follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #99
LavosTRD
Toyota Master Tech

Drives: Whiteout MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enouf View Post
]
As a Toyota Master Tech @LavosTRD, how important is it to have a correctly sized hose (esp fuel injection) with the proper EFI clamp when changing out to an aftermarket set up?
This important
LavosTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LavosTRD For This Useful Post:
enouf (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #100
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
now that you guys have drug this thread miles from the subject, for no reason whatsoever...thanks btw

I would like to know who was monkeying with the lines underhood and why?

The "mechanical pump" is electron beam welded EVERYWHERE, it does not and cannot leak externally except at the connections to the fuel lines...surely even JV could determine that.

I'm all for calling out tuners for bad practice/lack of knowledge/general inept-ness...
but I can't draw a line between a flex fuel kit and a car fire...unless some real serious stupid happened...

FF senders are usually installed in the return line of a fuel system so that you can be assured that what is in the fuel rail is the same as what you are measuring with as little data delay as possible, we have a "returnless" system meaning the Fuel Pressure Regulator is in the tank, therefor not a good place to represent the fuel rail's fuel load.

is JV relocating the Pressure regulator to the engine bay? that would seem to be a requirement for both proper functionality, and a great potential source of under hood fuel leak...if that conversion took place and was shaudy by design or installed by someone who lacked the basic knowledge to get the job done I could see it starting a fire...but I like to have a decent rock in my hand when I throw stones...pebbles just wont do....

any body got any input on this?
I know before Dezoris did his video on the DI seals I warned him of the dangers with anything post DI pump, he did a great job showing to replace every line/fitting required per the manual. Kids this ain't your daddy's fox mustang as the pressure of the fuel coming from the HPFP is an order of magnitude higher than EFI. It is easy to have a leak so small you can't see yet as volatile as the hindenburg. Be careful.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #101
Frs300

Drives: Pile of junk
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44316

this is what happened
Frs300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frs300 For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #102
brz_star21

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm surprised at the lack of DI failure conspiracy theorists in this thread.
brz_star21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #103
post_break
Professional Smartass

Drives: White Out FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enouf View Post
Now THIS is exactly what should be communicated from Visconti & Rich. But guess what? No instructions.

What's ironic is the car in this photo (either post_break or cobrabyte) didnt have (much) of a leak whereas even though I used a stanley blade to make small incisions before using a fish hook to tear the remaining rubber, I still ended up with a full on leak.

As a Toyota Master Tech @LavosTRD, how important is it to have a correctly sized hose (esp fuel injection) with the proper EFI clamp when changing out to an aftermarket set up?
This is @cobrabyte's car and has never had a leak. I think the photo, with sharpening applied, makes the scratch look insanely deep, when putting the new hose on I didn't see it at all.
post_break is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #104
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brz_star21 View Post
I'm surprised at the lack of DI failure conspiracy theorists in this thread.
The crickets caused it!!!
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
nelsmar (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #105
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by post_break View Post
This is @cobrabyte's car and has never had a leak. I think the photo, with sharpening applied, makes the scratch look insanely deep, when putting the new hose on I didn't see it at all.
@brzturbo is claiming that the car on fire was his.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #106
post_break
Professional Smartass

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_GT View Post
I'll bite, what don't you like about my DIY?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #107
post_break
Professional Smartass

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
@brzturbo is claiming that the car on fire was his.
My quote has nothing to do with the car that was on fire. I was talking about the photo of the fuel hard line.
The Following User Says Thank You to post_break For This Useful Post:
HunterGreene (08-15-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #108
Brzetto

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
The crickets caused it!!!

Brzetto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brzetto For This Useful Post:
thill (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #109
Brzetto

Drives: 4 wheels
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
He doesn't want the blame.
Brzetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #110
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frs300 View Post
That's gonna be one hell of a thread.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #111
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoss23 View Post
Err, let me give my 2 cents about insurance coverage with a short anecdote.

My close friend in college (about 4 years ago) got himself a Mustang V6 and started to modding it. Outside didn't look anything crazy, nice wheels, tires, lowered 1 inch, very basic look. Inside the works plus a supercharger with fuel delivery system. He started messing with e85 at this point.

Shy of his second year the same thing happened to him, his car caught fire while he was driving normally.

Needless to say he reported it to his insurance, the insurance told him it was a total loss (obviously) but asked him "did you modify this car, specifically the engine". At that point my friend knew they were up to something and he said "yeah, just wheels, bodykit and exhaust, nothing that will cause a fire". The adjuster said ok and that he was going to process his claim.

3 days later he calls because he hadn't heard anything, and they tell him that his claim was escalated for "possible fraud". Days go by and he gets a call telling him that the insurance wasn't going to cover his car because it was heavily modified and the "mechanical" parts of the vehicle directly involved in the fire were tampered, whatever that means.

They told him, a) that they could run a very expensive investigation of the cause of the fire that if proven right would be at his expense. b) He lied about not modifying the car. c) ultimately any modifications purposely done to the mechanical aspect of the car with non-authorized parts that could cause the total loss of the property are considered enough reason for denying cover.

So yeah, it doesn't work for everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoss23 View Post
Nice, I didn't know there was that option. I guess the main thing is being upfront with the insurance company to begin with, sure you will pay more, but it's better safe to be sorry.

I'll actually do that with mine when I get my BRZ. Probably not initially, but if I decide to jump into the FI part of thing then I'll definitely do it.

Anyways, yeah his problem was that, he didn't tell them. And then he lied to, thinking they would be to stupid to look into the burned car. I don't remember his insurance company, this happened 4 years ago, but it wasn't any of the major insurance companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
I bet you're among those who think that the manufacturer should fix the car if the engine blew due to mods significantly upping the power level.

It's a diligent company that does not pay for losses is does not have to (and thus has lower rates for everyone else), I'd want them be my insurance. All too often today insurance companies are keen on just splitting fault 50-50, paying and jacking rates, w/o bothering to investigate. This one seems different.

And good luck on the insurance missing a supercharger on a total loss due to fire on a sporty car. It happens, but it would take some dump luck and a clueless agent + some supervisor that doesn't care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
The guy lied to the insurance company - that's all that really matters here. Most of the insurance providers out there won't cover you if you say you have any type of engine mods. The agent's aren't mechanic, if they hear anything that sounds non standard unlike wheels or tint, they will deny you. Just gotta do your research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
Not sure what mustang line means, so I'll let it slide.
Insurance 'covering' aftermarket parts thing is about you getting reimbursed for the value of aftermarket rims/audio equipment/radars and whatever else you might have bolted on to a car, that didn't cause it to catch fire. It will not cover the damage to your car if it makes it go up in flames. Now, insurance companies will likely still cover you if you bag your car and then spin out going over a speedbump and hit an old lady, but if the car catches fire due to non-OEM fueling system the chances are that your insurance won't pay for your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
So gracious of you. Coverage of aftermarket parts depends on your plan and carrier. As I understand it, you would have to contact them and ask for coverage, which you would probably pay for through a rider. As for coverage of problems caused by aftermarket parts, I'm not so sure. It probably depends on state laws. If you install a FRAM oil filter and it catches on fire, I don't think there will be problems getting coverage. Unless the policies specifically state there's no coverage, there's no reason to think you'd be screwed.

To all of the above posts (and anyone reading this thread and wondering):

Insurance companies are not obligated to provide you coverage for aftermarket parts. Much like issues with the manufacturer on warranty, a lot of insurance providers are not mod-friendly due to excessive claims or fraudulent claims from insured.

In the case of AAA, when I set my insurance up I was told that if I had mods in the future (wheels, stereo, body kit, etc), if I want it covered under insurance I have to let them know and keep copy of valid receipt. My premiums may go up depending on the type of mod and risk, but in the end it's simple:

(Cost of replacement of car + cost of replacement of parts) x risk formula = your insurance premiums.

Assuming identical twins living in the same zip code driving the same car with same risk profile, insurance is based on the replacement value of the item(s) being insured. It's up to the company to see if they want to cover aftermarket mods or not, and this usually needs to be communicated beforehand or else it may not be covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuleas View Post
Since I can see that most of you are in the US, let me say this:

You can get practically anything insured here. It just depends on how much you're willing to pay for it. You have to make it worth their while!
Case in point: when MotoRex imported the Skyline GT-R, insurance companies insured the car as a "special edition 240SX" with estimated replacement value calculated as purchase price of the car. Anyone owning a properly imported R32 would have insurance to something of this effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Easy. Make sure your insurance covers mods. Before I did a track day in my old car, I called the insurance agent and specifically asked. He said it wasn't covered. Then I knew. I had the choice of buying track insurance or not.

If I do serious mods, I will talk to the broker. If I have to switch providers, I will. Sounds like his insurance company is pretty low on the customer service totem pole. Which company was it? I'd like to avoid them.
The person you're replying to, his friend's insurance company most likely would have covered the mods if it was properly communicated in the first place. Some mods don't raise your premium, some do. A fancy stereo will make your car more attractive to thieves, as will wheels or items you can steal easily.

Insurance companies have every right to deny insurance replacement on items that significantly alter the value or appearance of a vehicle.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
EAGLE5 (08-15-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #112
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by post_break View Post
I'll bite, what don't you like about my DIY?
not the DIY, but the post talking about the leakage...
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accelerated combustion, anotherthreadupinflames, bbqbrz, biscotti tuned, burn my ride(no pimp), calling jalopnik, corn roaster, ghostrider, hellfire, smells like popcorn, smoking hot, viscontifried, viscontinued, viscontuned, vtune kicked in, we don't need no water