follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
q335r49

Drives: 2013 scion fr-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Front Seat Delete / Quick Release

This is a very straightforward DIY, but I thought I'd put it as there has been a lot of speculation but no documentation. The idea is to have a fully working front seat w/ airbags that can be quickly removed.

FAQs:
1. But... why?
On-demand cargo space for hardware stores, on-demand passenger space for family vacations, and a potential 39 lb weight savings. If you can't beat a Honda Odyssey, join them
2. What if I want to eventually sell the car?
Skip all the soldering bits.
3. Why do I need another set of front seat electronics?
Unplugging (or hot-wiring) either the seat belt sensor, the occupancy mat, or the occupancy control unit will throw an airbag light that, as far as I know, disables all airbags. Please let me know if you know of any ways to defeat / emulate them!
3. How long does the front seat take to remove?
About 2 minutes, since there are 4 bolts and a 5-pin plug. In a pinch, a passenger can just sit in the back. Tell them it has better leg room, and pretend you're a limo taking them to the gentleman's club for extra laughs.

You need:
- Another set of front seat electronics, i.e.:
(a) occupancy sensor control unit
(b) weight mat
(c) seat belt sensor (A seat belt sensor is needed because not connecting the old one will throw an airbag light)
- A 3.3 Ohm airbag resistor
- 4 10x1.25 double headed bolts
- 4 12-sided 10x1.25 nuts (12 sided nuts are needed in the back two bolts so that the sliding rail won't catch on them)
- 3 (2 male and 1 female) 5-pin connectors
- Soldering iron, Flux, Heat shrink tubing, etc.
- An E10 Socket to remove the front seat

Finished Result:

Steps:
1. Remove the 4 bolts holding the front seat with the E10 socket
2. Screw in the 4 m10x1.25 bolts onto the floor pan
3. Disconnect the yellow airbag harness and the grey occupancy control unit harness.
4. Construct the "fake" font seat by cutting off the grey occupancy control connector and soldering the 3 wires of the occupancy sensor harness to the 5-pin male connector.
5. Solder the 2 ends of the 3.5 Ohm airbag resistor to the last 2 pins of the 5-pin male connector.

6. Repeat the same the same with the stock front seat cutting the existing plugs and soldering everything to the 5-pin male plug
7. Repeat with the harness attached to the floor pan by cutting the plugs and soldering the 5-pin female harness to the wires.
8. Wrap the weight mat around a cardboard tube, attach it to the occupancy control unit, and throw it in the glove box

FIN
q335r49 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to q335r49 For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (04-14-2019), SkyeHack (03-28-2023)