follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List
69gtojeff, CT86, gravitylover

Old 04-21-2019, 08:43 PM   #197
Brett1024

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2013 Scion FR-S Engine Failure

Vehicle Mileage: 78,xxx
Vehicle Make: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mileage After Recall Performed: ~1000
Symptom(s): engine knocking at idle.

Failure: None aside from engine knocking. The vehicle is currently sitting at the dealer in an unknown state. Toyota corporate recommend the dealership replace the entire engine. They also requested records of regular vehicle maintenance like receipts from oil changes. I change my own oil but keep records of the date and mileage of when I change the oil. I gave that to them and a few days later Toyota corporate denied a replacement engine with no real reason given.

State: Illinois

Is Dealership Offering Repair: No. I have contacted Toyota corporate to file a complaint for this issue and am waiting on a call from the service manager of the dealership. I currently still have the loaner vehicle they provided me when the said the second repair would still be covered under the recall.

For anyone wondering the number the dealership gave me to contact Toyota was 800-331-4331.

Last edited by Brett1024; 04-22-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Brett1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:32 PM   #198
OnlyAllegedly

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Vehicle Mileage: ~64,500
Vehicle Make:2013 Scion FR-S
Mileage After Recall Performed:275
Symptom(s): oil leak on driver’s side, RTV found on dipstick when checking oil
Failure: none yet, but oil is leaking and RTV in engine oil is cause for concern
State: Texas
Is Dealership Offering Repair: TBD
OnlyAllegedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #199
kandiflippin

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Garage
Vehicle Mileage: 117,000
Vehicle Make: Subaru
Mileage After Recall Performed: 1,600
Symptom(s): Lower than normal oil pressure
Failure: TBD (rod knock and engine wont start)
State: WI
Is Dealership Offering Repair: TBD
kandiflippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 10:20 PM   #200
HugoFRS6AT

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6AT
Vehicle Mileage:58,000
Vehicle Make: Scion FRS
Mileage After Recall Performed:~2,000
Symptom(s): Engine knocking
Failure:TBD
State:CA
Is Dealership Offering Repair:Not at the moment.
HugoFRS6AT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:28 PM   #201
Gunman

Drives: 2019 Mazda Miata RF
Thanked 1,317 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Not all of these are on the spreadsheet...anyone keeping tabs on the body count?

Post recall "issues" spreadsheet
Gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gunman For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #202
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Have another local who is awaiting his account to be active. Linked him to the spreadsheet though so hopefully he updates it. Possible knock 3k miles after recall

Edit: he updated

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David

Last edited by finch1750; 04-23-2019 at 01:13 PM.
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #203
kri$han

Drives: 2012 Scion FR-S
Just died on me today
Located in Canada, all stats in km
Vehicle Mileage:119xxx
Vehicle Make: Fr-S
Mileage After Recall Performed: ~7xxx
Symptom(s): started as a slight tick, varied with RPM and only under load. By the end of a 50km commute, engine had a loud knocking noise, and shut down once I pulled off the highway.
Failure: So far unknown, sounds like a rod bearing based on experience.
State: Ontario, Canada
Is Dealership Offering Repair: Yes; although unconfirmed at this point, the service manager anticipates a new short block to be provided by Toyota Canada, and the dealership will reassemble the motor with the new bottom end.

I am concerned that the same dealership that screwed this up the first time is getting a second chance at assembling this motor properly.

**Update: Dealer will have the car for an additional two weeks. New short block on the way, and they will reassemble the motor. Service manager assured me that they have new direction on how to apply the sealant to the timing cover, with a template that they received from Toyota Canada (hopefully from the assembly plant floor). In the mean time I'll get to enjoy this bright blue corolla hatch for two more weeks :ugh:

I’ll update this post as this develops.

Last edited by kri$han; 05-08-2019 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Updates
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kri$han For This Useful Post:
HlfpriceWngs (04-26-2019), humfrz (04-25-2019), Tcoat (04-26-2019), Turbo (05-05-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 11:12 AM   #204
NickCarmer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Vehicle Mileage:104,xxx
Vehicle Make: Subaru BRZ
Mileage After Recall Performed:<4,000
Symptom(s): Engine knocking, loud grinding/ticking, died
State:MA

Mine died last night on the highway. I had the recall work done exactly 2 months ago, along with a new clutch and spark plugs since they were already in there. It took them 3 weeks to do the work, when I got it back the car felt fine, but I kept it under 5K RPMS for the past 3500-4000 miles.

Brought it up to 5.5/6.5K yesterday when merging and almost immediately the usual whirr turned into a horrible grind. Felt like the drain plug fell out. The oil light came on, then check engine, then every other code. Put it in neutral and coasted to the shoulder, smelled like burnt oil and had intermittent smoke coming out once the oil cap was removed.

It currently won't turn over so I'm doing some research before taking it back to the dealer that did the recall work.

Last edited by NickCarmer; 04-29-2019 at 11:41 AM.
NickCarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #205
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarmer View Post
Mileage After Recall Performed:>4,000

Mine died last night on the highway. I had the recall work done exactly 2 months ago, along with a new clutch and spark plugs since they were already in there. It took them 3 weeks to do the work, when I got it back the car felt fine, but I kept it under 5K RPMS for the past 3500-4000 miles.

Brought it up to 5.5/6.5K yesterday when merging and almost immediately the usual whirr turned into a horrible grind. Felt like the drain plug fell out. The oil light came on, then check engine, then every other code. Put it in neutral and coasted to the shoulder, smelled like burnt oil and had intermittent smoke coming out once the oil cap was removed.

It currently won't turn over so I'm doing some research before taking it back to the dealer that did the recall work.
No research to be done. It starved for oil and you spun at least one bearing.
Gunman (04-26-2019), humfrz (04-26-2019), maslin (04-26-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #206
DirectorBrandx

Drives: 13FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORrooster View Post
Sounds like Toyota Corp.is about to take a giant shit on that dealer. They'll have every pencil pushing penny pincher in there for a Major Audit going over every repair order and debiting any claim without every i dotted and t crossed for ALL WARRANTY CLAIMS after the Field Techs. get done with the Service side of things.

If that 'technician' there doing those jobs has half a brain... he already quit. If he doesn't, the GM and Service Manager (if he's not fired as well) will be showing him the way soon after they pay the $?XX,XXX.oo bill to 'Yota I'd wager.

I have received my FR-s back with a new short block, along with a few other new parts surrounding it to complete the job. The car was with them for over a month, mostly because they had Toyota Corporate guys come out at least twice, that I know of.

I was glad to get this work done without any cost to me. I am satisfied with how they handled this for me. I wish this were the case with everyone, but that's unrealistic.

We are going back and forth with them because there is still a little oil leak. I'm finding a puddle on my driveway about the circumference of a baseball each morning. They are looking into this, as well, without cost.
DirectorBrandx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DirectorBrandx For This Useful Post:
daftpunk (07-18-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 07:49 AM   #207
DirectorBrandx

Mileage: ~70,000
Make: 2013 FR-S
Mileage after recall: ~1200
Problems after fix: (see below)

I have received my FR-S back with a new short block, along with a few other new parts surrounding it to complete the job. The car was with them for over a month, mostly because they had Toyota Corporate guys come out at least twice, that I know of.

I was glad to get this work done without any cost to me. I am satisfied with how they handled this for me. I wish this were the case with everyone, but that's unrealistic.

We are going back and forth with them because there is still a little oil leak. I'm finding a puddle on my driveway about the circumference of a baseball each morning. They are looking into this, as well, without cost.

**I don't know what came of the other three FR-S cars that were at the shop. But I hear that one of them was turned away because the owner slacked off on maintaining it properly and his oil changes were way overdue. Corporate apparently denied his him/her any repairs.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:53 AM   #208
DirectorBrandx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
Four failures sitting at the same dealership at one time? If that doesn't say this recall is a F-up, not sure what does.
To BRZNut...

Mileage: ~70,000
Make: 2013 FR-S
Mileage after recall: ~1200
Problems after fix: (see below)

I have received my FR-S back with a new short block, along with a few other new parts surrounding it to complete the job. The car was with them for over a month, mostly because they had Toyota Corporate guys come out at least twice, that I know of.

**I don't know what came of the other three FR-S cars that were at the shop. But I hear that one of them was turned away because the owner slacked off on maintaining it properly and his oil changes were way overdue. Corporate apparently denied his him/her any repairs.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #209
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCarmer View Post
Mileage After Recall Performed:>4,000

Mind if I ask what dealership did the work? I'm pretty sure I'm going to skip the recall, but in case I decide to do it for what ever reason, it'd be nice to use a dealership with a successful track record..
Old 04-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #210
NickCarmer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Mind if I ask what dealership did the work? I'm pretty sure I'm going to skip the recall, but in case I decide to do it for what ever reason, it'd be nice to use a dealership with a successful track record..
It was Ira Suabru in Danvers, MA. Great rep and no issue with the clutch they put in, but it's only been a few thousand mile
NickCarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NickCarmer For This Useful Post:
venturaII (04-28-2019)

Tags
fa20, failure, recall, spun bearing, subaru, toyota, valve spring