follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #43
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The best header to correct the torque dip IMO is the stock one + E85
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:32 PM   #44
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
The torque dip never bothered me stock or modified.

I'm more interested in performance from around 4.5k rpm up.

As for the oem header, my 17 flattened and lifted it nicely after a hammer and screwdriver was taken to all the "restrictions".

People focus way to much on "race car mods" for daily driven street cars.

Is it becausenamebrand?

My mate swapped out his 2015 headers with a punched out cat for brand name, he spent $1500ish on the headers, he only made minimal gains in mid and top end after being tuned.

If you are supercharged and pushing 300hp you may see some gains, but from my experience and research, if you are staying NA, a 17+ OEM header sans cat will be suffice.

Disclaimer: I don't race for sheep stations on the street or track.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:53 AM   #45
Wil

Drives: Drives like a crab.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi, thanks for the inputs.
I tried the stock header with the cat removed (at least the wall inside the cat) and all shielding removed. The noise was ricey as hell and the smell terrible.
The car though, was more responsive and more willing to go which was a big plus but it didn't correct the dip entirely.
I don't have access to E85 here in Belgium unfortunately.

I do believe exhaust scavenging and piping design has a big effect on the torque curve and think cats only affect higher rpm (5k+). Logically, the higher RPM, the more restriction you'll feel.

Can the JDL EL catted header (long tube design) correct the dip? Any independant dyno with this header?
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:12 AM   #46
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
P&L, I think theres a used one with cat and ceramic coating in the classifieds here. Various posts showing dyno charts for it here, but my unscientific un-dynoed opinion, I love them. Has a torque hump where the dip used to be, then flat to about 6500 where it picks up again for the last 1000 rpm. Feels great, and sound really nice, big difference.

Me revving, might try to get some road clips at some point.

Not too sure that guy would ship to Belgium though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 10:52 AM   #47
Wil

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
P&L, I think theres a used one with cat and ceramic coating in the classifieds here. Various posts showing dyno charts for it here, but my unscientific un-dynoed opinion, I love them. Has a torque hump where the dip used to be, then flat to about 6500 where it picks up again for the last 1000 rpm. Feels great, and sound really nice, big difference.

Me revving, might try to get some road clips at some point.

Not too sure that guy would ship to Belgium though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Hi, that sounds nice indeed! What's the complete exhaust setup?
Mine will be stock headerback but with a custom stock axle back with an vacuum actuated exhaust valve.

Do you have any link to the classified you mentioned? Could not find it with the search tool...
Old 02-18-2019, 11:07 AM   #48
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Kind of necroing this but, I am still looking for a catted EL header that really does correct the torque dip. Budget is 1k$.
I was looking at the FT86 Speed Factory which appears to be barely UEL and sounds kind of EL on top. JDL and P&L as well but could not find some relevant and independant testing. It will be tuned with OFT.
I'm using the car as a daily driver and will track it from time to time on tracks with long phase of acceleration (Spa to be precise)
I had the FT86SF catted header + OFT and liked it quite a bit. The torque dip was gone with that combo. Previous to that, I had a JDL catless header and the torque dip was still slightly noticeable. Top-end is a different story though.

OFT has a tune specific for the FT86SF catted header, so make sure to use that if you go this route.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #49
the new guy

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S/2018 Thunder GT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Custom Ecutek tune + Header if you really want the torque dip gone. My car pulls hard to redline with the JDL EL header and HRI Ecutek tune. He does remote tuning so it's an option for you. Delicious Tuning is another.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #50
Dr. BRZ

Drives: 2013 WR Blue Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
If youre going to street race and etc get EL. If you just want sound get uel.
Dr. BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:58 PM   #51
bfrank1972

Quote:
Hi, that sounds nice indeed! What's the complete exhaust setup?
Mine will be stock headerback but with a custom stock axle back with an vacuum actuated exhaust valve.

Do you have any link to the classified you mentioned? Could not find it with the search tool...
Hey sure:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133018

My setup is just the catted P&L header and a Greddy SP Elite exhaust. I'm really happy with it. Tone is great from the Greddy stuff too - I think someone on the forum has a Greddy setup as well - I think that's the full setup with front/midpipe whereas my front/mid/overpipes are still stock (just muffler).

I've been meaning to do some vids of it going down the road so maybe I'll put one together soon. To me this is one of the biggest things with this car - it will never be really fast unless you dump a bunch of $$$ into a big FI setup. What I wanted is some mods that liven up the car, make it feel a bit more racy and sound much better.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #52
adalah

Drives: m5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Following!this seems like a very interesting thread
adalah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:03 PM   #53
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Lol
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:24 AM   #54
Wil

Quote:
Hey sure:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133018

My setup is just the catted P&L header and a Greddy SP Elite exhaust. I'm really happy with it. Tone is great from the Greddy stuff too - I think someone on the forum has a Greddy setup as well - I think that's the full setup with front/midpipe whereas my front/mid/overpipes are still stock (just muffler).

I've been meaning to do some vids of it going down the road so maybe I'll put one together soon. To me this is one of the biggest things with this car - it will never be really fast unless you dump a bunch of $$$ into a big FI setup. What I wanted is some mods that liven up the car, make it feel a bit more racy and sound much better.
If you tell me the torque dip is gone with this header, this is what I'll be getting along with a custom tune from Shiv.
But a long tube as well as equal length header doesn't sound like it, haha!

Last edited by Wil; 02-19-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #55
bfrank1972

Quote:
If you tell me the torque dip is gone with this header, this is what I'll be getting along with a custom tune from Shiv.
But a long tube as well as equal length header doesn't sound like it, haha!
Hey I respect a healthy degree of skepticism

Full transparency, after I installed the headers I may have noticed a very slight reduction in throttle response below 2k, but not sure if that's related to the header itself or the OFT off the shelf tune I'm running.

Either way, 3-4.5k used to be my least favorite part of the power band, now it's my most favorite. Goes to show you can just lump a header into 'good' or 'bad' because it's UEL, EL, 4-2-1, 4-1, long tube, short tube, etc. A lot more design considerations go into it, runner lengths, diameter, collector design, etc.

BTW here's a video clip I did from today's morning commute. Pretty damned boring, but gives you an idea of interior sound levels with this catted header + Greddy muffler. It's quiet, but decent sound when you get on it - I'll try to get outside clips at some point, that's where it sounds really nice. Also may try to log and get some virtual dyno plots to show the shape of the torque curve now.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:19 AM   #56
Wil

Quote:
Hey I respect a healthy degree of skepticism

Full transparency, after I installed the headers I may have noticed a very slight reduction in throttle response below 2k, but not sure if that's related to the header itself or the OFT off the shelf tune I'm running.

Either way, 3-4.5k used to be my least favorite part of the power band, now it's my most favorite. Goes to show you can just lump a header into 'good' or 'bad' because it's UEL, EL, 4-2-1, 4-1, long tube, short tube, etc. A lot more design considerations go into it, runner lengths, diameter, collector design, etc.

BTW here's a video clip I did from today's morning commute. Pretty damned boring, but gives you an idea of interior sound levels with this catted header + Greddy muffler. It's quiet, but decent sound when you get on it - I'll try to get outside clips at some point, that's where it sounds really nice. Also may try to log and get some virtual dyno plots to show the shape of the torque curve now.

Those dynos plots would be great! They'd give me an idea on what I can expect from this header! If you manage to find the time to make some, I'd be very grateful.