follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
Shiv@Openflash

Old 05-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #15
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WELL SAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Well fuck me, bad customer service from OFT/OFH

Who would have thought??

Several threads indicate this is the case..

Was considering biting my tongue, if you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say it at all gist but stuff it...

Personal experience indicates to me they don't know what customer service actually is, e.g. responding to queries/ concerns/ questions promptly and adequately..

But I tell you what, they respond to purchase requests damn quick..

Flame away

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:08 PM   #16
FISHBURGLAR

Drives: whiteout fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Finally heard from shiv. Not speaking one bad word of open flash as they have not done anything wrong. I did void my warranty by getting it ceramic coated. Another thing, we modify our cars and expect to get first hand treatment. We are responsible for our actions. If this cracked I can't blame anyone but "shit happens "..i don't think it should have broke but it did. yes they are slow to respond. But I finally received a response. It is all I wanted.

I voided the warranty by ceramic coating. Will not be replaced. I will not make a fight or a fuss. Shit happens. Time now to get this fixed. I will clean this header up and weld it. Then sell it so stay on the lookout for a cheap header...

Considering I might as well get a new header I'm opting for the JDL. I have OFT so I will have to dial her up all over again. Just wanting to know if there is a dyno comparison with their UEL and EL header.

I'm opting for JDL for quality,warranty,customer service, ceramic coating, andproven power based on the reviews on this site...

Just wondering if also there are maps for JDL on OFT, if hate to go to ecutec and spend more money.
FISHBURGLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FISHBURGLAR For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (05-05-2017), strat61caster (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #17
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBURGLAR View Post
Finally heard from shiv. Not speaking one bad word of open flash as they have not done anything wrong. I did void my warranty by getting it ceramic coated. Another thing, we modify our cars and expect to get first hand treatment. We are responsible for our actions. If this cracked I can't blame anyone but "shit happens "..i don't think it should have broke but it did. yes they are slow to respond. But I finally received a response. It is all I wanted.

I voided the warranty by ceramic coating. Will not be replaced. I will not make a fight or a fuss. Shit happens. Time now to get this fixed. I will clean this header up and weld it. Then sell it so stay on the lookout for a cheap header...

Considering I might as well get a new header I'm opting for the JDL. I have OFT so I will have to dial her up all over again. Just wanting to know if there is a dyno comparison with their UEL and EL header.

I'm opting for JDL for quality,warranty,customer service, ceramic coating, andproven power based on the reviews on this site...

Just wondering if also there are maps for JDL on OFT, if hate to go to ecutec and spend more money.
The OTS tunes will work for the JDL header.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:28 PM   #18
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:

Who would have thought??

Was considering biting my tongue, if you ain't got nothing nice to say, don't say it at all gist but stuff it...

Personal experience indicates to me they don't know what customer service actually is, e.g. responding to queries/ concerns/ questions promptly and adequately..

Flame away
I'm not sure how fair this assessment is. This time of year it's normal for us to operate on a 2-3 wait time. Orders are processed immediately because they are automatically through the website. Whereas I have to answer each email manually while simultaneously working on a dozen custom e-tuning jobs at any give time and still finding time to tune a few GT86s on the dyno every week. In this case, FISHBURGLAR emailed us two days ago. His email was read and replied to this morning. Here is my response to him and hopefully it will help others when thinking about ceramic coating:

"Hi Umar,
That explains it. Without coating the inside, the heat gets into the metal but then can't be shed. So operating temps for the metal are much higher than they would be with no coating. For cases where coating must be applied, it is absolutely necessary to do both inside and outside to prevent this situation. And even then, you risk the issue of the coating being applied unevenly inside and out. I have been experimenting with various coating options for over 15yrs now and the ironic thing is that the better the coating gets (better heat barrier), the worse they potentially are for the exhaust material.

Most of the headers that come with "ceramic coating" from the manufacturer is nothing more than glorified paint which has little to no hear barrier properties. But Jethot 2800 is the real deal so it needs to be applied evenly everywhere, on BOTH interior and exterior surfaces. Frankly, I'm surprised the header lasted two years with only exterior coating.

Unfortunately, I can't warranty your OFH2 given the circumstances. The best I can do is extend a $100 courtesy discount to you. I know it's not much but our margin on these headers isn't very deep. Currently we are sold out of all OFH2 and OFH3 but we have another shipment arriving next week. I believe we have a couple OFH2s that are unspoken for.

Another option would be to repair your header. But I suspect it will just crack again in another location before too long "
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
Chad_W (05-06-2017), FISHBURGLAR (05-04-2017), Sportsguy83 (05-05-2017), Tcoat (05-04-2017), Teseo (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #19
FISHBURGLAR

Like i said once i will repeat again... open flash did nothing wrong and offered me a courtesy 100$....

PLEASE CLOSE THREAD... I DO NOT WANT OPENFLASH TO GET HURT IN THE BUSINESS. I HAVE NOT ARGUED OR SPOKE BAD OF OPENFLASH. SHIV IS PROFESSIONAL AND DID EVERYTHING HE CAN! I give open flash a round of applause.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FISHBURGLAR For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (05-05-2017), strat61caster (05-04-2017), Tcoat (05-04-2017), Teseo (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #20
FISHBURGLAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
I'm not sure how fair this assessment is. This time of year it's normal for us to operate on a 2-3 wait time. Orders are processed immediately because they are automatically through the website. Whereas I have to answer each email manually while simultaneously working on a dozen custom e-tuning jobs at any give time and still finding time to tune a few GT86s on the dyno every week. In this case, FISHBURGLAR emailed us two days ago. His email was read and replied to this morning. Here is my response to him and hopefully it will help others when thinking about ceramic coating:

"Hi Umar,
That explains it. Without coating the inside, the heat gets into the metal but then can't be shed. So operating temps for the metal are much higher than they would be with no coating. For cases where coating must be applied, it is absolutely necessary to do both inside and outside to prevent this situation. And even then, you risk the issue of the coating being applied unevenly inside and out. I have been experimenting with various coating options for over 15yrs now and the ironic thing is that the better the coating gets (better heat barrier), the worse they potentially are for the exhaust material.

Most of the headers that come with "ceramic coating" from the manufacturer is nothing more than glorified paint which has little to no hear barrier properties. But Jethot 2800 is the real deal so it needs to be applied evenly everywhere, on BOTH interior and exterior surfaces. Frankly, I'm surprised the header lasted two years with only exterior coating.

Unfortunately, I can't warranty your OFH2 given the circumstances. The best I can do is extend a $100 courtesy discount to you. I know it's not much but our margin on these headers isn't very deep. Currently we are sold out of all OFH2 and OFH3 but we have another shipment arriving next week. I believe we have a couple OFH2s that are unspoken for.

Another option would be to repair your header. But I suspect it will just crack again in another location before too long "

I want to repeat OPENFLASH did nothing wrong and I give my thanks to shiv. All I wanted was a response and I got it. I was nervous I wasn't going to repeat one. After 3 days I got it. That is all I wanted. Shiv thanks for doing the best you can.. I am not here to hurt your business, nor flame your product...

Please close and delete THREAD thank you.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #21
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBURGLAR View Post
I want to repeat OPENFLASH did nothing wrong and I give my thanks to shiv. All I wanted was a response and I got it. I was nervous I wasn't going to repeat one. After 3 days I got it. That is all I wanted. Shiv thanks for doing the best you can.. I am not here to hurt your business, nor flame your product...

Please close and delete THREAD thank you.
No worries. And there is no reason to delete this thread. If anything, it may help people when they consider ceramic coating. It's important to know that all ceramic coating and its application is not created equally.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
FISHBURGLAR (05-04-2017), strat61caster (05-04-2017), Tcoat (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #22
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
So is wrapping the best way to go about heat protection?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Somerandom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #23
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandom18 View Post
So is wrapping the best way to go about heat protection?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I wouldn't think so because it can trap moisture. Best bet would be to sandblast it first, then have a quality ceramic coating applied.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
I wouldn't think so because it can trap moisture. Best bet would be to sandblast it first, then have a quality ceramic coating applied.
The sandblasting can be iffy as well. Just a little too much and you can weaken welds, thin out walls and actually even encourage rust in any little break in the ceramic. Anybody sandblasting them really needs to know their stuff.
There are pluses and minuses to any heat control on headers.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #25
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Crack in My ofh

There's VVT tables for the OTS maps to tailor them to the JDL UEL. It's really easy to edit them on your computer. Look here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74754

Headers do not crack because of ceramic coatings. That's all I'm going to say, not trying to start shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Yoshoobaroo; 05-04-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #26
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,469 Times in 4,992 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Headers do not crack because of ceramic coatings. That's all I'm going to say.
Headers fail because of heat, metal that is constantly heated and cooled wears and can eventually wear out. Changing the way heat transfer happens in the engine bay means you're garage engineering your car's thermal management system, sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

The OE headers will fail if you put more heat into them then stock, I wouldn't be surprised if we see *more NA OE headers fail down the road, it will just take longer for them to hit that fatigue point.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=364
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93200

Not trying to start shit either, but promote understanding of why parts fail. Can sub-par welds be the cause? Absolutely. Poor materials? Yes. Altering the thermal environment the part operates in? Just as logical.

Last edited by strat61caster; 05-04-2017 at 03:50 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
FISHBURGLAR (05-04-2017), KnightRyderx2 (05-04-2017), Tcoat (05-04-2017), Yoshoobaroo (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #27
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Thissen View Post
So many people get worried about trapped moisture. 304 Stainless will take a long time to degrade, wrapped or unwrapped. When you're driving, you will burn off all said moisture regardless.

Modern wrap technology is crazy good. Hot rods, motor bikes, etc abuse the hell out of it. The REAL concern of wrap is if oil gets on it - it can potentially become a fire hazard.

Either way, wrapping or coating a header nukes its warranty. Period.
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpectreRT For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (05-04-2017), strat61caster (05-04-2017), Tcoat (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 04:14 PM   #28
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Who would have thought??

Flame away

Not a flame but I disagree with this completely (our first disagreement I think). Yes, there are a handful of threads where people complained that they had not heard something back quickly but they did receive replies. Of course I have no clue what your personal issue was so can't comment on that but since they are not a huge company with a massive staff I would expect delays if I was trying to deal with them. When you do get a response it is at least personal and right from the horses mouth not some customer service lackey that does nothing but relay info. For every single person that has claimed to have an issue on here there are probably a hundred or more with nothing but praise. People need to cut the guy some slack and have patience when dealing with any small but very popular and busy business. If this was a huge company I would agree in a heart beat but it isn't it is almost a one man show that is one of the leaders in the industry on this platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
No worries. And there is no reason to delete this thread. If anything, it may help people when they consider ceramic coating. It's important to know that all ceramic coating and its application is not created equally.
THIS ^ is customer service no matter how you look at it!
FISHBURGLAR (05-04-2017), G-Man (05-05-2017), jubella2 (05-05-2017), KnightRyderx2 (05-04-2017), mrderp (05-05-2017), Shiv@Openflash (05-04-2017), strat61caster (05-04-2017), Teseo (05-04-2017)