follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

View Poll Results: What should I get
2017 Red PP Manual 21 32.31%
2017 WRB Auto 5 7.69%
2016 WRB Auto 2 3.08%
2017 Manual Premium (save that money!) 5 7.69%
You're have two houses and 150k in student loans. Keep your shitty beater Jetta! 35 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #15
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Continue driving what you're currently driving whilst paying down those loans.

As soon as he's tall enough, teach your son to drive a stick shift.

I was driving a stick at age 9, using a booster cushion under my butt. Had my father insisted, I'd have surely been driving at age 7.

Enjoy your family.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:18 PM   #16
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix View Post
I don't drink but if something happens like I get injured or whatever I couldn't get her to move the car. It came up a few times when I had my WRX. My wife has the family car that we use for everything so I just have a crappy beater to go back and forth between Houston and San Antonio.
Exact same issue I have with my SO. She gets it, but she hasn't learned yet. Honestly I could probably talk her through it in about 2 minutes but she's scared of messing up my car...

Also, will you keep the car stock? The PP is an absolute steal for the price they want, but if you're just going to rip that stuff off to lower the car, it might be a waste (though the brakes alone are $$). If you plan to add a supercharger or turbo, it's a bit odd that the autos seems to hold more power...

Still your choice, but remember that you can always just find another one in the color you want and the trim you want instead. I was set on WRB, period. If I'm spending that much money, I'm damn well getting the color I want. So decide that and then decide the rest. Don't get stuck on only what they have on the lot, as there's other dealers around and they're still making them new...
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #17
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
From a guy that has been married for 36 years go with the one she likes as well. These pimply faced teenagers saying "do what you want and never mind the wife" obviously don't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to relationships!

And come on, you practically said outright that was the one you like the most anyway so the "MT is life YO" crowd can eat it.
I didnt know Tcoat was married already!

I have no use for this forum now. Damn.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:58 PM   #18
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If you have 150k in student loans, that is a serious liability. I have 140k and it makes me sweat. WHy? because I found out that it compounds DAILY.

Like straight from satan's nutsack is a student loan after 1993.

The jetta is normally a very safe car to crash in. If you got a good year, it is not that expensive to repair. If you got a NORMAL year, that thing needs to be driven to the edge of your property and shot between the headlamps.

that being said, the premium 2017 brand new will, according to the best minds on this forum, be a very reliable car affording a person years of 0 repairs.

For me it is: crash worthiness, then handling/avoidance ability of car, then reliability, then the rest of reasons one likes a car.

Opinion then: keep jetta if you are not dumping $3k a year in it for replacing parts and upkeep. Sell jetta if you are and you can get at least $2000 for it and get a premium. In your area of the country, a flat regular premium manual should be had for a very low price.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #19
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ View Post
I didnt know Tcoat was married already!

I have no use for this forum now. Damn.
Ummmmmm....

JazzleSAURUS (04-13-2017), ~el~jefe~ (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #20
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
From a guy that has been married for 36 years go with the one she likes as well. These pimply faced teenagers saying "do what you want and never mind the wife" obviously don't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to relationships!

And come on, you practically said outright that was the one you like the most anyway so the "MT is life YO" crowd can eat it.
T and I don't always see eye-to-eye, and we're of the same vintage, and also of the same marital longevity and persuasion (my wife and I'll hit 35 years in June), but I've gotta say that he has MORE than nailed it on this one. Putting a car choice ahead of your family is just.. well... never mind.. you ALREADY know...

I'd drive a Prius for the rest of my life if it meant my loved ones would be happy. Fortunately, my loved ones love sports cars, too...
Old 04-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #21
Hix

Drives: 2017 WRB PP
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Ya know, if they offered the Sachs dampers on the auto I would have already gotten that car right then and there. Driving them back to back it really did feel better; better to the point where I don't think I would buy coilovers for the car.

A little background and context.. The Jetta is a 2005.5 with a bad battery, broken driver door, dying transmission (no reverse right now, hard shifts to second), bent rim (slow leak forever), two bald tires, airbag light is forever on, the back brake calipers are bad (one stuck all the way in the other all the way out), broken super squeeky and rattly front strut, and it was used as a dog transport for it's entire life. It was my wife's car and I don't think the oil was ever changed until we first met. She is not a person who is big on cleaning so even though I spent an entire day scraping old food and dog stuff out of the car it still smells. I recently sold my car and got my wife a 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 since she was living in Houston and I was living in San Antonio. We are in the process of moving to SA and selling our house in Houston. This was not the plan; the plan was for me to commute every weekend. Our money leftover after paying bills is 2800 every month, but we would like to start paying another 1000 or so on my wife's school loans.

Thanks for the replies everyone. There are quite a few opinions on here and there is a pretty hard split between the older married men and the younger single or freshly married men.
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #22
Esseff

Drives: 2017 BRZ Ltd White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I'd drive a Prius for the rest of my life if it meant my loved ones would be happy. Fortunately, my loved ones love sports cars, too...
A life lived keeping OTHER ppl happy is a life not worth living.
Esseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #23
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esseff View Post
The trick is to make everybody close to you happy including yourself.
A life of just making just yourself happy is pure douche!
daiheadjai (04-13-2017), MuseChaser (04-13-2017), spike021 (04-13-2017), vintagemxer (04-17-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #24
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esseff View Post
Haha getting OT now, but if you marry the right person she'll try to keep you happy, you'll try to keep her happy and you both end up happier than you would have been single. One of life's mysteries but it all works out in the end.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (04-13-2017), Tcoat (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #25
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Married for 4 years now. My wife has humoured me a few times and tried to learn manual. She could definitely do it, but doesn't see the point. That being said, she loved BRZ we had for the first few years of married life, and reminds me from time to time that she'd be onboard if I get another one. Maybe your wife isn't as against manual cars as we assume?

But if she's deadset against it, then I don't think it's worth the marital strife.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #26
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
T and I don't always see eye-to-eye, and we're of the same vintage, and also of the same marital longevity and persuasion (my wife and I'll hit 35 years in June), but I've gotta say that he has MORE than nailed it on this one. Putting a car choice ahead of your family is just.. well... never mind.. you ALREADY know...

My wife drove MT for years but is physically unable too now due to a serious knee injury 20 years ago.
She refuses to even ride in my car! It is too low, loud and bumpy and she is afraid it will get run over by a truck. But she had zero objection when I bought it since there is never any need for her to drive it.
In fact we did a much greater compromise when she just got her new car. Since I drive whenever we are going someplace I wanted certain things that she would never want or use. She wanted another SUV and I wanted something that didn't handle like a bloody tank so we shopped around managed to find something we both enjoy driving. Was a win for everybody.
daiheadjai (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #27
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,897 Times in 11,357 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Married for 4 years now. My wife has humoured me a few times and tried to learn manual.
When my wife (of 30 years) met, I had a MK1 MR-2. She did not drive a stick at the time, but asked me to teach her to drive my car. It took us 20 minutes in a parking lot and she was driving like Richard Petty running 'shine.

I asked her to marry me a week later....

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (04-13-2017), Hix (04-13-2017), MuseChaser (04-13-2017), Tcoat (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #28
The Headhunter

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited - WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My wife has never driven stick and has already stated she will never learn. She says she has enough to worry about driving an auto. I drove a MT to spell the driver on a long road trip a couple of times about 28 years ago! While I might have been willing to learn, there was no chance of me getting it. In case my wife needs to drive it to work or, God forbid, in an emergency that would be a bad idea.

So it's an AT for me and I am perfectly fine with it.
The Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Headhunter For This Useful Post:
bcj (04-13-2017), Tcoat (04-13-2017)