follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2019, 04:47 PM   #29
becausethexo

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015 Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
$180+tax labour to replace pads+rotors.
I asked him since it's all off already if replacing calipers would be included, guess not
"The calipers will require some additional time, with bleeding the brake system it will be an additional $112.50+tax".

Guess there's no advantage to doing it all at once after all then.
becausethexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #30
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by becausethexo View Post
I asked him since it's all off already if replacing calipers would be included, guess not
"The calipers will require some additional time, with bleeding the brake system it will be an additional $112.50+tax".

Calipers are also like $250 each and aren't a wear item... zero reason to replace them unless something has failed on one, and then you'd still only replace the one that was failed.

IMO, unless you just want to go to the dealership and pay the premium I'd find a friend or other shop that'll actually tell you what needs replacing and what is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #31
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

DANG, becausethexo , are you reading what we are saying? -

Since you don't seem to be comprehending, I suggest you follow ol @wparsons advice and go to an independent brake shop for a brake inspection and have done what they suggest.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:11 PM   #32
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Holy crap...

Canadian cars didn't have the option of solid rear rotors, so unless you imported it from Australia (or somewhere else that got the low spec models), you have vented rotors all around.

I just paid ~$250cdn for all 4 rotors, if you're paying $130/rotor you're paying way too much. Don't waste your money on fancier rotors, stainless lines, etc.

I'd bet a lot that all the car needs is front pads. If it doesn't see track or autox time at all you're probably not hard on the rotors, and the rear pads wear much slower under any circumstances (unless you constantly use VSC to keep the car going in a straight line).

Are the fronts making a squealing noise if you just super lightly press on the brake pedal? If not, then you have way more life left than you think.

I'd offer to help look at it for you (and swap whatever parts are needed), but I won't have free time on weekends until August.

These are quality rotors, and stand up to track use just fine. Way cheaper than stock and every bit as good.
Front rotors: https://www.ft86motorsports.com/cent...tor-front.html
Rear rotors: https://www.ft86motorsports.com/cent...ake-rotor.html

For pads, just get stock ones unless these end up being cheaper:
Front: https://www.ft86motorsports.com/brak...rake-pads.html
Rear: https://www.ft86motorsports.com/brak...-fr-s-brz.html
in the pics he posted, the rear rotors definitely have a lip to the edges, indicating some amount of wear. though it's impossible to make out how deep that lip is, which is why others recommended that the thickness be checked before outright replacement. more than likely they're fine

also, any shop is going to have markup on items. most importantly, this means that if anything were to go wrong, the shop would be fully responsible for the parts that they supplied. while the risk of bad parts is generally low from any source, they do happen, and for someone like the OP, who isn't extremely mechanically inclined, that extra cost is likely money well spent for warranty if anything were to go wrong.

it's always important to not only look at the raw cost, but also what a slightly higher cost gets you--not everything that costs more is a ripoff. in this case, the extra cost is due to shifting the liability from the vehicle owner supplying the parts to the repair shop.

i say $130 each for rotors and pads isn't too bad.
Spuds (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:17 PM   #33
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
When I do brake work myself, I always replace the rotors and pads together. In the grand scheme of things, rotors are relatively cheap, especially compared to my time and hatred of doing brake work. Plus, I have no way to machine rotors and putting new pads on worn rotors will just wear out the new pads faster.

If you have a shop do the work and they're comfortable machining the rotors, then changing the rotors every second pad change works fine.

To reiterate, just in case it needs saying again... CALIPERS are not really wear items. Replace them if they are sticking or leaking (or rebuild them if you're cheap and like frustration), otherwise just clean'em up, make sure you lube any guides/slide pins, and forget about'em.
Leonardo (06-25-2019), soundman98 (06-24-2019), Spuds (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 AM   #34
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:

Upfront edit:. Ignore me, I missed the "+tax labour" in the quoted post. Probably because it's spelled wrong.

Is it just me or do those prices seem rather low. I don't live in Canada, but the cheapest pads and rotors I could find on rockauto came out to about $110 US plus tax and shipping. Distribution costs money plus mark-up, and that doesn't include fluid yet. I suppose with labor $180 is possible, but the brakes probably won't feel the same with economy-grade parts. The dealership would use original equipment parts.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:17 AM   #35
BigTuna

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
From the pictures, I'd replace pads, and rotors.

If you have a local mechanic, or even a friend who is mechanically inclined, just buy these and ask him to put them on. $130 for all the parts you need, just doesn't include labor.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...504002&jsn=384

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=383&jsn=383
Old 06-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #36
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Upfront edit:. Ignore me, I missed the "+tax labour" in the quoted post. Probably because it's spelled wrong.

Is it just me or do those prices seem rather low. I don't live in Canada, but the cheapest pads and rotors I could find on rockauto came out to about $110 US plus tax and shipping. Distribution costs money plus mark-up, and that doesn't include fluid yet. I suppose with labor $180 is possible, but the brakes probably won't feel the same with economy-grade parts. The dealership would use original equipment parts.

I think you caught it, but the $180 is just the labour, before tax. Parts for just the rotors was over $500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
From the pictures, I'd replace pads, and rotors.

If you have a local mechanic, or even a friend who is mechanically inclined, just buy these and ask him to put them on. $130 for all the parts you need, just doesn't include labor.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...504002&jsn=384

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=383&jsn=383

Rockauto isn't worth it up here unless you're driving across the border to pick it up. I was going to order my rotors from there but shipping was over $100cdn just for the 4 rotors. When I added calipers it was like $250 in shipping.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Spuds (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:40 AM   #37
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
in the pics he posted, the rear rotors definitely have a lip to the edges, indicating some amount of wear. though it's impossible to make out how deep that lip is, which is why others recommended that the thickness be checked before outright replacement. more than likely they're fine

also, any shop is going to have markup on items. most importantly, this means that if anything were to go wrong, the shop would be fully responsible for the parts that they supplied. while the risk of bad parts is generally low from any source, they do happen, and for someone like the OP, who isn't extremely mechanically inclined, that extra cost is likely money well spent for warranty if anything were to go wrong.

it's always important to not only look at the raw cost, but also what a slightly higher cost gets you--not everything that costs more is a ripoff. in this case, the extra cost is due to shifting the liability from the vehicle owner supplying the parts to the repair shop.

i say $130 each for rotors and pads isn't too bad.
The lip might just be surface rust growing from the edge, not necessarily worn down. It's a Canadian car that looks like it has been winter driven. That's why I suggested having someone else look at it.

I've overheard first hand many times a service advisor telling a customer over the phone that their car needs a full brake job before the car has even been pulled into a bay or put on a hoist. The best one was when the service advisor was asked by the technician if he wanted him to pull it in to check and he said "nah, we'll just tell them it needs pads and rotors all around". My mom was also told by a dealership that her car needed new pads and rotors all around when there was a rock stuck in the dust shield. The written estimate even states that replacing the REAR rotors is required to stop a noise from the front left wheel.

If you read what I said in a later post, it's to have it checkout out by someone else before throwing $1000+ at it unless he just wants to pay the dealership premium for peace of mind.

It's $130 each rotor (before tax), not rotors and pads. My front rotors were ~$70 each and rears were ~$40 each. 140% markup isn't a little bit.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #38
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
The lip might just be surface rust growing from the edge, not necessarily worn down. It's a Canadian car that looks like it has been winter driven. That's why I suggested having someone else look at it.

I've overheard first hand many times a service advisor telling a customer over the phone that their car needs a full brake job before the car has even been pulled into a bay or put on a hoist. The best one was when the service advisor was asked by the technician if he wanted him to pull it in to check and he said "nah, we'll just tell them it needs pads and rotors all around". My mom was also told by a dealership that her car needed new pads and rotors all around when there was a rock stuck in the dust shield. The written estimate even states that replacing the REAR rotors is required to stop a noise from the front left wheel.

If you read what I said in a later post, it's to have it checkout out by someone else before throwing $1000+ at it unless he just wants to pay the dealership premium for peace of mind.

It's $130 each rotor (before tax), not rotors and pads. My front rotors were ~$70 each and rears were ~$40 each. 140% markup isn't a little bit.
A dealership might recommend these things without looking at the vehicle based on kms and recommended service intervals which I'm fine with but where I take issue is when they say its needed. I'm glad my own dealership doesn't try this stuff with me.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
wparsons (06-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 06:46 PM   #39
becausethexo

So I got the new pads & rotors put on, the ones from ft86motorsports

I really thought replacing them (especially the pads) would resolve an issue I was having for the past few months when I would slow/stop at under 5km/h. It makes this sound:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1xvYaRSaLZK

It's actually much louder in person, and I can even make it start to squeak if I really try and take my foot off the brake pedal or put it on the pedal very slowly. It's worse in rain.

It only happens again, when I'm braking under 5km/h at very very slow speed, almost not even moving. Almost any time I take my foot off or put it on the pedal.

Did the people that installed them miss something? I shall mention they inaccurately quoted me ($180+tax) and then when I got me told me that was PER axle, so I compromised and did 180+another 40 out of my pocket, thus getting a "deal".

Any suggestions on how I should proceed before I bring it back to them Tuesday?
Old 07-25-2019, 11:07 PM   #40
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, bed in your brakes.............................
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #41
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
So I got the new pads & rotors put on, the ones from ft86motorsports

I really thought replacing them (especially the pads) would resolve an issue I was having for the past few months when I would slow/stop at under 5km/h. It makes this sound:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1xvYaRSaLZK

It's actually much louder in person, and I can even make it start to squeak if I really try and take my foot off the brake pedal or put it on the pedal very slowly. It's worse in rain.

It only happens again, when I'm braking under 5km/h at very very slow speed, almost not even moving. Almost any time I take my foot off or put it on the pedal.

Did the people that installed them miss something? I shall mention they inaccurately quoted me ($180+tax) and then when I got me told me that was PER axle, so I compromised and did 180+another 40 out of my pocket, thus getting a "deal".

Any suggestions on how I should proceed before I bring it back to them Tuesday?

Is the car an automatic? What noise exactly are you talking about in the video? The thumps, or the slight buzz?
Old 07-30-2019, 05:23 PM   #42
becausethexo

After bringing it back from the mechanic shop (reputable place), they said there's "too much space" and something about the brake pads not making contact properly.. which is what is causing this, yadda yadda. Now remember, I went to them telling them that the noise started after they installed the pads/rotors. The issue I was having (thumping sound like in the video) was happening even before they installed these pads/rotors, and continued happening after. So, no difference. Making them believe it started happening only after they installed the new stuff.. I was hoping they'd do a quick fix to the actual problem, instead they tried telling me it's these pads! I left very quickly lol. Can't Trust Anybody!

Now I'm back to square one not sure what to do or where to go , didn't trust mechanics before this..

TL;DR:
Thumping brake issue old pads/rotors when coming to full stop/release off pedal --> Replace old pads/rotors --> Still hear sound, but leave out the part that it was happening before the replacement implying new pads/rotors is causing it (but they're mechanics, they should know what's working and not working) --> them confirming they're dishonest or don't diagnose properly or make assumptions and tell me I need to put on different pads even though it was happening before these pads...

Last edited by becausethexo; 07-30-2019 at 05:46 PM.