follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Unichip vs ECUtek?

Not sure if this is an appropriate topic, dont want to start any flames, but I'm geniunely curious if anyone has tried both tuning solutions and can compare them objectively? In terms of engine optimization/performance is there any difference?

I know Unichip will obvioulsy have the advantage is price and flexibility (can be unplugged, can be resold, easy to remap) and ECUtek seems to have some features that Unichip does not offer (autoblip, flat foot shifting, etc) but in terms of dyno numbers and engine performance is there any difference?
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
Delacruzmd (03-03-2013), edward (03-01-2013), GOT FR-S (03-13-2013), greenguy101 (05-18-2013), Sonolin (03-02-2013), Spartan65 (03-02-2013), Tim_Asphalt_FRS (03-01-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
hobojoker

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If someone has done this, I'd be very interested to hear as well.
hobojoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Hix

Drives: 2017 WRB PP
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I would highly doubt that Unichip could do near the performance of the ECUtek tune just because of the things that ECUtek can change. Plus ECUtek has E85 tunes and a soon to be released FlexFuel tune. Totally different animal, as evident by the price of each. I would seriously be impressed if the Unichip could even get close to the ECUtek stuff.

That being said Unichip has free tunes and can be easily removed. One of the free tunes coming out will have E85 support and some of the aspects of ECUtek like launch control.
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
hobojoker

Drives: SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To do a proper comparison, it'd be comparable tunes. 91 or 93, not e85
hobojoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,136 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Most of the Unichip reviews I've read so far don't have the users raving specifically about power increases. They say that throttle response is significantly improved and the car feels smoother. Maybe some Unichip users haven't tried out the fuel- timing+ maps yet with 93, I dunno. I haven't heard anyone say their car feels significantly more powerful with a Unichip where as there are lots of posts from FA20Club Stage 2 Ecutek tune users that are really impressed by what they claim to be significant (20whp) power increases.

I get the impression that Unichip maps that come preloaded are much more mild and reserved compared to Ecutek maps that include increased redline and more agressive adjustments. I'll be really interested to see how the Unichip E85 maps stack up against Ecutek E85 tunes.

Last edited by ATL BRZ; 03-06-2013 at 05:31 PM.
ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix View Post
I would highly doubt that Unichip could do near the performance of the ECUtek tune just because of the things that ECUtek can change. Plus ECUtek has E85 tunes and a soon to be released FlexFuel tune. Totally different animal, as evident by the price of each. I would seriously be impressed if the Unichip could even get close to the ECUtek stuff.

That being said Unichip has free tunes and can be easily removed. One of the free tunes coming out will have E85 support and some of the aspects of ECUtek like launch control.
As for things that ECUtek can change that gives it raw performance advantage do you know what it does over Unichip? AFAIK Unichip superceeds the various sensors and inputs its own values to manipulate the sensors required to do the same thing ECUtek does with direct reprogramming so in tuning terms doesn't that mean it does the same thing using a different method?
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
Old 03-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #7
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
Most of the Unichip reviews I've read so far don't have the users raving specifically about power increases. They say that throttle response is significantly improved and the car feels smoother. Maybe some Unichip users haven't tried out the fuel in + timing in maps yet with 93, I dunno. I haven't seen anyone say their car feels significantly more powerful with a Unichip where as there are lots of posts from FA20Club Stage 2 Ecutek tune users that are really impressed by what they claim to be significant (20whp) power increases.
This is why I am asking if people have tried both Unichip and ECUtek on their cars. I'm not doubting the potential of either system but I feel like there is always an unavoidable ownership bias with any mods so the more you pay the more you will likely rave about the product.

On that note I've only seen one Unichip car dynoed (on their website taken from someone on forums I believe) so its not much to go off of =/
Old 03-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Unless I'm understanding it incorrectly, I will be getting the unichip because it does not remap the ECU. It's just a piggyback so it is virtually untraceable.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
Unless I'm understanding it incorrectly, I will be getting the unichip because it does not remap the ECU. It's just a piggyback so it is virtually untraceable.
Both solutions are virtually untraceable from what I understand. It may be easier to take off the Unichip when going to the dealer but for ECUtek you can reflash back to stock and the dealer will never know unless they look pretty deep which is unlikely (i remember reading something about a flash counter that they can see).
Old 03-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
Both methods can not be detected by dealers

Don't have any exp with unichip just ecutek but from what I can see it depends on how hardcore you want your car to be. I haven't seen over heard of unichip being able to riase redline or anything like that
Old 03-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
Both methods can not be detected by dealers

Don't have any exp with unichip just ecutek but from what I can see it depends on how hardcore you want your car to be. I haven't seen over heard of unichip being able to riase redline or anything like that
ECUtek can be detected, though its very hard and out of the way method so dealers dont do it. Also @Hix they are working on flexfuel for unichip and im sure flat foot shifting can be supported by unichip.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
leon78

Drives: 13 Whiteout
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Neither offers a free/cheap user end tuning capabilities....as with the Cobb AcessPort Race software....I’m waiting till something of that sort comes out....hopefully.
GunMetal 16x8+25 Enkei CompE_Cusco OCC_ Kartboy Crank Pulley_Kartboy TMM insert_Koni Yellows_RCE Springs_K&N Drop-In_Eibach FSB_J2 Catless FP_WhiteLine Camber Bolts_NameLess Track Pipe_RBF600_Ferodo DS2500_PTUNING Tuned.
Less parking more racing
leon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon78 View Post
Neither offers a free/cheap user end tuning capabilities....as with the Cobb AcessPort Race software....I’m waiting till something of that sort comes out....hopefully.
It is out already.. BRZedit.

to the OP...

Ecutek (and BRZedit) has the ability to adjust the majority of the maps that control the engine. Unichip can only alter the signals received by and sent from the ecu, it does not directly alter the maps. Based on the Website, it intercepts crank sensor (so it can alter ignition timing), Maf sensor (so it can alter engine load / fueling), and the Throttle motor so it can alter the dbw output.

Take cam timing for example, you can completely remap the cam timing maps with ecutek. With unichip the only changes you can make to cam timing are indirect changes via maf signal (engine load) manipulation, which is not sufficient to actually change the cam timing at WOT by any significant margin.

Last edited by mad_sb; 03-01-2013 at 08:31 PM.
mad_sb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mad_sb For This Useful Post:
microbionic (03-01-2013)
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
So I was thinking about doing the unichip. But to you guys is it worth it? I'll have a drop in filter, catback, over pipe and front pipe. Will the unichip actually alter it much or no? I don't want any chance if voiding warranty, so I wouldn't do any tuning. But if it makes a significant difference I will pay for the unichip.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote