follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
Hix

Drives: 2017 WRB PP
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Terrible shifting

So I am going through posts and searching online for a good solution to the flaccid floppy pathetic shifter in the BRZ. Seriously, it is the worst I have ever used and makes me not enjoy driving it sometimes. I was looking at the Perrin transmission support mount, the Whiteline transmission mount bushing insert, the cusco shift level retainer bushings, MTEC spring, Kartboy shifter, and the STI transmission mount. Obviously these will not all work together, but these are the items I was interested in pursuing.

I was wondering what combos people have used in the past and if there are any people who have personal recommendations of combos of these items to remedy how poorly the shifter was implemented.

EDIT: To address all the questions I am coming from a bevvy of manual cars but my last manual was a WRX. The majority of the manuals I have driven have been farm trucks and tractors. I just don't feel confident the car is in or out of gear; there really is no feedback other than the huge sweep to another gear. My 95 GMC pickup has a shorter exchange than this car.

The car has under 500 miles on it still. I guess I will just take it in and see what they say.

Last edited by Hix; 05-24-2017 at 02:19 PM. Reason: posted later in the thread
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix View Post
So I am going through posts and searching online for a good solution to the flaccid floppy pathetic shifter in the BRZ. Seriously, it is the worst I have ever used and makes me not enjoy driving it sometimes. I was looking at the Perrin transmission support mount, the Whiteline transmission mount bushing insert, the cusco shift level retainer bushings, MTEC spring, Kartboy shifter, and the STI transmission mount. Obviously these will not all work together, but these are the items I was interested in pursuing.

I was wondering what combos people have used in the past and if there are any people who have personal recommendations of combos of these items to remedy how poorly the shifter was implemented.
Funny because most of the people complain about how stiff and notchy it is. Mine is far from floppy and just about the perfect throws. sure you don't have an issue someplace?
humfrz (05-24-2017), lantsalot (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #3
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
no complaints with mine, but i giggle at the shit stain that thing left
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bababooey For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
Detroiter

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I suspect that there is something mechanically wrong with your shifter assembly as I have never heard someone describe our shifters as anything other than notchy, tight, percise, and awesome. I've heard plenty of people say it is their favorite shifter they've ever used and I have to agree with them. My previous cars were so much floppier and pathetic than my FRS.

I'd check things like the shifter bushings for wear before going too far with mods. Or maybe find someone local willing to let you mess with their shifter to see if it feels the same as your BRZ.
Detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Detroiter For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (05-25-2017), Tcoat (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I went from stock to kb bushings shifter and mtek springs. Stock in my case wasn't floppy really but with the mods it most definitely is alot stiffer in terms of side to side motion and you can feel the notchyness alot more with the short shifter.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:06 AM   #6
ASHRAF

Drives: |2013 GT86|2013 GT-R|2014 Audi A6|
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The only issue I have is that sometimes, when I'm taking a sweeper, it is hard to down shift to 4th, 5th to 4th downshift feels a bit "lost", if you know what I mean

I am sure people made this better by replacing some bushings or inserts, but I can't seem to find the info now that I need it

Other than that "issue", I feel that it's a pretty good transmission/shifter

It's all relative, what are you comparing it to if I may ask?
Because it'll never be as good as a gated exotic shifter

-AJ
ASHRAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,776 Times in 16,409 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
So I am going through posts and searching online for a good solution to the flaccid floppy pathetic shifter in the BRZ. Seriously, it is the worst I have ever used and makes me not enjoy driving it sometimes........
So, Hix, unless you're coming from a S2000 or a 5 speed Miata, I figure that there is something wrong with your car's shifting mechanism.

I suggest you check (or have checked) the shifter linkage and related parts ..... something is wrong ......

No sense in throwing mods at it ...... it's broken/out of adjustment.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Detroiter (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #8
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,459 Times in 18,887 Posts
Mentioned: 1105 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
It's brand new. Something's wrong. Straight to dealer.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:12 PM   #9
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It's brand new. Something's wrong. Straight to dealer.
Not straight to keyboard? Surely not.

Where is the mileage in that?
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scrappydoo For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (05-25-2017), MuseChaser (05-24-2017), Ultramaroon (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #10
Hix

Drives: 2017 WRB PP
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
To address all the questions I am coming from a bevvy of manual cars but my last manual was a WRX. The majority of the manuals I have driven have been farm trucks and tractors. I just don't feel confident the car is in or out of gear; there really is no feedback other than the huge sweep to another gear. My 95 GMC pickup has a shorter exchange than this car.

The car has under 500 miles on it still. I guess I will just take it in and see what they say.
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hix For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
Scrappydoo

Quote:
To address all the questions I am coming from a bevvy of manual cars but my last manual was a WRX. The majority of the manuals I have driven have been farm trucks and tractors. I just don't feel confident the car is in or out of gear; there really is no feedback other than the huge sweep to another gear. My 95 GMC pickup has a shorter exchange than this car.

Really, that sounds the way to go. Let us know how it goes.

Mention your manual driving experience on tractors and farm trucks. That's important.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scrappydoo For This Useful Post:
bababooey (05-24-2017), Captain Snooze (05-25-2017), Ultramaroon (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #12
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,776 Times in 16,409 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
The car has under 500 miles on it still. I guess I will just take it in and see what they say...............
Good plan!

Yep, sounds like it's coming unglued ...... or was never glued proper to start with.

Keep us posted.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #13
Scrappydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Good plan!

Yep, sounds like it's coming unglued ...... or was never glued proper to start with.

Keep us posted.

humfrz
I stapled mine just to be sure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scrappydoo For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-24-2017), sato (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 05:12 PM   #14
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

EDIT: To address all the questions I am coming from a bevvy of manual cars but my last manual was a WRX. The majority of the manuals I have driven have been farm trucks and tractors. I just don't feel confident the car is in or out of gear; there really is no feedback other than the huge sweep to another gear. My 95 GMC pickup has a shorter exchange than this car.

If for whatever reason everything checks out. I highly recommend Mtec Shifter springs with a whiteline bushing insert. They made the shifting even more clicky and accurate.

But i have to agree with everyone here. The only other car i have ever driven that has a better shifting feel than my BRZ is my S2000. My girlfriends 2017 MX-5 Miata is a very close second. I actually found the WRX shifting to be not as precise. And i'm comparing my friends 2006 and my other friends 2017 WRX's.

But if you want sloppy and unsure. Try driving a Ford Fiesta. It literally just feels like they dropped a stick in a bucket and said "there are 6 gears in there somewhere". Zero feedback on the shifter.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-24-2017)