWD Turbo
Garage
Quote:

I agree 100% i did a lot of research and it looked to be a bad design in the shaft.... but i didnt own a TC so..... but the frs will not need a shaft enabling quicker power delivery and the ability to hold more power!!!

92 carmy -> 86 corolla-> Honda S2000 -> Audi TT -> Mazdaspeed6 -> NEXT UP TOYOTA FT-86!!!!
ESBjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote