follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
Znu

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S A/T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Front Swaybar Help!

Hi guys, I recently put on some Tein flex z coilovers and found out that one of my front sway bar end links is pretty much done for and my sway bar is knocking when I make sharp turns. I was wondering what would be the best plan of action; replacing one sway bar end link, replacing both, or replacing the whole sway bar. This is on a daily driven 2013 frs at 91k miles (dunno if that is a factor to consider or not lol). I do some spirited driving in canyons and how to track the car once I get the suspension all dialed in.

Also, what effect would thicker front sway bars have on the Ride quality??

Thanks in advance!

-josh.
Znu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Replace both! For now, I'd disconnect the endlinks from the swaybar. The car will drive a little softer over bumps and have a bit more lean in turning, that's all.

Larger swaybars mean less body roll in corners, but that also means stress applied to only one wheel is shared more strongly with the other. At a point, this means less grip on your inside tire in a corner because it can't react independently.

Tl;Dr - buy new endlinks and leave the swaybar alone.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-30-2019), Znu (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I got a set of adjustable swaybars endlinks from whiteline that could work if you want em.
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:30 PM   #4
Znu

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S A/T
Hi pirate, do you mean to just disconnect the sway bar until I replace the end links?
And clutch, what is the purpose of adjustable end links?

Sorry guys I’m a total noob to this! Hahaha
Znu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:44 PM   #5
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
Your question is hard to answer without more information than you have provided. You have a faulty part. The sensible answer is to replace the faulty part. No need to replace the other end link if it is fine. Getting a new sway bar is not going to fix your noise if it is only being caused by an individual end link. A new sway bar could be a good idea for other reasons though.

Sway bars don't really effect ride quality in a straight line much. They do a little bit but not to a significant extent. That is the point of using a sway bar instead of stiffer springs. The sway bar stiffens the outside corner in a turn without making the car stiffer in a straight line.
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help!, suspension, swaybars, tein flex-z