follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #323
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just did an impromptu photoshoot after I had the car washed and waxed.

Pretty much how the car looks now with all the cosmetic updates.
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tye300 For This Useful Post:
Enalband24 (01-09-2015), pcuerpo (08-25-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 04:00 AM   #324
JMx86

Drives: Toyota 86 Aero AT SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
wala bang bago @Tye300? hahaha
JMx86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #325
Tye300

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMx86 View Post
wala bang bago @Tye300? hahaha
Coming soon! Ask @victorb what's cooking! Haha!
Old 09-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #326
Tye300

I finally completed all the components to fully switch to a flex fuel setup and a run a flex fuel tune! DW 700cc injectors and DW 65c fuel pump paired with a moto-east flex fuel kit.

What's in the boxmoto-east flex fuel kit)

DW kit:

The only niggle is why the flex fuel gauge seems to be diffrent than the ones I see from other members here? @moto-mike
Old 09-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #327
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Lookin good...if I remember correctly this was the order where the ECA 2 was ordered instead of the usual ECA1. Functionally identical, but the ECA1 is just a bit easier to install on the BRZ application. You should have a green slip in there with the wiring colors, and we got some of the connections on there already it looks like. The ECA2 is actually packaged a bit better with the nicer round display, but it has the bigger 4 pin connector that doesn't fit through the wire harness nipple. That's why we went ECA1. But we have several folks who have gotten the ECA2 version.

Basically with the ECA2 you hook up the power, ground, and run the output to the harness we included. Plug harness into the ECU. Then you have a 4 pin connector for the sensor, and a jack connector for the gauge.

Car looks awesome BTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye300 View Post
I finally completed all the components to fully switch to a flex fuel setup and a run a flex fuel tune! DW 700cc injectors and DW 65c fuel pump paired with a moto-east flex fuel kit.

What's in the boxmoto-east flex fuel kit)

DW kit:

The only niggle is why the flex fuel gauge seems to be diffrent than the ones I see from other members here? @moto-mike
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
Tye300 (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #328
Tye300

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
Lookin good...if I remember correctly this was the order where the ECA 2 was ordered instead of the usual ECA1. Functionally identical, but the ECA1 is just a bit easier to install on the BRZ application. You should have a green slip in there with the wiring colors, and we got some of the connections on there already it looks like. The ECA2 is actually packaged a bit better with the nicer round display, but it has the bigger 4 pin connector that doesn't fit through the wire harness nipple. That's why we went ECA1. But we have several folks who have gotten the ECA2 version.

Basically with the ECA2 you hook up the power, ground, and run the output to the harness we included. Plug harness into the ECU. Then you have a 4 pin connector for the sensor, and a jack connector for the gauge.

Car looks awesome BTW!
Thank you very much! We will be installing the kit today. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #329
Tye300

Moto-East Flex Fuel Kit, DW 700cc Injectors and DW65c Fuel Pump Install (9-29-14)

Moto-East Flex Fuel Kit, DW 700cc Injectors and DW65c Fuel Pump Install (9-29-14)

I finally got everything needed to go flex fuel. I've been wanting to try some corn juice for a while now, and thanks to @victorb, got a moto-east flex fuel kit from him.

The Moto-east kit is a well thought out kit that comes with everything you need to complete the install. I had a bit of a problem though, the kit is for an FR-S. I have an 86. It's not moto-east's fault, I just did not do enough research on the matter. It turns out that the 86 has different fuel fittings than the FR-S, and the fittings on the kit make it impossible to install on an 86 as is. Moto-mike was really helpful on his end though, and gave me a few options to choose from. Either ship the whole kit to him and he will retrofit the correct fittings or show me the correct fittings and do it locally to save on overseas shipping. Thank you @moto-mike for being a great sport! Issues aside, the whole kit would take maybe around 2-3 hours to install. I took my time with the wiring, and the fuel line side took around 30mins to do. I had a few confusing moments with the online instructions because it was for an ECA1 kit, while I had an ECA2 kit which comes with this kind of gauge.

DW 700cc injectors and the DW65c pump was a straightforward install aside from the argument on how many o-rings you must put on it. We went with the stock plastic spacer and one o-ring. I have gotten a few hard starts since the pump install and I'll see how it goes. Once the car is running, the idle is solid and the car runs smoothly.

Tuning was done by my regular tuners, Speedworks. The dyno used is the same dyno I have been using from the start which is in SCAG Automotive Services. I filled up with E85 with a 1/4 tank left of 100 octane (93 for the US people) and ended up with E58 as the ECA gauge informed me.

After a few runs, we ended up with 300.86 whp with 218.33 torque. The tune is not done yet, as I have to fill up with pure E85 to get tuning done for higher ethanol content. Not bad for stock 9psi pulley imo.
Here's a comparison for the current tune:
RED is 85 tune on stock 9psi pulley
BLUE is 93 pump tune on 9psi pulley
PURPLE is stock tune with headers. (could not find the baseline tune)

UPDATE:

I had my second fill up with E85 and according to the ECA, I have E71. I will probably visit the dyno after my third tank to get as much ethanol content to finish the tune. I have been driving it for a few days now, and had a few WOT runs. Midrange has picked up substantially, and it feels like E85 wakes the car up. Throttle response is crisper, and the car just feels lighter and peppier overall. The car just pulls, period.
The larger injectors make part throttle driving a lot smoother. I used to have a slight bog around 2000-2500rpm with the stock injectors but now it feels completely stock during daily driving and part throttle, it's amazing. I have a trackday coming up soon and will take further notes then.

Here's some pics of the revised fuel fittings and how the flex fuel sensor is installed on the car. It's on there pretty solid, and it does not contact any part of the chassis.

Thank you to Speedworks, SCAG, Moto-East, and Victorb!

Last edited by Tye300; 10-02-2014 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #330
victorb
Banned

Drives: Black 86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Awesome documentation, awesome car and congratulations on hitting the 300whp mark!

I am hoping you hit 320whp when the ethanol content is higher (around 80%)

See you soon! Coffee time☕
victorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #331
Tye300

Stark Performance Paddle Shifter Extensions Install(10-3-14)

Stark Performance Paddle Shifter Extensions Install(10-3-14)

When this product came out last month, I was excited to try it out as I have always wanted someone to make some paddle extensions for the 86. The stock paddles are good, and has taught me to keep my hands in a great position on the steering wheel while on the track. Sometimes though, I wish the paddles were a bit bigger to make it easier to reach during some high speed turns.

This is where the Stark Performance Paddle Shifter extensions come in. This kit is one of those things that you think should have come sooner or you could have made yourself. It's not that hard to do, but no one did it until Stark and a handful of japanese tuners. The reason is that the AT users are in a minority, and most of them don't care about the paddles anyway. I'm in a minority of that minority. I fuss over the small details and think how things could be improved on more.

The kit comes with the left and right extenders, an alcohol swab, and the double sided tape already in place in the extensions. Just clean the stock paddles with the swab, peel off the tape, and stick.

Before:
[IMG]http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af165/Tyrone300/IMG_9511_zpsa1799***.jpg[/IMG]

Now for a $100, I expected more out of the kit actually. When I opened the box and inspected the extensions, I noticed the paddles were poorly finished and had a bit of paint overspray left on them. The back part of the extensions were also poorly finished that when you touch them, you can feel the roughness of the finish. It seems that it would do the kit a great favor if I would wet sand it some more and top it with clear coat. You could see the overspray in this picture here.

After:

The fit is not that great either, with my left paddle sitting flush, but the right paddle would not stick on good and it seems the stock paddle is not seated perfect.

Overall, the kit does it's job, but it fails in the fit and finish department. If it was around $30-$50, I would not have gotten my hopes up. But at $100, it seems it's not worth it's price. I hope Stark Performance would correct the kit's shortcomings, and if they do, then the price would justify the cost.

UPDATE:

Stark Performance paddles part two

As promised, here is my updated review of the Stark Performance Paddle shifters. I wanted to do Mike's effort justice after he replaced the first set of paddles he sent me. I broke out my macro lens to document all the differences of the new paddles from the old ones.

The package is still the same, paddles come in this white box as pictured. The extensions, cleaner, and instructions are same except some new additions of Mike's calling card and a sticker.

Looking at the new set, it is apparent that the finish is a lot better than the first batch as Stark mentioned. The surfaces are smoother, and edges are sharper this time around. For example, here is a comparison of the old vs the new.

The old paddles have a lot of bubbles from the casting process.

The new ones have a smoother and consistent surface.

The old ones have a bubble right where the stock paddles meet the extensions, and is visible even from afar when installed.

The new batch has eliminated the bubble.

The tip of the old extensions have overspray and bubbles, plus the edges are inconsistent.

The new ones have a better finish and shape overall with minimal paint imperfections.

The new ones are molded better and fit the stock paddles more evenly.

Overall, the new batch are light years ahead of the old ones and way more worth the asking price, which was my complaint from the beginning. I want to commend Stark Performance for standing up for their product and providing excellent customer service. I understand that they-or he, is just a new company in the game, but with this attitude, will win over new customers easily. Thank you for going the extra mile for this customer!

Last edited by Tye300; 11-30-2014 at 03:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tye300 For This Useful Post:
Grim-Reaper (10-03-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #332
Sithspawn

Drives: '14 Hot Lava FR-S w/Flappy Paddles
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Garage
Thank you for your honest and unbiased review. I would like to take the opportunity to correct the issues you describe and send you a new pair of paddles. I strive to produce the best parts that I can and hand check every one before I package them up. I apologize for missing the details that you are unhappy with and will make it right.

I did notice that my current batch of paddles does not have the finish I would like and am working to correct them. I will contact you as soon as I have a new set ready for you.

-Mike
Sithspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sithspawn For This Useful Post:
Tye300 (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 03:39 AM   #333
pearlhatchiroku

Drives: pearl white eighty six
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tye, Sir are you still using the stock map sensor?

Never ending awesome upgrades!
pearlhatchiroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:57 AM   #334
Tye300

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlhatchiroku View Post
Tye, Sir are you still using the stock map sensor?

Never ending awesome upgrades!
Thanks bro! No, I am using a 3bar map sensor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tye300 For This Useful Post:
pearlhatchiroku (10-03-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 01:16 AM   #335
Tye300

Vortech 3.125 Pulley install and Dyno (10-23-14)

Vortech 3.125 Pulley install and Dyno(10-23-14)

I finally gave in and decided to turn up the boost. I ordered two pulleys, the 2.87 and the 3.125. After much debate and talk with my tuner, we decided to go with the 3.125 pulley as the car is a daily driver and sees the track regularly.

The reason going with less boost is because my tuner said that with the 2.87 pulley would be pushing the limits on pump gas. With E85, it would be okay, but since the tracks we go are really far from the E85 station, pump gas would be used more frequently. A reliable 350whp daily driver is still the main goal here. Plus the 2.87 pulley will overspin the blower by 166rpm. Not much, but I don't want to risk it.

Looking at the 3.125 pulley, it seems that Vortech made some improvements as the pulley now has engraved letters. Older pulleys don't have markings and users rely on measuring them to determine the size. With the new markings, there is less confusion with the sizes.

I went with the gates K060966 belt. I tried looking for a blue version but I could not find any.

I also decided to change my BOV spring.

Here's the 3.125 pulley compared to the 2.87.

Pulley install went on smoothly, it took us around two hours to do. It could have been less but I had to look for some locktite.

On the Dyno:

Dynotune was done right after the install. As usual, it was done at SCAG to ensure consistency of the readings.

[ame]http://youtu.be/Cip3bpSubxs[/ame]

The first few runs were mostly the same, around 340 whp, best run of the day was a 349.38 hp and 252.45 tq on E81. The 3.125 pulley was making .86 bar which translates to around 12.6 psi of boost.

Here's a comparison of the power levels:

Blue is 3.125 pulley on E85
Maroon is 3.48 pulley on E85
Red is 3.48 pulley on pump gas

Last phase of my flex fuel tune will be tuning the 3.125 pulley on pump gas. First impressions on this setup is that the car is now in beast mode. Torque is significantly increased that you are pushed back in your seat when accelerating. I have to shake it down on our upcoming trackday to give a better assessment.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tye300 For This Useful Post:
Cal3000 (05-15-2015), civicdrivr (08-18-2015), CxG (04-12-2017), Deepseadiver (08-23-2015), GT86_2014 (01-03-2015)
Old 10-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #336
sissupr

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium - SWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Good stuff on the 3.12. That's what im running... need to dyno it on e85.. and glad the 2.87 pulley is in good hands if you decide to use it...