follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I fear you've made an incorrect assumption about me.

I am not making that assumption nor am I taking "everyone" into consideration, only those that treat their car better then themselves. The question in itself; "Why love an inanimate thing more than oneself?", automatically excludes all those who do otherwise and is not limited to FRS enthusiasts, car enthusiasts or even car owners for that matter.

The proposed question is also without judgement and was posed for 2 reasons: genuine curiosity as to the disconnect and also for the purpose of a discussion.

That is a philosophic question. What about people that fall inlove with inanimate objects? Saw a tv show where a woman fell in love with a bridge and another guy with his car. Really in love.

I agree we all lose sight of our well being, some more than others. Stress plays a big role, believe me. Again thats a catch 22 since healthy living helps one deflect stress. I happen to be very stressed by my work these days and unfortunately my relief is weed.

There are TONS of healthy living forums I am sure. This topic only reminds me that I am stressed and not taking care of myself. As far as the metrosexual comment, I didnt think it was inappropriate at all, just making reference to those that love themselvess a bit too much, vs not enough.

I wont even get into narcissists.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
My take on it is fairly simple. Though a car is made of metal and other such tough materials, it's really a lot more fragile than you or I. A car's useful life may be anywhere between 5 years to 50, or more depending on how you treat it. What's the average age life span of a human? I don't know the exact number, but I know it's greater than 50 years. We take care of the cars because we don't want them to break. We don't take care of ourselves because we're not worried about breaking until we actually do.

And as was previously mentioned, you have the exceptions to both parties. There are people that will not care about their car at all, and no babying will take place. Those same people might actually be the ones that take amazing care of themselves, or not. Then there are people who will love the crap out of their car and baby it every chance they get, while not worrying about their own health. Everyone will handle themselves and their cars differently so it will be difficult to get a straight answer.

Also, the thought behind this question could really be applied to any question, and answered the same way. People obsess over a lot of things. A person might have an incredibly nice, expensive house that is always clean, neat and taken care of, while they themselves are completely a mess. Why love the house, but not yourself? Or, why be beautiful and live in an ugly house? It's just a matter of what you care about most. More often than not, a hobby will get your attention before your own personal care will.

Edit: Also, how does one define self-love? You may love the car, and take amazing care of it, while not taking care of yourself at all, but you still love who and what you are. You still love your life. The car is still just an object to you at the end of the day, but your life will always be awesome.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #17
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I liked one of my cars until my sons girlfriend borrowed it and found that the satnav did not tell her that the taxi in front had stopped.
Now I can see that all cars are metal and plastic , which at best can be recycled one day.
At least the 86/brz/frs is "fun to drive" before recycling.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
It's much easier to care for a car than ourselves...if you want an easy answer.

For the majority it's the contrary.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
**wonders if rice_classic looked at the footage of me with crazy hair on his dash cam**
Big Brother is always watching...
Old 01-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Because some people just don't really care that much about their body "if it aint broke dont fix it" as long as they're not "dying" they could careless. Staying fit and healthy takes discipline, and not everyone has it. At least not in those regards. You can have all the money and material items in the world, but it's not going to matter if you don't have your health.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #21
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Self fulfilling prophecy.

Some are different than others. Is the only way I could describe it...

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #22
jarviz

Drives: Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Get it a few months before winter so you won't care as much about it when winter does hit. I haven't cleaned it 3 months 'cause of the cold. I just move it into the driveway if they're gonna salt the roads.
jarviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
I have always preferred doing things that are physical chores vs. going to the gym. For example, when I first moved into my present house I spent a lot of time working on it. I found that exercise healthy mentally and physically, and unlike the gym I was actually performing work.

The gym is good for you, but I prefer doing work that gives me a result (other than JUST to my body).
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #24
wallace03

Drives: WRB BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
I have always preferred doing things that are physical chores vs. going to the gym. For example, when I first moved into my present house I spent a lot of time working on it. I found that exercise healthy mentally and physically, and unlike the gym I was actually performing work.

The gym is good for you, but I prefer doing work that gives me a result (other than JUST to my body).
When people come to me for advice my first question is usually "what is your goal?" To be generally fit the gym is not necessary. It is for people who want to build muscle, gain strength, or improve performance. There are other ways to be fit including daily physical activities and healthy nutrition. I guess my point is no one should feel bad for not making time for the gym.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 PM   #25
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
one day my car got a bath and i didnt.... so did i win or lose?

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 AM   #26
snapspinner

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I washed myself today. I washed my car today. All is in balance in my life.

Rice classic. Why you got to ask such douche questions.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:50 AM   #27
White Shadow
Banned

Drives: 12,000 miles per year
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
When I scratch my car, I cry. When I scrape myself, I cry.
When you scrape yourself, your skin heals in a few days and you're good as new. Too bad it's not that easy when you scratch your car.

As for your wife, no comment.
White Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:58 AM   #28
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
When you scrape yourself, your skin heals in a few days and you're good as new. Too bad it's not that easy when you scratch your car.

As for your wife, no comment.

Trolling. I'm not married.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote