follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens8 View Post
Isn't aluminum cheaper than steel??
No and also it's hung on steel structure so it's gonna be hard. Can't really connect steel & aluminum. Gotta have special tool to do that. Which equal to more money.

But gotta say if they really do aluminum, I'll be really happy... but prob cry when I see the price tag.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:29 PM   #16
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
No and also it's hung on steel structure so it's gonna be hard. Can't really connect steel & aluminum. Gotta have special tool to do that. Which equal to more money.

But gotta say if they really do aluminum, I'll be really happy... but prob cry when I see the price tag.
I'm normally throwing the 'worst case' version of these rumours out there, but let's change things up...

If they are only doing hood, front fenders, doors, trunk, and roof panel it's not a big deal from a technical point of view to install them (think carbon-fiber aftermarket parts).

Secondly, even though the cost may be a bit higher, Toyota may be ramping up aluminum components across its line to improve economy/green-ness. Economies of scale could come into effect if this is going to become 'standard' for all or most new Toyota designs.

(Logo is 'meh'. Boxing pistons is ok, but the font for the 86 is a bit cheesy. Kind of like the Mk4's Supra logo, it'll date the car after a while.)

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #17
ryude

Drives: Volkswagen GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'd pay $1,000 more dollars for an aluminum body, but not much more than that. It would only save about 100 lbs.
ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #18
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryude View Post
I'd pay $1,000 more dollars for an aluminum body, but not much more than that. It would only save about 100 lbs.
100 lbs is nothing to sneeze at.

But one drawback would be if you were going to be super-hardcore and go all carbon for the things I mentioned, it would be better off to start with steel components. With aluminum you are paying for it at the beginning, then you are paying for the carbon ($$$$$ if you being super-duper-hardcore and are going for a pre-preg dry carbon) and not getting the same weight-loss to dollar value, since the aluminum bits are already reasonably light.

But I'll take the aluminum thank you very much Toyota.

Because titanium.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #19
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
to me that sounds like a steel spaceframe with a aluminium skin, meaning the aluminium will do little to nothing in respect to strength, and is only there to save weight on pannels
Old 12-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70NYD View Post
to me that sounds like a steel spaceframe with a aluminium skin, meaning the aluminium will do little to nothing in respect to strength, and is only there to save weight on pannels
I can't see it being any more than a conventional steel unibody with any component that is bolted or bonded on being replaced with aluminum. Like I mentioned before, hood, trunk, front fenders and roof panel.

That being said, I saw an add for the current Miata that said they had a new technique that could spot weld steel and aluminum together.

Because titanium.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #21
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
That being said, I saw an add for the current Miata that said they had a new technique that could spot weld steel and aluminum together.
Mitsubishi have done it since EVO9 MR (roof part)
Old 12-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #22
ryude

Drives: Volkswagen GTI
The difference in weight from steel to aluminum is much greater than the difference in weight in aluminum to carbon fiber.
ryude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #23
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
I'm normally throwing the 'worst case' version of these rumours out there, but let's change things up...

If they are only doing hood, front fenders, doors, trunk, and roof panel it's not a big deal from a technical point of view to install them (think carbon-fiber aftermarket parts).

Secondly, even though the cost may be a bit higher, Toyota may be ramping up aluminum components across its line to improve economy/green-ness. Economies of scale could come into effect if this is going to become 'standard' for all or most new Toyota designs.

(Logo is 'meh'. Boxing pistons is ok, but the font for the 86 is a bit cheesy. Kind of like the Mk4's Supra logo, it'll date the car after a while.)
Totally agreed. What's wrong with the Supra logo though? I think it looks awesome.

Quote:
100 lbs is nothing to sneeze at.

But one drawback would be if you were going to be super-hardcore and go all carbon for the things I mentioned, it would be better off to start with steel components. With aluminum you are paying for it at the beginning, then you are paying for the carbon ($$$$$ if you being super-duper-hardcore and are going for a pre-preg dry carbon) and not getting the same weight-loss to dollar value, since the aluminum bits are already reasonably light.

But I'll take the aluminum thank you very much Toyota.

+1.

The hit from Aluminum has to be taken somewhere. Aluminum is expensive to refine, because of high electricity production prices (due to high fuel prices). Fuel prices are high because of OPEC and the generally high demand-perceived availability ratio of fuel. To get lower fuel consumption, it is essential to lower the weight of automobiles. To lower the weight, Aluminum must be used in certain points of the structure. It's a total catch 22 situation, that cannot be solved (barring an extreme solution like mass production CF or Nuclear Powered Aluminum refineries) without taking an economic hit at some point in the circle. My $0.02
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:13 PM   #24
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids Heart View Post
Am I the only one that sees the Nazi SS symbol?
Some pple on other forums have said that it resembles a swastika

Interestingly enough, the section of the German penal code outlawing the display of the swastika for any other reason other than educational purposes is;

Strafgesetzbuch section 86a.

lol Coincidence much?
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #25
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
Some pple on other forums have said that it resembles a swastika

Interestingly enough, the section of the German penal code outlawing the display of the swastika for any other reason other than educational purposes is;

Strafgesetzbuch section 86a.

lol Coincidence much?

Meh. Just another reason to dump the font on the symbol. Otherwise it'd be fine. But they should advertise the fact it has boxer engine.

Hopefully the production car gets a RWD tag like AWD vehicles. It's a premium option now might as well advertise it right?
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #26
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
My guess is that it will be Aluminum Hood, front fenders, doors, roof panel, and trunk lid.

$50 says the rear-quarters are slim as hell steel.

It does up the price a bit, but not nearly enough that we'll be hurting our pockets over it. Besides, its worth it for the weight savings alone.

And the doors BETTER be Aluminum. Anyone who has EVER owned a Toyota coupe with steel doors will know why....
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #27
Jordo!
Enjoy it, destroy it.

Drives: Datsun Racing Hen
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Where did CD find this sketch???

The link is to their blog -- not really a full article.

Not calling bullshit, mind you, just wondering where they got this from...
Jordo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #28
no_name

Drives: 2005 Hyundai Accent
Aluminum = no rusty panels. Considering that my old 86 was more rust than steel, I fully support this idea.
no_name is offline   Reply With Quote