follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

View Poll Results: What should I get
2017 Red PP Manual 21 32.31%
2017 WRB Auto 5 7.69%
2016 WRB Auto 2 3.08%
2017 Manual Premium (save that money!) 5 7.69%
You're have two houses and 150k in student loans. Keep your shitty beater Jetta! 35 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Hix

Drives: 2017 WRB PP
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Another stupid "should I buy" thread! YAY!

Alrighty fellas.. I used to have a BRZ in the before time, in the long long ago. I loved the car and I have always regretted selling. Well, now my wife is allowing me to buy another one, BUT I have a few questions and concerns and wanted to see if you guys could talk me out of or in to getting the car.

My options are an arrest me red performance package, a WRB auto, and a used 2016 WRB auto with 9k miles. Please don't judge me on the autos the issue is that my wife cannot drive a manual and has no interest in even attempting to learn; so if I did get the red PP I would never be able to get her to even as much as move the car if I needed her to.

2017 Red PP 54 miles, 28500. I personally have driven manuals most of my life before meeting a girl and changing that. With the exception of my BMW, my mazda 3, and my WRX every car I have owned was obnoxious red. The suspension really seems nicer than even the other 17s.

2017 WRB auto 70 miles, 28500. This color is great and the car seems super nice. The PP suspension seems like a damn cloud gently blowing sweet kisses up my poopchute though. This is the car that my wife would be willing to drive if she needed to do so. The biggest bonus though is the gas mileage over the manual, and as I drive from San Antonio to Houston on regular occasion this could be a decider for me.

2016 WRB auto 8900 miles, 25000. This is the compromise vehicle with a lower payment. I hate that it drops the backup camera and all the little bonus things in the cabin that are value additions imo. The new lights and front bumper are pretty too. It is still a BRZ and has all the BRZ stuff to do BRZ things with it's BRZ friends.

EDIT: I KNOW I SCREWED UP ON THE POLL!! I had a longer sentence but it was limited to 100 characters so I edited it and didn't proofread. I have no clue how to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix View Post
Alrighty fellas, I ended up getting a car. I got a WRB PP. They made me a deal that turned it for me. I drove out for $26,681 +ttl and they threw in ceramic tint. Hopefully I don't run in to a situation that calls for my wife to drive my car. She was 100% on board with the deal and said she would try to learn stick but gave no promises.

Last edited by Hix; 04-17-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #2
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I would say go with what you want and forget your wife. then again, that is probably the reason why I'm not married so don't listen to me
Old 04-12-2017, 02:08 PM   #3
JonRZ

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ w/ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
"I wish I didn't spend the extra for the performance package." Said no PP owner ever.

Does the gas mileage really make a big enough difference?

Sounds like to me this is an internal battle of what you really want and what your wife wants/would prefer. I'm not married (yet) and some would say absolutely go the route that makes your wife happier. I mean, she 'allowed' you to buy one in the first place right? Only you know if buying the red with PP and manual will be a sore item between you two in the future ...
JonRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
goldenfri

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to goldenfri
I say get the 2017 PP but why not buy one without any miles on it?
goldenfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
Yanbags

Drives: '17 Camaro SS 1LE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My vote is for the Red PP. MSRP for a PP car is 29660. Definitely do not settle for 28500 though, you should have more negotiation room, especially considering the car is at 54 miles.

Last edited by Yanbags; 04-12-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Yanbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
Hix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I would say go with what you want and forget your wife. then again, that is probably the reason why I'm not married so don't listen to me
I am not done fuckin' yet. Once I am maybe I will ignore her, but until then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRZ View Post
"I wish I didn't spend the extra for the performance package." Said no PP owner ever.

Does the gas mileage really make a big enough difference?

Sounds like to me this is an internal battle of what you really want and what your wife wants/would prefer. I'm not married (yet) and some would say absolutely go the route that makes your wife happier. I mean, she 'allowed' you to buy one in the first place right? Only you know if buying the red with PP and manual will be a sore item between you two in the future ...
It will not cause any issues between us at all. We just need to make sure we are good budget-wise and that my son's car seat will fit in the back since I take him to school in the morning. There is for sure an internal issue between the gas mileage and the comfort of an auto versus the feel of the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenfri View Post
I say get the 2017 PP but why not buy one without any miles on it?
I think the dealership people took them for a spin a few times.. They didn't have any with no miles. He actually gave me some BS about them having those miles from the factory and what not, but once I asked to see how many miles are on the imprezas he changed the subject. I could search for one in Houston but I would probably still have the same search specifications.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
Kutanks

Drives: 2013 Firestorm 6MT,2005 Saabaru 5MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What do you do and how old are you? I have zero student loans and I bought a used 2013...second cart though not completely committed to dallying mine
Kutanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #8
VTEC

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix View Post
Please don't judge me on the autos the issue is that my wife cannot drive a manual and has no interest in even attempting to learn; so if I did get the red PP I would never be able to get her to even as much as move the car if I needed her to.
IMO, if your wife is ok with you spending $30k on an impractical 2 door manual car that she has no idea how to drive, asking her to move it for you should not really be a concern.

Not saying the auto sucks or anything, I know the paddle shifters are very fast. But if you love MT cars like I do (and you sound like you do), just take responsibility for moving the car. I don't care if its snowing outside and freezing. I will move both cars. I will never get drunk and ask my girl to DD for me. That's just the price you pay for driving a MT car. It's no big deal to me.

There are many other poor souls that don't even get the choice you have. They are condemned to driving automatic minivans and SUVs for like 20-30 years or until whenever their kids move out. If you have the freedom, I say go and get the car that you truly want.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #9
Hix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutanks View Post
What do you do and how old are you? I have zero student loans and I bought a used 2013...second cart though not completely committed to dallying mine
I am a 31 year old Linux admin. I have zero student loans.. My wife however has a dual masters and crazy high loans. This will be my second car, my wife has a new car that we use as our family car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC View Post
IMO, if your wife is ok with you spending $30k on an impractical 2 door manual car that she has no idea how to drive, asking her to move it for you should not really be a concern.

Not saying the auto sucks or anything, I know the paddle shifters are very fast. But if you love MT cars like I do (and you sound like you do), just take responsibility for moving the car. I don't care if its snowing outside and freezing. I will move both cars. I will never get drunk and ask my girl to DD for me. That's just the price you pay for driving a MT car. It's no big deal to me.

There are many other poor souls that don't even get the choice you have. They are condemned to driving automatic minivans and SUVs for like 20-30 years or until whenever their kids move out. If you have the freedom, I say go and get the car that you truly want.
I don't drink but if something happens like I get injured or whatever I couldn't get her to move the car. It came up a few times when I had my WRX. My wife has the family car that we use for everything so I just have a crappy beater to go back and forth between Houston and San Antonio.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #10
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
From a guy that has been married for 36 years go with the one she likes as well. These pimply faced teenagers saying "do what you want and never mind the wife" obviously don't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to relationships!

And come on, you practically said outright that was the one you like the most anyway so the "MT is life YO" crowd can eat it.
DarkSunrise (04-13-2017), Hix (04-12-2017), ktulu7 (04-13-2017), Leonardo (04-12-2017), MuseChaser (04-12-2017), spike021 (04-12-2017), vintagemxer (04-17-2017), ~el~jefe~ (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #11
goldenfri

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to goldenfri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanbags View Post
My vote is for the Red PP. MSRP for a PP car is 29660. Definitely do not settle for 28500 though, you should have more negotiation room, especially considering the car is at 54 miles.
I agree, lots of room for negotiation on these cars, also teach your wife to drive manual. I finally got mine to learn and now she says she never wants to go back to auto.
goldenfri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #12
JeremyR

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
If she has her own car, then the stick shift shouldn't be a deal breaker.. I have a manual brz, and an automatic truck. My SO has no desire to learn stick, but she can drive my truck just fine..
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Married 24 years (this time) and she knew I was gonna get a stick after driving her hand-me-down automatic Accord for years so she could get a new Odyssey. I wanted a manual again and would have regretted buying this car with an auto EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

So she gave me no guff, even though she has never driven it. And she can drive a stick.

That said, have you seen this one: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116517

That's a great price for what appears to be a well cared for car, and it's close to you in Austin.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:34 PM   #14
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Don't the 2016s have a backup camera?

If it was me, I would buy the red PP.

For your commute and wife's ability to drive it, sounds like the 2017 auto would be a good choice.

Only you know your budget well enough. If you can afford it and you really want to get a new car, then go for it.
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote