follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2017, 07:17 PM   #1
giorgi0424

Drives: '14 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Mounting aftermarket header. Do i have to wrap/ ceramic coat for heat protection?

For those of you who have either installed an aftermarket header on your brz/frs or just know a lot about this stuff, I have a question. Is it highly recommended that I ceramic coat/wrap the header for heat protection, or is it more of a preference thing?

Would it be a huge mistake to just install the header the way it came in the box?

Have a new Borla catless UEL which I was supposed to install tomorrow, but now if the general consensus says I really ought to get them coated or I'd be making a huge mistake, it'll put a damper on my good mood
giorgi0424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've never been a fan of wrapping pipes for 2 reasons:

1) i live in a cold climate where it's pretty moist most years and that wrap usually traps moisture and we all know moisture and heat on metal is never a good thing.

2) it looks so ghetto and ratty after a few weeks.

I had a ceramic treated downpipe on my old car and it worked just fine without wrap. I'd honestly go for that to avoid having brittle pipes a few years down the road.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #3
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
I've never been a fan of wrapping pipes for 2 reasons:

1) i live in a cold climate where it's pretty moist most years and that wrap usually traps moisture and we all know moisture and heat on metal is never a good thing.

2) it looks so ghetto and ratty after a few weeks.

I had a ceramic treated downpipe on my old car and it worked just fine without wrap. I'd honestly go for that to avoid having brittle pipes a few years down the road.
yeah I'm not even considering wrapping. The consideration is going nude with the pipes lol
Old 03-03-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
Silver Cervy
*Some really cool title*

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
With the header being the hottest part of the exhaust system, I would definitely get it ceramic coated. Even though most are made with stainless steel, they can still be vulnerable to damage from heat cycles and the exhaust gases themselves. It's also to protect any components located around the header, especially anything electrical.
Silver Cervy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
Decay107
Turning is for Nerds

Drives: 35 characters is not enough
Thanked 1,259 Times in 717 Posts
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Most don't, my header (Tomei UEL) is uncoated and I haven't had any issues on the track yet.
Decay107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Are you tracking heavy? Any other mods to the car? FI?
Ceramic coating has it's benefits if you are pushing the car hard but as a DD it is a bit of overkill. I don't know what ceramic costs nowadays but it used to be freakin' expensive to get them done and quality was sometimes very questionable. I have never wrapped so have no idea about it.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I've read too many threads about problems with heat from an aftermarket header causing coil pack and possibly injector seal issues. If it was me, I'd wrap. I don't know how much moisture wrapping could hold in, it gets too hot to retain moisture long. I see motorcycles with heat wrap on their pipes all the time- out in the open.

Part of why I decided to gut was to retain the OEM look and heat shield. Plus nothing will last like OEM.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #8
giorgi0424

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Are you tracking heavy? Any other mods to the car? FI?
Ceramic coating has it's benefits if you are pushing the car hard but as a DD it is a bit of overkill. I don't know what ceramic costs nowadays but it used to be freakin' expensive to get them done and quality was sometimes very questionable. I have never wrapped so have no idea about it.
No i'm not tracking heavy. May do another autocross here and there this upcoming season, but most likely not. I drive enthusiastically for sure on back roads, but this is my DD overall.

Car will have a full exhaust after I get mine welded back up. For now, the header will be paired with the stock catback

I think what I'll do is use the VHT primer for the header, won't even worry about using the VHT ceramic header paint, since I don't really care what color the header is
Old 03-03-2017, 08:49 PM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgi0424 View Post
No i'm not tracking heavy. May do another autocross here and there this upcoming season, but most likely not. I drive enthusiastically for sure on back roads, but this is my DD overall.

Car will have a full exhaust after I get mine welded back up. For now, the header will be paired with the stock catback

I think what I'll do is use the VHT primer for the header, won't even worry about using the VHT ceramic header paint, since I don't really care what color the header is
Good call.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:58 PM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decay107 View Post
Most don't, my header (Tomei UEL) is uncoated and I haven't had any issues on the track yet.
Polished reflective finish ftw

Tags
ceramic coat, exhaust, header, header wrap, heat