follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #29
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can we beat that guy up?
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wootwoot For This Useful Post:
avishenoy1 (04-19-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 06:43 PM   #30
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by avishenoy1 View Post
So I bought my OFH from FT86POWER on the forum.... I'm assuming that it was one that didn't pass inspection. Can i get a replacement? Or can you provide me with more information on this guy so that I can get my money back through paypal?
Your Paypal receipt should show his name since he was using a verified account. That's all you should really need to file a claim through Paypal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
Can we beat that guy up?
That would make my day.
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
avishenoy1 (04-19-2016), Ingen (11-16-2016), raven1231 (04-22-2016), tato.valverde (04-18-2016)
Old 04-18-2016, 06:51 PM   #31
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Hmmmm, making me rethink going ahead with sending payment today.

You should still buy it if you have an OFT, or go with the Gruppe S uel (basically a tomei uel) regardless the current ones do not have this issue.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #32
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
yeah, shivs been very transparent about any issues that have come up with anything, theres no reason to be weary of the products. The OFH i had on my car for over a year of tracking looked perfect when i removed it.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troek For This Useful Post:
eddieflyinv (04-29-2016), FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-20-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #33
EastBayCanuck

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I remember seeing that guy's ads all the time. Always thought something was fishy in the fact he had a new OFH nearly every month that he "decided to go another route" with. Felt to good to be true.
EastBayCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:08 AM   #34
eddieflyinv

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBayCanuck View Post
I remember seeing that guy's ads all the time. Always thought something was fishy in the fact he had a new OFH nearly every month that he "decided to go another route" with. Felt to good to be true.
I bought my Crawford BPB from him. and right after paying I kept seeing multiple FS threads from him offering the same product... i thought I was about to get scammed out of $300 thinking he kept trying to sell the same one to multiple people :/
Sorry to hear that though @Shiv@Openflash, I now have some minor moral crisis going on because you were great to deal with in the speedy replacement of my OFT, and I ended up having bought what are likely stolen products of yours..

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
eddieflyinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #35
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Well don't just tell us... show us!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLAutoDesign View Post
No,

That crack is from all those fish eyes. Google "tig welding fisheye" for an explanation as its not my place to talk about others welding practices however i don't want miss information to be spread as to why something would crack. FWIW there's pictures on this forum of what's regarded as a super high end header that's full of them too.

Is this an example of what you're talking about?

Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #36
speeddemon

Drives: Scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So I heard a faint ticking sound from my exhaust and after reading this thread thought it might be the header. I put it on stands, pulled the OFH, and sure enough a crack at the weld bead. I contacted Shiv at Openflash and he responded within minutes. He said they are well aware of the first couple batches having this problem and that he would send me a BRAND NEW OFH3 at no cost to me for my troubles. What a great guy, what a great company, what a great product. Thanks again Shiv.
speeddemon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to speeddemon For This Useful Post:
DustinS (07-21-2016), KalbiCool88 (12-22-2016), tato.valverde (06-06-2016), zc06_kisstherain (11-08-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 03:35 PM   #37
jwvand02

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
this thread is timely... I've been trying and trying to find the source of a very similar symptom. Mechanic told me he thinks it's near the flange on the passenger side. Gonna pull the header and have a look.
jwvand02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #38
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMPeach View Post
Reviving this thread. I also just got a crack on my Openflash Header, I don't have pictures yet, but will be sure to post them once its off later today. Mine does not look to be in the same spot as the others posted in this thread, as I can see the crack when looking down through the engine. I bought mine directly from the openflash website so I would assume mine isn't one of the batches that was stolen from them. Is Shiv still offering replacement headers for customers who's headers cracked? I had mine installed February 2015 and I'm about half a year outside of the warranty period.
It's best to contact @Shiv@Openflash and see what he can do for you.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #39
xxBrun0xx

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
Hi guys,
Just saw this thread. If anyone has experienced cracks in their OFH, please contact me and we can arrange for a replacement. I understand there was a small batch of OFHs manufactured last year that weren't manufactured to the same standard as they should be. We have since then put systems in place to ensure that this does not happen again. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Just wanted to bring this thread back. I originally had the crack in my header welded by a local shop and everything was hunky dory. After a month or two I started hearing leaking at cold start. I figured a bolt had come loose, and didn't sweat it. This past weekend I finally had a chance to get under the car and check the torque on all the nuts. They were all good, but after inspecting the weld, I noticed the header had continued to crack past the welded section. The crack is now in a spot that I would imagine would be difficult to weld (between the two tubes on passenger side near the engine flange. I emailed @Shiv@Openflash to see if his quoted offer to replace these defective headers still stood, but haven't heard anything (hopefully he's just busy).

Will continue to update this with progress and pics once I get back under the car.

Last edited by xxBrun0xx; 11-08-2016 at 01:42 PM.
xxBrun0xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #40
sirbobbinhood

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure how your shop went about welding the crack but it's pretty normal for a crack that's been welded over to crack again or for the crack to keep going. Rewelding a crack can actually make it worse unless you drill out the ends of the crack and normally reinforce it with a plate over it.
sirbobbinhood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirbobbinhood For This Useful Post:
mitch t (01-10-2017)
Old 01-08-2017, 03:38 AM   #41
RedFRS4me

Drives: Firestorm '13
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Wow I wonder if this is what's happening to my OFH. I bought mine used from someone else and he said it had a crack in one part of the welds but had the header welded by a shop. Didn't think nothing of it and installed for a year and a half without a hitch. Then recently with subfreezing temperatures, I started noticing an exhaust leak on cold start and while driving under load. I got new header gaskets and checked the spot of the weld and it looked fine. Maybe I should have checked the other welds for cracks?

I knew I should have spent more time examining the welds. Now I gotta drop the header again.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:06 PM   #42
mitch t

Drives: stx class lava frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
It's a long story. We have had a problem with theft over the last several years. Someone who went by the name of FT86Power was stealing OFTs, OFHs, etc,. from our inventory and selling them on this forum through the private classifieds. Unfortunately, he was stealing OFHs that didn't pass our visual QA. They were supposed to go back to the manufacturer. Instead, he sold them on the forum to unsuspecting members for a quick buck.

Besides those, we have replaced only 4 OFHs over the last 3 years. Out of a few hundred sold, that's statistically insignificant. But it's certainly not insignificant for those who had to take the time to remove it and reinstall a replacement. We had a few units ship out prior to putting into a place a visual QA. If i had to set a date, I would say these units came out early last year (2015). Mind you, only a couple percent of them would have failed the QA. So it certainly doesn't effect the majority. But still, we are eager to get any failed units back for inspection and replacement.

The header tubing is indeed 304 stainless steel. The flanges are not stainless since there is no real advantage going SS there.

Shiv@Openflash, I admire your dedication to customer service. as a manufacturer myself, I know how hard it is to keep all of the plates spinning, and still try to make a profit.

To warranty a part that was bought second hand, especially a header, and ESPECIALLY a header that was stolen from you in the first place, is a pretty stand up move, and highly unusual in the exhaust industry.

I worked in the R&D department at DC Sports for several years, so i have a pretty good idea about the difficulty involved in designing and manufacturing a header system that makes power and is truly durable.

Also, got anything CARB legal? im jonesing for a header but i live in LA.
mitch t is offline   Reply With Quote