follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Element Tuning Track Tested and Track Proven FRS Video

What can I say but amazing for 155 whp! We didn't plan on racing our FRS this weekend for the Whelen USTT Championship but with our STi down and out we decided to make lemonade!

With the FRS there just to show off I couldn't think of a better way to fully test this car than to throw it into battle against much more serious hardware. With everyone on race tires we stuffed our STi Rota DPT race wheels and tires on there and gave it a go.

Dual view in car video from the Whelen USTT Championship round at NJ Motorsports Thunderbolt.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxAkNUQ24Pk"]Element Tuning FRS/BRZ Whelen USTT 2012 NJ - YouTube[/ame]

With such little power going up against some heavy weights we didn't win anything but huge respect from everyone that saw this car on the track. I'm not sure I every got a totally clean lap due to getting passed into turn 1 but I managed a 1:40.07 at NJ Thunderbolt. For 155 hp and a 3000 lbs race weight, that's really good. I'm confident a 1:39 was what I could have done but the old race tires were just about corded so I couldn't really give it another shot in hopes of some clear track.

I had a couple strange issues related to the power steering and when I spun out once the car wouldn't restart for awhile. Under heavy braking and turning (Turn 11) is was as if the power steering failed. I'm not sure if the race tires had too much grip under braking for the power steering or there's some funny VSC (it was all off) that doesn't like you trail braking.

Had a blast and can't wait to fully build this car up into a potent Time Attack race car. We should have our prototype Hydra EMS computer in about a week and hopefully our custom valved BC Suspension in 3 weeks.

Thanks,
Phil Grabow

Last edited by Element Tuning; 06-11-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
Asterisked Accolade (06-11-2012), davesrave (06-12-2012), Dimman (06-13-2012), ESBjiujitsu (06-12-2012), Fly Guy (06-11-2012), MarkRacerX (06-28-2012), phm14 (06-13-2012), Rampage (06-11-2012), rice_classic (06-19-2012), ultra (06-11-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Drives: Celica GT-S | 89 Supra | 07' Accent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Oh God i have been waiting for someone on here to make a proper track car out of these. It looks great with those wheels and tires, by the way.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Asterisked Accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Volt, 02 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Element Tuning View Post
What can I say but amazing for 155 whp! We didn't plan on racing our FRS this weekend for the Whelen USTT Championship but with our STi down and out we decided to make lemonade!

With the FRS there just to show off I couldn't think of a better way to fully test this car than to throw it into battle against much more serious hardware. With everyone on race tires we stuffed our STi Rota DPT race wheels and tires on there and gave it a go.

Dual view in car video from the Whelen USTT Championship round at NJ Motorsports Thunderbolt.

With such little power going up against some heavy weights we didn't win anything but huge respect from everyone that saw this car on the track. I'm not sure I every got a totally clean lap due to getting passed into turn 1 but I managed a 1:40.07 at NJ Thunderbolt. For 155 hp and a 3000 lbs race weight, that's really good. I'm confident a 1:39 was what I could have done but the old race tires were just about corded so I couldn't really give it another shot in hopes of some clear track.

I had a couple strange issues related to the power steering and when I spun out once the car wouldn't restart for awhile. Under heavy braking and turning (Turn 11) is was as if the power steering failed. I'm not sure if the race tires had too much grip under braking for the power steering or there's some funny VSC (it was all off) that doesn't like you trail braking.

Had a blast and can't wait to fully build this car up into a potent Time Attack race car. We should have our prototype Hydra EMS computer in about a week and hopefully our custom valved BC Suspension in 3 weeks.

Thanks,
Phil Grabow
In the manual there is a note about how the vehicle will intentionally reduce the electric power assist system if the EPS motor starts to get hot. Was their an esses section prior to turn 11 or a series of quick turns? (not familiar with the track). Hopefully their decision to move the electric steering system up into the column didnt compromise its ability to cool like a rack-mounted system.
Sccabrz192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
Element Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccabrz192 View Post
In the manual there is a note about how the vehicle will intentionally reduce the electric power assist system if the EPS motor starts to get hot. Was their an esses section prior to turn 11 or a series of quick turns? (not familiar with the track). Hopefully their decision to move the electric steering system up into the column didnt compromise its ability to cool like a rack-mounted system.
Admittedly I have never touched the manual. Picked the car up Monday night and was on the track Saturday

NJ Motorsports is extremely technical and leading up to the problem section you are in an extremely long right hand sweeper. It was happening at the exit of turn 11 or 9 (not sure how they call it).

Steering feel and response overall is better than anything else I've ever driven. I was doing 8-12 laps so I was out there a long time but it was only a problem in that one spot so I bet due to the long sweeping turn it could have overheated the electric motor.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #5
Element Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisked Accolade View Post
Oh God i have been waiting for someone on here to make a proper track car out of these. It looks great with those wheels and tires, by the way.
Don't worry we will be creating a serious track weapon but it was nice to just push the stock platform and realize how good it really is. I mean besides tires, 100% stock! I bet I could get two seconds out of the car with some real race brake pads.

It's also really nice to hone your skills on a low power car as it really teaches you to use 100% and then some of the track, keep up your momentum, and to keep that steering wheel open so you don't scrub so much speed. In the world of 500+ whp Unlimited Time Attack cars with huge downforce you spend a lot of time just maintaining control of the car and correcting vs. being inch perfect.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Garage
Quote:
Don't worry we will be creating a serious track weapon but it was nice to just push the stock platform and realize how good it really is. I mean besides tires, 100% stock! I bet I could get two seconds out of the car with some real race brake pads.

It's also really nice to hone your skills on a low power car as it really teaches you to use 100% and then some of the track, keep up your momentum, and to keep that steering wheel open so you don't scrub so much speed. In the world of 500+ whp Unlimited Time Attack cars with huge downforce you spend a lot of time just maintaining control of the car and correcting vs. being inch perfect.
Speaking of that, i was noticing the huge amount of momentum you were maintaining while trailing the Yellow Corvette, and i have to say i was very impressed. Then, he would squirt ink in your face and scamper off on the straight aways. Then in the next corner you'd be right on him again. It was very fun to watch.

2002 Celica GT-S Track Car | 1989 Supra Track Car | 2007 Hyundai Accent AutoX | 2003 Cadillac CTS Daily
Old 06-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
Element Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisked Accolade View Post
Speaking of that, i was noticing the huge amount of momentum you were maintaining while trailing the Yellow Corvette, and i have to say i was very impressed. Then, he would squirt ink in your face and scamper off on the straight aways. Then in the next corner you'd be right on him again. It was very fun to watch.
That was my biggest problem throughout the day. Let's face it everyone is trying to get clear track but if my momentum was disturbed I was in a world of hurt due to the low power. My entry speeds were typically higher than all the cars around me. Just amazing for a stock car on equal tires (everyone was on race tires).

I eventually did push the car past it's limits and looped out when I took too much curbing. I have more video and when I get a chance I'll get that up also. I had many exiting battles riding inches off bumpers and then my spin out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
Starscream15 (06-12-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
Asterisked Accolade
Pedals over Paddles.

Garage
Quote:
That was my biggest problem throughout the day. Let's face it everyone is trying to get clear track but if my momentum was disturbed I was in a world of hurt due to the low power. My entry speeds were typically higher than all the cars around me. Just amazing for a stock car on equal tires (everyone was on race tires).

I eventually did push the car past it's limits and looped out when I took too much curbing. I have more video and when I get a chance I'll get that up also. I had many exiting battles riding inches off bumpers and then my spin out.
Aww, man you spun out? 'Guess that really goes to show how hard you were pushing. And this is really a testament to the stock set up of the FRS, just like you said. Imagine if you adjusted the suspension and had 45 more horsepower. They'd worship you on Sundays.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
I love this vid.

I mean it'd be one thing to strap on some R comps and shadow faster cars on a trackday just for kicks but I love that those are prepped TA cars out there. When you factor in the fact that the camera car is riding SUV high up in the air on huge 10 inch wide Hoosiers (contrary to conventional wisdom of low & stiff) the WIN meter pretty much falls off the far side of the dial.

Some pretty insane entry speeds being carried right through the bends there too. I see you making some oversteer corrections now and then which makes me feel obliged to ask whether the car still felt well 'within the envelope' (i.e. predictable & controllable) being driven like that, or if you were pushing it a bit towards the edge while filming that vid. And, if you were really pushing it hard, I'd like to know how it behaved at/over the edge given the odd setup and cornering G's and speeds involved.

Was it planted and confidence inspiring, a little light on its feet or perhaps slightly nervous and a little twitchy?
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)

Last edited by ultra; 06-11-2012 at 06:14 PM.
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
Element Tuning

Yeah it looks like a "donk" or something from the movie Cars It was very much a run what's in the trailer situation. Overall it was a heavy for NA setup and larger in diameter than ideal. I just kept up the momentum and made it work.

I was very much in control even at the limit. The tires started to cord on the side I spun and it think that combined with jumping the curb did me in. I was trying to cut inside the curbs but those dumb DE cones were in my way.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
This has got to be one of the most awesome threads I have seen on this website.

Thank you SO much for showing some of the platform's potential. You have just validated the purchase of this car for me, and hundreds of others. I hope they make this a feature story.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tainen For This Useful Post:
Asterisked Accolade (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
Element Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
This has got to be one of the most awesome threads I have seen on this website.

Thank you SO much for showing some of the platform's potential. You have just validated the purchase of this car for me, and hundreds of others. I hope they make this a feature story.
You got it. Honestly I've never driven a car this good, box stock, with just race tires (not even the GTR). Perfect balance, awesome rear diff, etc. I think the aftermarket is likely to make it worse not better so be careful what you buy, this is no WRX! Choice mods will be very important and everything suspension wise we do will be custom valved etc and track tested.

Here's the video on day two when I was pushing harder to break into the 1:39s but the track was just too hot and my tires too wasted. I chase a Ferrari 458 Challenge for about 1 second (LOL) and pass a CTS-V track car on my way to spinning out.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKlWAKGmRC8"]Element Tuning FRS Spin at Whelen USTT 2012 NJ - YouTube[/ame]
Old 06-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
With some camber adjustments, I could see some of that oversteer being adjusted out. I wonder how much you could improve your corner speeds even more that way.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
NYNOMAD

Drives: BRZ WRB LTD MAN
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What a great video! I'm going to have to get out on a track. Limerock...
NYNOMAD is offline   Reply With Quote