follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2017, 09:25 PM   #57
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,510 Times in 18,915 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I'm not going to make May. Plumbing parts are trickling in. One of them is a unicorn; a 90-degree -12AN x -8BSPP adapter for the Mocal plate. Found that one through Grainger.

@gtengr, it works beautifully. Daily driving it heats up quickly and maintains nicely between 180F and 190F

In mild ambient temps of maybe 70F-80F, with it hard over through the cooler, the engine on full boil for unlimited duty cycle can just keep up with the cooler. The oil temp remains thermostatically controlled to just above 180F but it rapidly cools as soon as I go back to cruising below 4000 RPM.

I still need to make a bracket for the valve but it sits nestled in some towels nicely for the time being. No chafing.

edit: Oh, and by 'rapidly cools," I mean it goes down to a reasonably, not shockingly 150F-160F from the thermostat bypass flow.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 11-05-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
gtengr (11-05-2017), Jianlun (02-22-2023)
Old 11-19-2017, 05:42 AM   #58
scottman

Drives: 13 mt fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The Forrester cooler looks like an excellent option, but I read that the throttle body connection points and the oil cooler have different size fittings.
Did anyone have any problems with this or make up some step up/down adapters?
Thanks.
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottman For This Useful Post:
atomicalex (06-10-2019)
Old 06-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #59
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200hp/tonne View Post
With all the complex plumbing systems being made for cold/warm options, has anyone investigated a Laminova or Fluidyne coolant to Oil heat exchanger solution?
Fluidyne part I am considering:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...0500/overview/

With the huge flows this unit is capable of, I was thinking to put this heat exchanger in series with the heater core and normal sandwich plate for oil flow
Anyone know if there is another laminova kit that is similar to the FA20Club one? I believe FA20Club closed down.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...40&postcount=1

PTuning kit is nice but they are not sure if it will fit with the stock intake in place.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=123

Thanks!
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #60
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post
The Forrester cooler looks like an excellent option, but I read that the throttle body connection points and the oil cooler have different size fittings.
Thanks.
I plan on going this route and found the appropriate hose diameter adapters on Amazon but you can easily find these adapters in the plumbing section of any hardware store.
Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:18 AM   #61
falcon_wizard

Drives: BRZ 2013
Good day,

I have read all threads on the topic, yet am puzzled as to what would be the best course of action in my situation, and would appreciate any feedback and recommendation...

I own a BRZ with a Turbo setup with an intercooler sitting in front of the stock radiator, and based on oil temps I have experienced on my car after an HPDE event recently would seem to indicate an oil cooling is strongly advisable. We had ten 20mins sessions over two days, and oil temp, using 5w40 logged with the stock PiD would reach 280F for for last 10-12 mins of each session. My water temp reached 212F, and occilated between 197 and 212F. I did not notice any reduction in car performance in any of the sessions.

I use my vehicule all year round as daily driver and experience cold canadian winters, and would appreciate attending other HPDEs in the future, maybe twice a year or so. As it is my daily car to go to work, long term and overall reliability is very high of the priority list.

In my situation, would I be better of with a dual radiator/oil cooler set-up, or have an external air to oil cooler, possibly also with an upgraded radiator ? What would offer enough cooling with maximum reliability?

any feedback would be appreciated.
falcon_wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #62
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_wizard View Post
Good day,

I have read all threads on the topic, yet am puzzled as to what would be the best course of action in my situation, and would appreciate any feedback and recommendation...

I own a BRZ with a Turbo setup with an intercooler sitting in front of the stock radiator, and based on oil temps I have experienced on my car after an HPDE event recently would seem to indicate an oil cooling is strongly advisable. We had ten 20mins sessions over two days, and oil temp, using 5w40 logged with the stock PiD would reach 280F for for last 10-12 mins of each session. My water temp reached 212F, and occilated between 197 and 212F. I did not notice any reduction in car performance in any of the sessions.

I use my vehicule all year round as daily driver and experience cold canadian winters, and would appreciate attending other HPDEs in the future, maybe twice a year or so. As it is my daily car to go to work, long term and overall reliability is very high of the priority list.

In my situation, would I be better of with a dual radiator/oil cooler set-up, or have an external air to oil cooler, possibly also with an upgraded radiator ? What would offer enough cooling with maximum reliability?

any feedback would be appreciated.
The Jackson Racing dual radiator/ oil cooler is the best bang for you buck from what I've noticed. But if it's just a track car, and since you are turbocharged, I'd honestly go with a regular oil cooler. I believe the stock radiator is good enough unless you are seeing high water temps too.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:19 PM   #63
falcon_wizard

Thanks, I'll give the Jackson dual cooler a shot, it appears to be most suited for my Situations. Cheers
Old 06-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #64
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon525 View Post
I plan on going this route and found the appropriate hose diameter adapters on Amazon but you can easily find these adapters in the plumbing section of any hardware store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman View Post
Thanks.

If you guys are still going down the oem cooler route, NED tuning has a product I'm about to install on my car. All the tubing is included. It doesn't use fittings per say but it used hose clamps and its around $280
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:51 AM   #65
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
If you guys are still going down the oem cooler route, NED tuning has a product I'm about to install on my car. All the tubing is included. It doesn't use fittings per say but it used hose clamps and its around $280
Yes I'm still going down this route and I've seen the NED offering but I pieced it together myself for under $200. Their offering still has a hose that's too big on one of the connections so it's not like it has any added benefit to me.
I'm sure it still works fine if you tighten the hose clamps enough though. (The attachment is a screen grab of the instructions on NED's site.)
Attached Images

Last edited by Joon525; 06-26-2018 at 08:21 AM.
Joon525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joon525 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-26-2018), venturaII (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #66
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon525 View Post
Yes I'm still going down this route and I've seen the NED offering but I pieced it together myself for under $200. Their offering still has a hose that's too big on one of the connections so it's not like it has any added benefit to me.
I'm sure it still works fine if you tighten the hose clamps enough though. (The attachment is a screen grab of the instructions on NED's site.)
I bought the FXT kit from NED, and IMO, you did the smart thing by putting it together yourself, avoiding having to deal with NED's terrible customer service. That said, even though the bulk hose they supply to attach to the TB fitting is a tad large, all it takes is an extra couple of turns on the included hose clamp, making it a non-issue.
jflogerzi (09-06-2018), weederr33 (06-26-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 07:10 AM   #67
falcon_wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_wizard View Post
Thanks, I'll give the Jackson dual cooler a shot, it appears to be most suited for my Situations. Cheers

Just Following up, I have installed the Jackson dual cooler and logged the results, and they appear very promising. My temps stay below 240F, whereas they would previously reach 280F in comparable conditions. The oil warms up to op temp almost twice as fast too, so it' exactly what I was looking for.

See detailed graph on this post:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...104943&page=24

Cheers and thanks for the help.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to falcon_wizard For This Useful Post:
atomicalex (06-10-2019), bhmax (11-09-2019), CSG Mike (09-06-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 09:52 AM   #68
CB750F

Drives: 2015 BRZ WRB
Good day gents,

I have a quick question but first a little about my driving habits.
1 - I don't drive crazy on the streets, I've seen my oil temp go tp 103c going up a hill...
2 - Since 2015 I do autox & HPDE, about 5 to 6 times a yr for both. I would put
myself in the mid pack range, so, not slow but not fast either.
I just did a HPDE & it was a cool night, about 12c/50f & I got temps to 125c/256f.
Engine is stock. I'm waiting for the NED oil cooler & what should I expect as temps now?
Ballpark figure, will it drop by 10f on the track, will i see 230f or more?
For those who installed this type of cooler & would be in same group as me, what was your findings? My season is finished but I'll post my numbers next yr.
I see no benefit for autox as a minute run does not increase my oil temp, it's really the
20 min sessions at wot which are important.
I'll be putting a UEL & tune next yr, but I don't think it makes a big difference, not going FI. Using 0W20 oil, so far just dealer oil changes at required maintenance window.

So, what should I expect as oil temps with an NED oil cooler?

Tks,
CB750F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:15 AM   #69
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurderousPandas View Post
I have a well modified FRS, but i plan to keep it NA for a while. Would an O2W cooler be beneficial in a NA setup? These cars heat up a lot, even stock, so i want to get one, but i'm worried about overcooling or incorrect cooling setup. I don't have numbers right now, but i do notice performance drop after driving the car for sometime.

"Chasing speed with patience"
I know it's more so a Subaru engine (with a tad bit of Toyota mixed it direct/port injection) , but Toyota tends to engineer their engines to dissipate heat very well during operation and after shut down . I also notice my engine running fairly hot (high compression), seems hotter then my other small 4cyl Toyota car. The engine cooling rig / set up sounds like it could be beneficial , yet the potential for leaks (and older oil still caught in the system) is a turn off. If you track frequently and/or run boost, this could be a good way to go. I think I'm leaving well enough alone (probably change oil every 4-5k miles, not beyond 5k , and use quality synthetic 0w-20
Old 10-03-2018, 02:48 AM   #70
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB750F View Post
Good day gents,

I have a quick question but first a little about my driving habits.
1 - I don't drive crazy on the streets, I've seen my oil temp go tp 103c going up a hill...
2 - Since 2015 I do autox & HPDE, about 5 to 6 times a yr for both. I would put
myself in the mid pack range, so, not slow but not fast either.
I just did a HPDE & it was a cool night, about 12c/50f & I got temps to 125c/256f.
Engine is stock. I'm waiting for the NED oil cooler & what should I expect as temps now?
Ballpark figure, will it drop by 10f on the track, will i see 230f or more?
For those who installed this type of cooler & would be in same group as me, what was your findings? My season is finished but I'll post my numbers next yr.
I see no benefit for autox as a minute run does not increase my oil temp, it's really the
20 min sessions at wot which are important.
I'll be putting a UEL & tune next yr, but I don't think it makes a big difference, not going FI. Using 0W20 oil, so far just dealer oil changes at required maintenance window.

So, what should I expect as oil temps with an NED oil cooler?

Tks,
the forester/wrx cooler will usually take 10-15C off your peak oil temps for about 15 minutes hard running, then they start to run out of capacity especially in warmer ambient temps.

Id probably switch to a 5w30 full synthetic oil in preference to the 0w20.

pretty well anyone who drives hard and doesnt live in a below freezing climate would be better on a 5w30 oil.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-03-2018), venturaII (10-03-2018)