follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #1
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta ST!

I don't know about everyone else but I've always had a soft spot in my heart for hatchbacks, and with the fiesta getting as much hype as it has for being a small lightweight economical hatch, it doesn't surprise me Ford decided to give the "go ahead" on the Fiesa ST. As it stands Ford already offers a kit to turn the current fiesta into an AWD turbo rally car.

Quote:
When we first saw the Ford Fiesta ST as a concept car at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show and later in five-door form at the L.A. show, it seemed like a no-brainer that the small, go-fast hatch would be built. Not surprisingly, Ford has made it official with the reveal of the production-spec version of the 2013 Ford Fiesta ST debuting at the 2012 Geneva Motor Show in advance of its in European showroom launch early next year.

As was the case in the Fiesta ST concept, the motivating force comes from an EcoBoost turbocharged 1.6-liter inline-four engine, with 178 hp and 177 lb-ft of torque directed to the front wheels by way of a six-speed manual transmission. Ford says the Fiesta ST will hit 62 mph in less than seven seconds, with a top speed north of 136 mph. To help keep up with the power increase, the Fiesta ST also scores unique suspension tuning that is 0.6-in. lower than a regular Fiesta, Torque Vectoring Control, and a three-mode stability control system.

The Fiesta ST's mechanical upgrades are matched by a new body kit with a trapezoidal mesh grille, roof spoiler, new side skirts, lower front and rear fasicas, and twin exhaust tips. Recaro seats with contrasting inserts that match the bodywork, metal sport pedals, and Sync voice recognition are all standard. The car looks like a scaled-down version of the Focus ST -- a move we're sure was deliberate.

Based on what Ford has told us so far, we have high hopes for the Fiesta ST's performance character. Ford director of Global Performance Vehicles Jost Capito claims drivers "will be blown away by the new Fiesta ST." An engineer with Ford's Special Vehicle Team previously told us that the new car is "designed to reward excellent drivers, and flatter novices." The car was tested and developed at the Nurburgring in Germany.

One big question remains: Will the Ford Fiesta ST be sold in the U.S.? The version shown here is a two-door model that likely won't arrive on our shores because the American market only gets four-door Fiestas at present. But Ford received strong response to the four-door Fiesta ST concept at the L.A. show last fall and "remains open to the idea" of selling the Fiesta ST in America. That sounds like tacit confirmation to us that the hot hatch is destined for American market in four-door form sometime after the two-door launches in Europe next year.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Seems like a good domestic-brand competitor to a MINI Cooper S, but...

Quote:
...remains open to the idea...
aka "we'll consider bringing the next gen here if you bitch and moan and kiss our feet enough". Another classic case of the USA getting The Shaft on interesting cars.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
yayforaddison

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was reading this article this morning actually. I love what they did to the Fiesta. I just don't understand how Ford, an American made car, doesn't have some of their models here in America... Debating on bringing this here to the states is depressing. I'm not really a Ford person honestly, but this and the new Focus are pulling me in
yayforaddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Seems like a good domestic-brand competitor to a MINI Cooper S, but...

aka "we'll consider bringing the next gen here if you bitch and moan and kiss our feet enough". Another classic case of the USA getting The Shaft on interesting cars.
Yeah that's always annoyed me; the JDM market typically gets exclusive JDM cars and Europe always gets nice things... I do hate the USDM =/. What's even more annoying is they said they'd consider bringing the 5 door variant over :[, I want the 3 door variant over here. If they did I'd def keep the FRS as a track car and grab this thing as my DD

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayforaddison View Post
I was reading this article this morning actually. I love what they did to the Fiesta. I just don't understand how Ford, an American made car, doesn't have some of their models here in America... Debating on bringing this here to the states is depressing. I'm not really a Ford person honestly, but this and the new Focus are pulling me in
There are significant differences between Ford here and Ford UK and Ford Germany. At least in the past they were basically independently operated but still the same company. This is why they always were way more successful than GM overseas.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That will be a cracking car. If it drives like the standard, but with a stronger engine and 'sportified' with the seats, suspension, etc... it would make for a great small hatch alternative to the... um, erm, well... forgot where I live now ;-)
Yes we get screwed in North America compared to all the warm/hot hatches available in Europe :-(
Capt Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
maxeveland

Drives: n/a
i actually like the exterior and interior of that car; sure do wish it came to the US
maxeveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
maxeveland

Drives: n/a
i dont know why ford wouldnt bring its awesome cars to its own country
maxeveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I'd love this car to come overseas. Something I can appreciate that most likely I wouldn't want to own myself.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I always see cars like this and think: "Cool! If only it weren't FWD."

But now there is the BRZ.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
I always see cars like this and think: "Cool! If only it weren't FWD."

But now there is the BRZ.
Ford's got enough torque vectoring systems in place to make the whole "It's FWD" thing not as big of an issue. Also it makes adding power a bit easier without living in fear of the torque steer monster... to a certain point :P

Old 03-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
DIG1992

Drives: 2002 Acura TL
To bad we don't get the three door ver it def looks smooth
DIG1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Wonder how this will compare to the Hyundai Veloster Trubo? I assume the Veloster is a bit larger?
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Every time I hear about this car, I think it comes with Maracas and coupons for Taco Bell inside a Mariachi hat
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote