follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
FSpeed

Drives: 14' WhiteOut FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Berk Dual Muffler Delete vs Local shop made?

Just a quick question for the more experienced members on the forum.

If I had a local shop make me a "Berk dual muffler delete replica" (save a little money), how would that be different from the original? Is the sound different or anything else, I mean I don't know all the technical details when it comes to this. It seems simple enough for someone to weld some pipes and tips together that mimics the one made by Berk.

I would really appreciate an answer. Thanks in advance.
FSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

Drives: 1991 E30 318iS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Stainless vs aluminized steel is probably the biggest difference. Not many local exhaust shops use stainless. I'm sure you might be able to hunt down a shop that uses stainless but theyre hard to come by in my experience.
VacantSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: GR Corolla
Thanked 3,020 Times in 1,861 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Will more likely sound the same. However, quality may differ (i.e. quality of welds, tips, etc). Also, fitment could become an issue. You won't want a lopsided exhaust. I've always had an exhaust made, but those cars always had the exhaust tips on one side. Didn't want to take a chance with the FR-S.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
FSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
Stainless vs aluminized steel is probably the biggest difference. Not many local exhaust shops use stainless. I'm sure you might be able to hunt down a shop that uses stainless but theyre hard to come by in my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Will more likely sound the same. However, quality may differ (i.e. quality of welds, tips, etc). Also, fitment could become an issue. You won't want a lopsided exhaust. I've always had an exhaust made, but those cars always had the exhaust tips on one side. Didn't want to take a chance with the FR-S.
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

Drives: 1991 E30 318iS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSpeed View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Just to piggy back on what lazagna said, I had a muffler delete made for a previous car. It was only single tip BUT the shop that did it took the tip and put it up on a tall jack (like one to jack an engine up a little if your under the car) and centered it in the tail pipe opening then tack welded the delete together. I'm sure they could get both tips even using this same method.
VacantSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
KungFuWaffle

Drives: Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have a local shop muffler dual tip and it sounds great. I put a resonator to cut down the drone. But still sounds great still
KungFuWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #7
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I have local made muffler delete and its great save about $200 getting it from a local shop who had never done a twin. Love it to death!!
ZOMFGAARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:34 PM   #8
afoust50

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Bought my Berk dual exit delete here
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53447

Quality is top notch. Fitment is perfect. I thought about having a local shop make me one but eventually decided to spentdthe extra $70 to know exactly what I was getting.
afoust50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #9
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If you have a local muffler shop try to make a direct copy of the Berk, they'll most likely use straight pipe in a crush bender rather than welding together mandrel-bent pieces. Most muffler shops do not have mandrel benders to do it right. The airflow disruption from the creases in the bends probably wouldn't make that much of a difference, but they might bug you if you knew they were there.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
FSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
Just to piggy back on what lazagna said, I had a muffler delete made for a previous car. It was only single tip BUT the shop that did it took the tip and put it up on a tall jack (like one to jack an engine up a little if your under the car) and centered it in the tail pipe opening then tack welded the delete together. I'm sure they could get both tips even using this same method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuWaffle View Post
I have a local shop muffler dual tip and it sounds great. I put a resonator to cut down the drone. But still sounds great still
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
I have local made muffler delete and its great save about $200 getting it from a local shop who had never done a twin. Love it to death!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoust50 View Post
Bought my Berk dual exit delete here
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53447

Quality is top notch. Fitment is perfect. I thought about having a local shop make me one but eventually decided to spentdthe extra $70 to know exactly what I was getting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
If you have a local muffler shop try to make a direct copy of the Berk, they'll most likely use straight pipe in a crush bender rather than welding together mandrel-bent pieces. Most muffler shops do not have mandrel benders to do it right. The airflow disruption from the creases in the bends probably wouldn't make that much of a difference, but they might bug you if you knew they were there.
Thanks everyone! Im hoping i can hunt a berk one down since they were having trouble with shipment a few weeks ago. If not I may be forced to go back to my local shop.