follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2018, 12:34 AM   #1
Exrald

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS & 2022 GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clutch Shudder

Hey guys!

So I just changed my clutch to Competition Clutch Stage 3 Segmented Ceramic Clutch Kit. I initially wanted stage 2, but 86speed had to bump me up due to inventory issues. When I was inquiring about the stage 3, they said it would be similar to stage two. Knowing that it will be an aggressive clutch, I took the bite, and went ahead to get the Stage 3.

So after 600-800 miles of break-in period, I started to feel the clutch shudders (I think that's what it's called). The whole car would shake, as the clutch tries to grab in. It's like it's about to stall, but not stalling. Sometimes I have to go to 2500-3000 rpms to lessen the effect.

Is there another way to lessen the shudder? My other mods are basic bolt ons: intake, exhaust, OFT Stage 1 tune. I know it won't go away since it's an aggressive clutch. And would it break/affect other components of the car?

Thanks in advance!!!

2013 Scion FRS @Exrald.frs
Exrald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:40 AM   #2
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,512 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Replace it with a new stock clutch because you aren't producing near enough torque to require anything more.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:43 AM   #3
Exrald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Replace it with a new stock clutch because you aren't producing near enough torque to require anything more.
I'm planning to get a super charger in the near future, that's why I wanted to get stage two. I just needed a new clutch so bad. that's why I wanted to do it now, than later

So it should lessen when I get more torque?

And thanks for the response @Ultramaroon!!!

2013 Scion FRS:
TOM'S Tail lights // Raceseng Ashiko Weighted Shift Knob // TEIN Flex Z Coilovers // ARK Grip Exhaust // PERRIN Cold Air Intake // EBC Stage 5 Slotted Rotors //EBC Yellow Stuff Brakes // CWest Lip Kit //WEDSSPORTS Wheels // J's Racing X Teramoto T-Rev // Open Flash Tablet // Competition Clutch Stage 3 //Verus Clutch Fork and Billet //Cusco GT Wing // Tomei UEL Header
Old 01-27-2018, 01:05 AM   #4
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exrald View Post
I'm planning to get a super charger in the near future, that's why I wanted to get stage two. I just needed a new clutch so bad. that's why I wanted to do it now, than later

So it should lessen when I get more torque?

And thanks for the response @Ultramaroon!!!

2013 Scion FRS:
TOM'S Tail lights // Raceseng Ashiko Weighted Shift Knob // TEIN Flex Z Coilovers // ARK Grip Exhaust // PERRIN Cold Air Intake // EBC Stage 5 Slotted Rotors //EBC Yellow Stuff Brakes // CWest Lip Kit //WEDSSPORTS Wheels // J's Racing X Teramoto T-Rev // Open Flash Tablet // Competition Clutch Stage 3 //Verus Clutch Fork and Billet //Cusco GT Wing // Tomei UEL Header
Unfortunately, no. The chatter is a combination of clutch type, and driveline backlash.

I get it, though. At least go back to a full-face single disc. That chatter is super bad for the transmission over time.

Another point regarding higher holding torque. The stock clutch was spec'd with the strength of the transmission in mind. It's meant to protect it.

I still recommend staying stock until you know for sure it won't hold. You can drive with a sub-par clutch for quite a while. I did on my 240Z. Just nursed it in 4th and 5th until I had time to swap it.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:10 AM   #5
Exrald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Unfortunately, no. The chatter is a combination of clutch type, and driveline backlash.

I get it, though. At least go back to a full-face single disc. That chatter is super bad for the transmission over time.

Another point regarding higher holding torque. The stock clutch was spec'd with the strength of the transmission in mind. It's meant to protect it.

I still recommend staying stock until you know for sure it won't hold. You can drive with a sub-par clutch for quite a while. I did on my 240Z. Just nursed it in 4th and 5th until I had time to swap it.
I hope I don't ruin my tranny. I'll just try to slip it. If it burns out, then I'll switch.

Thank you so much Ultramaroon!

2013 Scion FRS:
The Following User Says Thank You to Exrald For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 12:21 AM   #6
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
I hope I don't ruin my tranny. I'll just try to slip it. If it burns out, then I'll switch.

No worries!

Also keep in mind that the ceramic pucks will wear more quickly than the oem organic material. Good luck with it.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:17 AM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

2013 Scion FRS:
I might suggest, instead of slipping it to go easier on the drivetrain, just let the clutch get fully engaged, before you mash down on the gas .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Exrald (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 01:26 AM   #8
Exrald

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I might suggest, instead of slipping it to go easier on the drivetrain, just let the clutch get fully engaged, before you mash down on the gas .....

humfrz
Hey Humfrz! Long time no talk!

I tried. But it causes a shakier/shudder engagement. I was driving around today, and have been babying it. I think I'm starting to get used to the new engagement and gas feed.

Hopefully, it doesn't break anything lol

2013 Scion FRS:
Old 01-28-2018, 01:46 AM   #9
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey Humfrz! Long time no talk!

I tried. But it causes a shakier/shudder engagement. I was driving around today, and have been babying it. I think I'm starting to get used to the new engagement and gas feed.

Hopefully, it doesn't break anything lol
How ya been ..??

That's got to be aggravating ......

Here is what Bubba suggests (since the clutch people upsold you to a too hairy of a clutch).

Order a new OEM clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, TOB and aftermarket clutch fork. After all the parts come in, follow this DIY:

Then send the burnt up clutch (under warranty) back for a full refund.

Install OEM stuff.

When and if you go FI, just don't drop the clutch or do burnouts .....

humfrz for Bubba
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Exrald (01-28-2018)
Old 01-28-2018, 02:01 AM   #10
Exrald

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
How ya been ..??

That's got to be aggravating ......

Here is what Bubba suggests (since the clutch people upsold you to a too hairy of a clutch).

Order a new OEM clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, TOB and aftermarket clutch fork. After all the parts come in, follow this DIY:

Then send the burnt up clutch (under warranty) back for a full refund.

Install OEM stuff.

When and if you go FI, just don't drop the clutch or do burnouts .....

humfrz for Bubba
I've been good. I hope you're doing good as well!!!😀

Omg. I would trip out if I was the guy driving. But if that will help me get a full refund of the clutch I bought, I might.

Lol JK. My "nice side" would stop me from doing it. 😁

2013 Scion FRS:
The Following User Says Thank You to Exrald For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-28-2018)