follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
SpyderMS

Drives: 2014 BRZ - Crystal Black Silica
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Helmet 'issues' - Need clarification on SNELL certification

So I need a helmet for a track meet next weekend, and looking to get an open face since I'm in Phoenix. When I went to a Ride Now Powersports store to try some on, the salesman there said that there are 'never' open faced SNELL certified helmets, as SNELL requires a closed face. This seems to go against previous conversations with fellow Arizonan @jasper, who told me that most of them wear open faced helmets due to the heat and for visibility. The Pyrotect Sportsman helmet I'm looking at getting is open faced, and the manufacturer claims it is Snell M2010 rated.

@jasper I know you are in Vegas but if you happen to be browsing and can chime in, I'd love to hear your take on this
Old 06-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
There are plenty of SA2010 open face helmets.

The Pyrotect helmet you reference IS SA 2010 Rated. It's fine to use for any track event.

I ware full face because I also use mine for karting and those have to be full faced with visor.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
oofie

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I have a Bell open face helmet - Snell SA2005
oofie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oofie For This Useful Post:
SpyderMS (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
derek1ee

Drives: BRZ/FRS/STI/M3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I buy my car/motorcycle helmet from speedwayhelmets.com and have really good experience with them, tell them derek sent you
they're in AZ so you should be able to buy one for tomorrow.
derek1ee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to derek1ee For This Useful Post:
SpyderMS (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
Getagrip

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Just look for the SNELL sticker under the padding. That's what the inspectors will be looking for anyway.
Scooby South (07-01-2013)
Old 06-15-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
SpyderMS

Garage
Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getagrip View Post
Just look for the SNELL sticker under the padding. That's what the inspectors will be looking for anyway.
I'm buying online, so can't look under the helmet until I receive it
Old 06-16-2013, 04:18 AM   #7
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMS View Post
So I need a helmet for a track meet next weekend, and looking to get an open face since I'm in Phoenix. When I went to a Ride Now Powersports store to try some on, the salesman there said that there are 'never' open faced SNELL certified helmets, as SNELL requires a closed face. This seems to go against previous conversations with fellow Arizonan @jasper, who told me that most of them wear open faced helmets due to the heat and for visibility. The Pyrotect Sportsman helmet I'm looking at getting is open faced, and the manufacturer claims it is Snell M2010 rated.

@jasper I know you are in Vegas but if you happen to be browsing and can chime in, I'd love to hear your take on this
Yes I always use an open face I can bring one for you for the next event I have a rather large collection of helmets. I like Simpson they seem to have the best products but they charge for them. For visibility I always use an open face. If you do one session in an open face and the next in a closed face you will see the difference even though many will tell you it's not significant to me it is worth it to have an open face.
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
SpyderMS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper View Post
Yes I always use an open face I can bring one for you for the next event I have a rather large collection of helmets. I like Simpson they seem to have the best products but they charge for them. For visibility I always use an open face. If you do one session in an open face and the next in a closed face you will see the difference even though many will tell you it's not significant to me it is worth it to have an open face.
Thanks! I actually ordered the helmet on Friday, so it will hopefully be here before Saturday. It seems I have a rather large head... XL and XXL helmets at Ride Now were fitting quite snug. I ended up ordering the XXL Pyrotect open face. If for whatever reason shipping is delayed though, do you have an XL/XXL helmet?
Old 06-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #9
Rejor11

Drives: Mini Cooper
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is Snell required on tracks now?? The one I go to only requires DOT. I knwo SNell is better, but normally one would get those if they were karting or riding motorcycles.

Then again i guess it depends on the event you go to.
Rejor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Many tracks / events specify SA certified over M
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejor11 View Post
Is Snell required on tracks now?? The one I go to only requires DOT. I knwo SNell is better, but normally one would get those if they were karting or riding motorcycles.

Then again i guess it depends on the event you go to.
Snell is protection from penetration from a sharp object. These are normally required for a car track day but just a dot is required for a motorcycle track day. But each track and club has a different insurance policy requiring different safety equipment so always check before you go.

Sent from my Q10
Old 06-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMS View Post
Thanks! I actually ordered the helmet on Friday, so it will hopefully be here before Saturday. It seems I have a rather large head... XL and XXL helmets at Ride Now were fitting quite snug. I ended up ordering the XXL Pyrotect open face. If for whatever reason shipping is delayed though, do you have an XL/XXL helmet?
I don't know if I have one that big I wear a medium so the biggest I might have would be a large. Message me Friday and I will go out in the garage and check for you if yours hasn't shipped yet.

Sent from my Q10
Old 06-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I purchased an open-faced helmet for my first track days. I'll be switching to a close faced helmet when I purchase my next one. Since your windows are open, there's lots of stuff flying into the car. I don't want any of it hitting me in the eye. And when you go off, and you will go off eventually, there's going to be all sorts of dust and grass and crap flying into the car. You want a close-faced helmet then, too. If heat is a concern, eventually you can splurge and get one with an AC inlet. Some jerry-rigging will give you a cool head.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I purchased an open-faced helmet for my first track days. I'll be switching to a close faced helmet when I purchase my next one. Since your windows are open, there's lots of stuff flying into the car. I don't want any of it hitting me in the eye. And when you go off, and you will go off eventually, there's going to be all sorts of dust and grass and crap flying into the car. You want a close-faced helmet then, too. If heat is a concern, eventually you can splurge and get one with an AC inlet. Some jerry-rigging will give you a cool head.
I personally would never drive on the track with the AC on. I also wear glasses or sunglasses when I track the car so I have never gotten anything in my eye. I think the average person will be fine with an open faced helmet.