follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Article on TTAC about the GT86-- Speaks with Engineer!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...hief-engineer/

Interesting

Quote:

Today was the day Toyota’s FT86 was officially revealed. Actually, it will be officially revealed at the Tokyo Motor Show, which will open its doors to the public on December 3. Today, the international media had a sneak preview of the car. Us, and maybe 20,000 people who lined the galleries of the Fuji Raceway where Toyota and Gazoo Racing held its TGRF (Toyota Gazoo Racing Festival). The masses could witness from afar as Akio Toyoda climbed out of an orange sports car, removed his helmet and waved at the adoring crowds.

The press corps had a chance to drive the car. That opportunity that was immediately turned into hoonery by a rough and tumble contingent from Australia. One of them drove the car with so much enthusiasm that it spun out , did a few twirls and had a near-miss with an Australian cohort. We immediately had proof that the car provided only the barest necessities in computer control, and that one has to know how to drive, unless a rendition of Swan Lake is desired.

Before we get to that, the essentials. The name of the car had been the target of endless speculation. Until yesterday evening, Toyota steadfastly referred to the car as nothing else than a “compact real-wheel-drive sports car.”
Some at TTAC had recommended that the car should get a Japanese name. Toyota listens to its customers and complied.
The car will be called “Hachiroku.”
This is Japanese and means 86.
Yes, Toyota simply dropped the “FT”. It also wants to carry on the spirit of the AE86 of lore.

For me, the most interesting part of today was to sit in a quiet room with Tetsuya Tada, and a handpicked group of journalists. (The man on the right is Hans Greimel of Automotive News.) We could listen to Tada’s comments about the car. We had talked before, in August, but this time, the Chief Engineer of the 86 could be less circumspect and was able to talk openly. He sure did. For starters, I learn that Toyota’s test drivers had given him a very hard time:
“Mr. Toyoda almost continuously participated in the development of this car. Not as President, but as a test driver. Usually, when they say that the president of a company is test driving a prototype car, then it is mostly ceremonial. Mr. Toyoda’s participation was not simply ceremonial. He was a serious test driver and had some pretty tough comments. In some phases of the development. he said: “If that is the best you can do, why not quit now.” One by one, we overcame these problems.

In the grand scheme of things, Akio Toyoda had been polite. Stronger words came from Hiromu Naruse, Toyota’s chief test driver who found an untimely death by crashing his LFA into a BMW 3series on a rural highway close to the Nürburgring. Tada remembers:
“When Naruse-san was still alive, he participated in the tests many time and gave us some quite harsh comments, like: ‘This is a miserable car. You are doing very poorly.’
We tested this car at the Nürburgring. Naruse-san died very close to the Nürburgring, and each time we testdrove the car later, we made sure to pass by the memorial of Naruse-san. We tried to keep Naruse-san’s spirit alive.”

One by one, the challenges thrown up by the test drivers were met. But there were other people, Tada had to contend with.
“We visited with car enthusiasts in Japan, America and Europe. The feedback we received was almost always the same. They said there are a lot of sports cars with high horsepower that are very fast, but these are not the sports cars that they want to have. They want small compact cars that are controllable, that they can tune themselves. However, that kind of sports car is not on the market. Therefore, these sports car enthusiasts are forced to continue to use older cars from a long time ago, because there is no new alterative on the market.”

Their requirements clashed with another group: Toyota’s board. The board wanted a car that goes faster than other cars. Tada’s colleagues at other car companies had to contend with the same problem:
“We also went to competitors and asked them: “Why do you focus on fast cars?” The response almost always was: ‘Actually, we really don’t want to develop these kinds of cars. But once we bring a plan to develop that car to our board, the first question the directors of the company would ask is: How much faster is that car compared to what the competition has? How many seconds faster around the Nürburgring? What about the acceleration? These questions always come up because numerical performance is the easiest to understand.
Now how did we get the permission from our board? The only reason was that among the directors, there was a person called Akio Toyoda, who is a car enthusiast himself.”

Tada not only had to convince a board that was fixated on numbers. He also had to do something highly risqué: Ditch the Toyota Way of developing cars:
“There is a Toyota standard for designing new cars. This standard was to a large extent ignored. Why did we do this? There are cars that are accepted by a lot of people. Practical cars that are easy to drive and that do not break easily. These are standard Toyota cars. The 86 is not a car like that. We had to change our design approach for this car. We may have to do this again for other cars.
It is impossible to develop a sports car that appeals to everybody. If you try to please everybody, the car would be half-baked for everybody, and not particularly good for anybody. This car is not developed by a committee, or by consensus.”

And would you believe that even Toyota’s advertising department did not like the car?
“When we first presented this idea to our advertising people, they were drastically opposed to this idea. They complained that the car doesn’t have a particularly fast time on the circuit, it does not use any new technology. They also could not think of a catchy headline for the catalogue.”
Someone should have a chat with that advertising department.

The word of mouth enthusiasm for this car is so strong, maybe it doesn’t need any advertising. Thousands of grassroots racers around the world are looking forward to a car they can tinker with. Tada built it for them:
“To make the car customizable, we did away with computers to the highest extent possible. A lot of the cars on the market today are controlled by computers. People have the feeling that they are driven by the car instead of them driving the car. That makes for a boring experience. That is why we decided to go back to the basics of car making. With the low center of gravity, the driver now is in personal touch with the road again.”
How much will this car cost? This remains a state secret. All Toyota says is that it will be “affordably priced.” Asked what that means, Tada launches into a dangerous discourse, with his press handlers getting visibly nervous:
“30 to 40 years ago, there was an AE86, and the price of this car was 1.5 million yen. At the time, that was the starting salary was for a university graduate. We kept that in mind when we priced the car. In the meantime, there has been a rise in prices, and the starting salaries rose also.”

The starting salary of a university graduate in Japan is around 2.5 million yen. In today’s undervalued dollars, this would be around $32,000. We will have to wait until early 2012 when the car is officially released. There will be no pricing announcement at the Auto Show.
All the specs that are available can be downloaded here.
Ah, the test-drive.

I drove the same 86 the Aussie hoons pirouetted through a sharp turn. All I did was make the tires chirp. At a test drive, I like to return the car as I found it. It drove very nicely. It does not press you into the bucket seat with jet fighter g-forces. I am told it will do 230 km/h (143 mph) and will go 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) in 6 seconds.
Would I buy it?
Yes.

Last edited by Buggy51; 11-27-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
thanks for the article
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Navi

Drives: Peugeot RCZ EP7 4E-FTE Ford ST150
Send a message via MSN to Navi
Wow nice!

Also the price part, finally some word about it.
2010 Peugeot RCZ - Current
Visit: http://www.4agte.nl
Navi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Buggy51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
Wow nice!

Also the price part, finally some word about it.
Haha yeah, though call me cheap, but I hope its somewhat reliable >_>

and I seriously hope its not 32k USD. Inverse those numbers plz.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #5
.GENO.

Drives: '02 E46 coupe. '97 Nissan 240sx RIP
All these articles are getting me excited!!
.GENO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
2600lbs and 0-60 in 6 secs isn't bad at all
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
poormans_LFA
FT86Club.com O.G.

Drives: Gunmetal Gundam Wing Zero Custom
a couple of interesting excerpts:

Quote:
These questions always come up because numerical performance is the easiest to understand.
it's funny. people think how good a car is equates to how fast it goes from point to point b. speed doesn't count for much in the real, especially the legality of driving at excessive speeds.

Quote:
A lot of the cars on the market today are controlled by computers. People have the feeling that they are driven by the car instead of them driving the car. That makes for a boring experience. That is why we decided to go back to the basics of car making. With the low center of gravity, the driver now is in personal touch with the road again.
my sentiments about all German cars today. I feel like the engineers are into outsmarting themselves and you more than building cars that satisfy the customer. the latter appears to be exactly the approach the guys at Toyota/Subaru took in developing this car.

good article. thanks for sharing.
poormans_LFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Jezza_hr

Drives: AE86 Trueno
Probably the most informative article so far this weekend, thanks very much for posting this. It's upsetting to know we still won't know the price at the announcement though.
Jezza_hr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Garage
0-60 6 seconds is great! Lots of speculation lately, just gotta wait 2 more days!
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Top speed 143mph, 0-60 in 6 sec. Are you happy now 0-60 guys?
197hp is about enough for this car. We don't really need Turbo.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
Buggy51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezza_hr View Post
Probably the most informative article so far this weekend, thanks very much for posting this. It's upsetting to know we still won't know the price at the announcement though.
Well, technically not the official announcement. Gotta have some tidbit of info at the TMS right? XD
Old 11-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
Jezza_hr

Drives: AE86 Trueno
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormans_LFA View Post
a couple of interesting excerpts:

it's funny. people think how good a car is equates to how fast it goes from point to point b. speed doesn't count for much in the real, especially the legality of driving at excessive speeds.

my sentiments about all German cars today. I feel like the engineers are into outsmarting themselves and you more than building cars that satisfy the customer. the latter appears to be exactly the approach the guys at Toyota/Subaru took in developing this car.

good article. thanks for sharing.
It's these exact points raised that has given me faith in this car and lets me see it as a worthy successor to the AE86. I've driven several cars over the year (GTR, MX5s, 200SX's etc) But I've only ever owned an AE86, because there's always been something about it that has kept me wanting more and that's in how it drives. Every time I go from place to place, I see every road or country lane ahead of me as a fun little challenge (it sounds childish I know) that I can pit the car against without making it seem stupidly dangerous or overpowered You can keep your foot to the floor and maintain control, it's just fantastic. I'm hoping for this feeling from the GT and can't wait to take it out for a spin to see if it hits the spot.
Jezza_hr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Top speed 143mph, 0-60 in 6 sec. Are you happy now 0-60 guys?
197hp is about enough for this car. We don't really need Turbo.

0-60 6 seconds
33 mpg
2+2
~$25K

GREAT combo
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #14
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Can't believe I waited all this time just to hear...

Quote:
We will have to wait until early 2012 when the car is officially released. There will be no pricing announcement at the Auto Show.
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

More waiting... wonderful

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote