follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #169
2much
I wanna go fast

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VacantSky View Post
depends if you want to run crazy camber to get the tire to tuck into the fender when the suspension flexes. I ran my +45's on eibach sportlines and a 245/40 tire set up and the front tires with almost no camber settings were flush with the fender. The +35 is going to poke 10mm more.

I now have 255's and coilovers. I think the 45's are perfect for 90% of the people driving these cars. I plan to track/autocross starting next year and still I'll be sticking with these wheels. I don't want to widen the track of the car any more than flush with the body risking steering response, excessive suspension wear, and turning radius. I run a 3mm spacer in the rear and I'm very happy with how aggressive the car looks without over the top poke or camber.
What I want is fully functional (read: no rubbing on full lock or compression), 17x9 rpf1's on 245/40's, on a 1"/1" spring only drop.

Can this be achieved with the +35's, or +45 w/small spacer?
2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:18 PM   #170
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
depends if you want to run crazy camber to get the tire to tuck into the fender when the suspension flexes. I ran my +45's on eibach sportlines and a 245/40 tire set up and the front tires with almost no camber settings were flush with the fender. The +35 is going to poke 10mm more.

I now have 255's and coilovers. I think the 45's are perfect for 90% of the people driving these cars. I plan to track/autocross starting next year and still I'll be sticking with these wheels. I don't want to widen the track of the car any more than flush with the body risking steering response, excessive suspension wear, and turning radius. I run a 3mm spacer in the rear and I'm very happy with how aggressive the car looks without over the top poke or camber.
Are you saying you are running 0 camber for autocross?
Old 08-13-2014, 01:44 AM   #171
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

Drives: 1991 E30 318iS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Destructer View Post
Do you get any rubbing (at full lock or otherwise)? How much camber are you running? I'm planning on running 17x9 +45 wheels with a 245/40 tire with somewhere around -1 or -1.5 camber all round. I'm also on coilovers.

At full right lock I get a touch of rub every now and then, not every time, I'll notice it pulling into a parking spot. But for regular driving. Absolutely no rub what so ever. It's not tire rub though. I've pulled the wheel to see exactly what it is but with no luck, I can't find any chaffing marks.

I'm not sure my camber settings right now as I just re-adjusted the coilovers recently and need to get it realigned. If I had to guess its at about -2 in the rear and almost neutral up front. And again, no rub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2much View Post
What I want is fully functional (read: no rubbing on full lock or compression), 17x9 rpf1's on 245/40's, on a 1"/1" spring only drop.

Can this be achieved with the +35's, or +45 w/small spacer?
My above statement probably will answer your question. like stated it's not tire rub, and I can't seem to find the cause. Likely its the sway bar but there is no evidence. I've had the car for 28,000 miles now with these wheels on and it's not something I encounter often. I only just noticed it again the other day pulling into my driveway and I noted that it has been a while since I heard it. I had these wheels on sportlines on stock struts and exactly the same thing as the coilovers. It wasn't hitting anywhere on the spring/strut combo. I had 245's on the sportline/oem strut. it was very close. The front is where the clearance becomes an issue. On the 245's I had about 5mm of clearance if I remember correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Are you saying you are running 0 camber for autocross?
I havent began auto crossing yet, once I get my rear sway in I will be getting into the swing of things. I'm getting the car booked for an alignment next week. Probably going to run -2.5 up front and -2.0 in the rear. With the current 0 up front it understears like a fail wheel drive on hard cornering
VacantSky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VacantSky For This Useful Post:
2much (08-13-2014)
Old 08-13-2014, 01:55 AM   #172
s2d4

Quote:
At full right lock I get a touch of rub every now and then, not every time, I'll notice it pulling into a parking spot. But for regular driving. Absolutely no rub what so ever. It's not tire rub though. I've pulled the wheel to see exactly what it is but with no luck, I can't find any chaffing marks.

I'm not sure my camber settings right now as I just re-adjusted the coilovers recently and need to get it realigned. If I had to guess its at about -2 in the rear and almost neutral up front. And again, no rub.

My above statement probably will answer your question. like stated it's not tire rub, and I can't seem to find the cause. Likely its the sway bar but there is no evidence. I've had the car for 28,000 miles now with these wheels on and it's not something I encounter often. I only just noticed it again the other day pulling into my driveway and I noted that it has been a while since I heard it. I had these wheels on sportlines on stock struts and exactly the same thing as the coilovers. It wasn't hitting anywhere on the spring/strut combo. I had 245's on the sportline/oem strut. it was very close. The front is where the clearance becomes an issue. On the 245's I had about 5mm of clearance if I remember correctly

I havent began auto crossing yet, once I get my rear sway in I will be getting into the swing of things. I'm getting the car booked for an alignment next week. Probably going to run -2.5 up front and -2.0 in the rear. With the current 0 up front it understears like a fail wheel drive on hard cornering
Yeah, with -2.5 camber, definitely would've been better with +35.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:56 AM   #173
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

I like the turning radius with the +45's, and the fact that it's less stress on the suspension. I'll be doing a mild brake upgrade for pedal feel with subaru 4 pots and I'll need a small spacer for those, 3-5mm. I'm very happy with the +45's. The +35's made less sense to me personally, my top hats are adjustable for camber so for long journeys I can adjust those to minimize inner tire wear and the wheel wont poke when/if I do. It's a DD first, track rat second.

I'll post up pics with my alignment info when I get it done so people can see how the wheels sit
Old 08-13-2014, 03:12 AM   #174
s2d4

Quote:
I like the turning radius with the +45's, and the fact that it's less stress on the suspension. I'll be doing a mild brake upgrade for pedal feel with subaru 4 pots and I'll need a small spacer for those, 3-5mm. I'm very happy with the +45's. The +35's made less sense to me personally, my top hats are adjustable for camber so for long journeys I can adjust those to minimize inner tire wear and the wheel wont poke when/if I do. It's a DD first, track rat second.

I'll post up pics with my alignment info when I get it done so people can see how the wheels sit
Yeah, go with what you want even if you need a spacer to not rub or fit brakes.

As for poke, -1.3 will be flush with +35, doubt that is bad for dd.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:24 AM   #175
VacantSky
The Angry Brit

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
Yeah, go with what you want even if you need a spacer to not rub or fit brakes.

As for poke, -1.3 will be flush with +35, doubt that is bad for dd.

Sheesh. Not to be a ****, but isn't the purpose of this particular thread so people can discuss the +45 9 inch wide rpf1.

I dont need a spacer to not rub, and a 3mm one for brake clearance is nothing. If budget permits I will run the wilwoods and not even have to run a spacer. I didn't buy these wheels for this car. I had them on the SAAB orginally. Which even with these wheels and rolled fenders I was pushing the functional limits on the stock "wrx" wagon bodys capabilities without pulled fenders and herrafrush for wide wheels.

Then I sold the SAAB, and put them on this car because they worked, they looked good, and are very functional for the purposes of my car.

Do you go into the 17x8 and 17x7 rpf1 threads pushing the 17x9 +35's on people, telling them they bought the wrong wheel in your opinion too? Perhaps you should take pride in the fact that you bought the *correct* wheel if you have the +35's and that everyone else is inferior, rather than down talk what some one else is doing to their car
Old 08-13-2014, 03:29 AM   #176
s2d4

Quote:
Sheesh. Not to be a ****, but isn't the purpose of this particular thread so people can discuss the +45 9 inch wide rpf1.

I dont need a spacer to not rub, and a 3mm one for brake clearance is nothing. If budget permits I will run the wilwoods and not even have to run a spacer. I didn't buy these wheels for this car. I had them on the SAAB orginally. Which even with these wheels and rolled fenders I was pushing the functional limits on the stock "wrx" wagon bodys capabilities without pulled fenders and herrafrush for wide wheels.

Then I sold the SAAB, and put them on this car because they worked, they looked good, and are very functional for the purposes of my car.

Do you go into the 17x8 and 17x7 rpf1 threads pushing the 17x9 +35's on people, telling them they bought the wrong wheel in your opinion too? Perhaps you should take pride in the fact that you bought the *correct* wheel if you have the +35's and that everyone else is inferior, rather than down talk what some one else is doing to their car
All good bro, no need to take offence. Just pointed out some cold hard info.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #177
breckenedge
3 x lemons chump

Drives: 14 FR-S; 94 Sentra; 91 Miata
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What coilovers are folks running with these wheels?

I tried the wheels on last night and the clearances with the stock spring perch are too tight for me to feel comfortable. I'm lowered on the Eibach Pro-Kit (knew I'd be getting coilovers eventually). It's a few mm from rubbing against the perch. I'm looking for a track setup and to stay within SCCA STX rules, so probably going to get a set of KW Variant 3s unless there's another suggestion.
breckenedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #178
N_I_N

Drives: FR-S [Hot Lava]
Garage
It IS close. But it will not rub there. I've done 5+ track days with that setup and no rubbing except when turning a full lock to the right. The perch is not going to rub though.
N_I_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #179
kosoku

Drives: 2013 fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I'm on Eibach R2's...no rubbing
Old 09-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #180
Smoke Destructer

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Anybody figure out what the wheel is rubbing on at full lock yet? I'm wondering if that can be remedied with careful camber adjustment. Also to the people who are rubbing, are you running any spacers at all? I'm interested to know if something like a 3mm spacer up front fixes the problem.
Smoke Destructer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #181
Mad_Mike

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS firestorm
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Completely stock suspension. Tight fit for sure, only about the car key gap between tire and spring perch in the front.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:17 PM   #182
Vicsweet

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by loogs View Post
here they are

when the wheel is at full lock, the rim does hit the tie rod. just like a very intelligent member pointed out to me earlier. i decided to go with this and just live with it. one other member here has the exact same setup but hes on coil overs and i think he said he has no issues with the tie rod. that will be my next move.

BTW, im on eibach springs with a 1" drop

any idea if a +35 17x9 will hit the tie rod at full lock? I'm looking at getting those on my eibach pro springs. thanks
Vicsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vicsweet For This Useful Post:
s2d4 (09-30-2014)