follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2014, 03:38 AM   #1
Staf00

Drives: SWP DZE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need Serious Alignment Check, Suspension Damage?

Long story short, I accidentally hit a curb pretty hard the other night and am looking for a reputable shop, preferably with a specialty in suspension work to inspect and fix the damage. The point of impact was the front left of the vehicle. There's a small crack in the front left wheel and the alignment is way off. The car veers to the left quite a bit if i have the steering wheel centered (I have to turn to the right slightly to go straight). Also, there is a squeaky noise going at low speeds (0-40mph) and a repeating buzz at higher speeds. I would really like to know what parts are potentially damaged or if an alignment could remedy this (I hope). I live in the 626 area, if that helps narrow it down.

Edit: If there's serious work to be done to the front suspension, what would be worth upgrading instead of replacing w/ OEM parts? I have my eye on that new brace AVO came out with, as well as using this opportunity for new wheels/tires. Suggestions are welcome, thx.
Staf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:42 AM   #2
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You probably broke something. Bent control arm, damaged wheel bearing, bent wheel.. who knows.
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
Staf00

Drives: SWP DZE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliog View Post
You probably broke something. Bent control arm, damaged wheel bearing, bent wheel.. who knows.
Arrg, this is gonna cost a fortune to fix isn't it? If I took off the front left wheel and took some pics, would anyone be able to diagnose the issues?
Staf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Eurasianman
Chief

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Hard to say man. Better off just taking the car to the shop and have them inspected.

I hit a curb with my previous car around 40-45 MPH. Winded up bending a forged rim (OEM and $650 to replace from the manufacturer). Luckily for me, the rim took all the damage. However, it was not until later that I realized I had also damaged the rear hub as well (rear rim clipped the curb as well when I originally hit the curb ). And this was to a brand new car that I had for only 24 hours. Ended up costing me over $1000 to get everything fixed. Luckily, no suspension damage.

Eurasianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #5
Evasive Motorsports

Drives: 2012 FR-S and BR-Z
Thanked 1,892 Times in 638 Posts
Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Evasive Motorsports
A small curb can do a lot of damage you can't see. Only way we can check is with the alignment machine. Maybe a broken or bent arm. Also the ball joint. Give us a call if you want us to take a look at it.
Evasive Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:48 PM   #6
kkkirbyyy

Drives: 2015 STi and '93 Sentra Se-r
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
this happened to me months ago and took forever to figure out the smallest problem. anyways, I went to Mikeloffs Bros in Glendale, and Chris was able to spot the problem within 30 minutes of lifting the car up. I hit a curb the exact same way you did going about 25-30 mph. my problem was the Ball joint and lower control arm, and knuckle. I didn't necessarily broke or bent them since it aligned perfectly, but the holes were the bolts lined up were warped and broke that it wasn't holding them together tightly. so I replaced them all. anyways, hope this helps and pm if you need any more info
kkkirbyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:49 PM   #7
kkkirbyyy

Drives: 2015 STi and '93 Sentra Se-r
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
btw @evasivemotorsports should be able to help you too. they helped me a lot during this stretch of a problem. Look for Randy lol, he's gonna be familiar of the problem
kkkirbyyy is offline   Reply With Quote