follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Mandy
I came from a motorbike

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[PSA] (Common knowledge?) Your license plate cover and you.

Well, I swapped my dealer plate covers (I got them to take off the stickers from my car; didn't think about the plate cover), and replaced it with one I that my alumni association had sent me. It's been on for maybe a week now, but it had been rattling whenever I shut the trunk, so I decided to examine it. I noticed some pretty deep scratching on the paint both near the top and the bottom of the cover. Suffice to say, I won't be using it much longer. I suppose tape/rubber/etc. could be used to prevent this from happening, whilst keeping the plate; however, I don't want to risk it.

I don't think I've ever had this issue in the past as all of my previous cars had 4 bolts to keep the plate down, and must have stopped it from moving around and causing scratches. Seems like the plate by itself can cause this issue as well.

Something like this seems like it would be a good. But I think the fact that only 2 bolts can be used still remains an issue.

TL;DR
If you're using a license plate cover/your dealer put one on, remove it, or use something to cover it to prevent scratches.
Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
86_ZN6

Drives: 86 ZN6
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,222 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Foam or rubber tape solves the problem

86_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Mandy
I came from a motorbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_ZN6 View Post
Foam or rubber tape solves the problem

I have two issue with the foam:

1) It's going to attract moisture. Moisture is inevitably going to lead to rust.
2) If it goes on the plate instead of the car, it's going to trap dust and other particles, causing scratching anyway.

3M tape on the car might work, but I'm not sure how something like that would work.

My solution that I'm thinking of now would be to get spray-on rubber, and just spray the entire backing of the plate. I feel like no matter what I do I'm going to lose, and just have to deal with the scratches.

I think a new rear plate holder should be something revised in upcoming model years.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
86_ZN6

Drives: 86 ZN6
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,222 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Your are correct with moisture

My plate has rubber now. Just posted the foam pic just for reference
86_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Mandy
I came from a motorbike

Quote:

I just spotted these at Weather Tech:
http://www.weathertech.com/clearcover/
http://www.weathertech.com/clearframe/

Might be worth the $25. It has a rubber gasket on it and it's fairly conservative. It still seems like it may bang around the bottom screws to hold the plate down, but I think I'd trust the rubber to make a good enough seal.

Edit:

Found this illustration; still seems like the metal plate would still cause banging as the rubber isn't between the plate itself and the finish. More research reveals this guy:
Flexy Frame

Says it's for the front bumper, but I'm sure it would work on the rear as well:

Seems ideal.

Last edited by Mandy; 03-30-2013 at 07:34 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandy For This Useful Post:
13 FR-S Veteran (04-03-2013), 86_ZN6 (03-30-2013), ShoGun (04-02-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Cade01

Drives: '13 White FR-S, 09 Triumph St.3 R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I use closed cell foam weather stripping, work good, doesn't hold moisture, and I've never had any scratching issues. I think it is FrostKing brand.
Cade01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Tucson FR-S

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I discovered the same problem when I went to put my permanent plate on today, so I ditched the dealer's frame. Since I couldn't find any neoprene washers around, I used rubber hose gaskets to keep the plate off the trunk.
Attached Images

Tucson FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
FriedRicr
Woop Dee Woop Woop Woop

Drives: Raven 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson FR-S View Post
I discovered the same problem when I went to put my permanent plate on today, so I ditched the dealer's frame. Since I couldn't find any neoprene washers around, I used rubber hose gaskets to keep the plate off the trunk.
massive THUMB!!!!!!
FriedRicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:45 AM   #9
Clembo
'Senior' Junior Member

Drives: 13 FR-S,08 Mustang Bullitt,06 MX-5
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade01 View Post
I use closed cell foam weather stripping, work good, doesn't hold moisture, and I've never had any scratching issues. I think it is FrostKing brand.
I use the same thing on the bottom of the plate. Made up rubber washers from rubber fuel line for the top, just sliced off with utility knife to get the right thickness.

Doesn't retain moisture back there, no rattles and no scratches.

"You'll never know if you don't try" - Shinroko Momose
Clembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
fiveoneoh

Drives: none
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
Well, I swapped my dealer plate covers (I got them to take off the stickers from my car; didn't think about the plate cover), and replaced it with one I that my alumni association had sent me. It's been on for maybe a week now, but it had been rattling whenever I shut the trunk, so I decided to examine it. I noticed some pretty deep scratching on the paint both near the top and the bottom of the cover. Suffice to say, I won't be using it much longer. I suppose tape/rubber/etc. could be used to prevent this from happening, whilst keeping the plate; however, I don't want to risk it.

I don't think I've ever had this issue in the past as all of my previous cars had 4 bolts to keep the plate down, and must have stopped it from moving around and causing scratches. Seems like the plate by itself can cause this issue as well.

Something like this seems like it would be a good. But I think the fact that only 2 bolts can be used still remains an issue.

TL;DR
If you're using a license plate cover/your dealer put one on, remove it, or use something to cover it to prevent scratches.
what about using a plastic mounting bracket? It's like a 1/4" thick piece of plastic you put under your plate. It is thick enough to prvent my alumni cover from touching the paint.

Has anyone tried that? I got one from Autozone but my plates haven't arrived yet so I don't know how it will work.
fiveoneoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Use a Closed Cell Foam to prevent moisture.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license plate covers, scratches