follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The new v4 tune vs ofh tune

Hey guys

I’m currently running the old ofh stage 2 tune I got from the website a year ago. Now checking the forums and the website, there is a new tune. I was wondering if there is any significant updates worth updating my tune, as I did a couple of things on it ( low idle at start up and launch control).

Thanks for reading my post !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allowe For This Useful Post:
Viper8 (08-19-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #2
Hella Basa

Drives: 2014 Subaru Brz Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The v4 tune includes the low idle during cold start. Going to follow this thread because I would like to know also if there's a big difference between v2 and v4. Personally I've tried both but they feel the same only difference is when starting from first gear and then 2nd gear it's a lot smoother on v4 tune, at least for me.
Hella Basa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
sandy s

Drives: 86 gt
Yes the v4 tune is smooth and quiet two thing I dont care about.The throttle response is slow and I just prefer the v2 .I took the car for a short drive and put the v2 tune back on.Is there something I am missing here ? Should I have driven the car longer to get used to it? Are there any other advantages to v4 I should be looking at? Cheers Sandy
sandy s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,765 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy s View Post
Yes the v4 tune is smooth and quiet two thing I dont care about.The throttle response is slow and I just prefer the v2 .I took the car for a short drive and put the v2 tune back on.Is there something I am missing here ? Should I have driven the car longer to get used to it? Are there any other advantages to v4 I should be looking at? Cheers Sandy
Drive the car longer, the pedal have a kind dead spot bit you will get used and throttle become more crisper. Low end is more smooth, perfectly for daily drive on city
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy s View Post
V4.03 gives better throttle response I think.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
v4 is certainly smoother although i suspect a little power was left on the table to accommodate the uel/el & 91/93 oct combined into 1 tune. i also eventually went back to ofh v2 even though it is a little jerkier during the transition on/off throttle.

i ran v4 on a tank of 93 so i put plenty of miles and even modified the tune to force iam to '1'.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
allowe

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Sounds like a lot of people prefer the v2 tune over the new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:53 AM   #8
Sam.Vera
Detective John Kimble

Drives: 2016 FR-S
I've been using the v4 stage2+ tune for awhile now (using 94 octane fuel) and I can honestly say I can find no real difference between it and using the old v2 91 EL tune. I even visit a quarter mile drag strip now and then, and my times received no improvement with the new tune with better fuel.

I actually still have the old v2 OpenFlash header tunes on my computer. Maybe I'll throw it on my car and see how it behaves.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
Jasonb

Drives: 17 Series Yellow BRZ
The only good tunes for the 2017 MT model is the V4 tunes. The V3 was basically there to turn the check engine light off. Using the v4.03 stage 2+ tune with 93. Had to make some adjustments, but the power difference from stock is big.
Jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:42 PM   #10
chazmuska

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Thumbs up

I went from the V2 to V4 and it feels a lot better for me! I think it depends a lot on what supporting mods your car has which can affect how it "feels." I runthe Stage 2+ and the Stage 2+ e85 and both are awesome! The quiet start (for me at least) was worth it alone. It just feels smoother and power delivery is more linear. I have a k&n dropin filter/ full catless exhaust (borla UEL header, PL overpipe, nvidia midpipe, 3" Perrin catback)/ and lightweight crankpulley.

Maybe with just a carbon fiber driveshaft...and it will be perfect. This may be off topic but Enkei rims made a huge improvement overall! I literally give mustang 5.0's a hard time LOL! Until the warranty runs out...I may go forced induction!
Attached Images

Last edited by chazmuska; 06-27-2018 at 05:53 PM.
chazmuska is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chazmuska For This Useful Post:
mgarcia707 (08-20-2018)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:56 PM   #11
Viper8

Drives: Scion FRS
Would love to hear @Shiv@Openflash chime in on the truth data on the difference in tunes if he has time!
Viper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #12
Riftur

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Anyone have a stock FRS that can give their opinion on the tunes? I have a 2013 auto FRS that I switch to e85 and would like to know how the newer tunes are. Thanks
Riftur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:25 PM   #13
jRuN

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Are the older tunes available to download still? I just got my OFT so the tunes i received from them are the v4.03 versions. I have been driving it for a couple days now and a couple things for me.

1. I most definitely have the throttle deadspot .. feels like i can push the pedal in a half inch or so before any throttle input is registered.

2. I took a datalog.. i pressed record and rev'd out 3rd gear from about 3k RPM all the way to redline and then let off. In the log.. the throttle input only reached 96% and actually kind of tapered off towards the end of the rpm range. I found this to be a little odd.. I will be trying to do another log tomorrow to see if i get the same result.

3. I'm not sure about this "quiet idle" you guys are talking about? When i cold start .. the engine rev's up to a higher rpm.. and then after 30 secs or so drops down to 700ish rpm. What is the quiet start RPM you guys are seeing on cold start?

4. Speaking of idles.. idle was pretty solid the first day but i've actually noticed today that mine is now bouncing around a little bit while at stop lights.. it will drop and then almost stutter a little bit and then bounce up higher.. and settle back at 700.. and then repeat that. A/C is ON btw.. (live in FL)

So.. that's kinda my situation.. not sure what's up.. gonna keep driving and logging and experimenting i guess.. but i've done no modifications to the tune.. just straight from OFT.
jRuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:56 AM   #14
freerunner

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jRuN View Post
4. Speaking of idles.. idle was pretty solid the first day but i've actually noticed today that mine is now bouncing around a little bit while at stop lights.. it will drop and then almost stutter a little bit and then bounce up higher.. and settle back at 700.. and then repeat that. A/C is ON btw.. (live in FL)
Had the same problem here. Idle is too lean. Can't be resolved via maf scaling, though. One possibility is to edit the front o2 sensor scaling. There are probably other tables to correct these conditions but I haven't dug into it yet.
freerunner is offline   Reply With Quote