follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 07-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #5013
milanojess

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Make sure the bypass valve is in an inverted T position. You will hear some noise as valve opens and pressure getting bled
Old 07-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #5014
steved

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milanojess View Post
Make sure the bypass valve is in an inverted T position. You will hear some noise as valve opens and pressure getting bled
Yep, nipple is pointed towards the drivers side fender.

I do hear a consistent whistle at idle, and can hear the pressure release when I let off the throttle. Mostly it's a solid blowoff valveish sound on upshift. Mostly if I'm letting the engine compression slow me down I hear the flutter.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:47 PM   #5015
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches View Post
Finally got my car back, was on the dyno last night.

340 whp, 250 tq @ 10.2 PSI
Ambient: 90, 75% humidity
C38 + HBP
1,200 cc injectors, E-72
Nameless headerback

Nice! Is this on a stock block?
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #5016
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC-BRZ View Post
Nice! Is this on a stock block?
Yes, Jackson Racing support assured me the stock block would hold with this setup (all depending on a good tune, which I have been told is still conservative)
peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peaches For This Useful Post:
WC-BRZ (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 05:25 AM   #5017
WC-BRZ

Drives: Black BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, Jackson Racing support assured me the stock block would hold with this setup (all depending on a good tune, which I have been told is still conservative)
Wow, did not expect something like that from a company. I mean, it's nice they said that but it's quite a bold assurance to give out like that.

I thought the C38 was a larger unit than the C30 and so with HBP the C38 (w/ E85) generally gets to high 300's...or perhaps I'm mistaken?

I thought the smaller C30 with HBP plus E85 ends up in low to mid-300s?

When you say "Nameless header back" does that mean the actual header is still stock? Or does that mean you have the nameless header along with the rest of their exhaust...I never knew nameless had a header for our cars - I thought it was an exhaust only.

Driving thoughts and overall feedback post-install? Any regrets at all? Unexpected surprises?
WC-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #5018
peaches

Quote:
Wow, did not expect something like that from a company. I mean, it's nice they said that but it's quite a bold assurance to give out like that.

I thought the C38 was a larger unit than the C30 and so with HBP the C38 (w/ E85) generally gets to high 300's...or perhaps I'm mistaken?

I thought the smaller C30 with HBP plus E85 ends up in low to mid-300s?

When you say "Nameless header back" does that mean the actual header is still stock? Or does that mean you have the nameless header along with the rest of their exhaust...I never knew nameless had a header for our cars - I thought it was an exhaust only.
The assurance comes from them having run a car with a stock block, C38, HBP, and E-85. It's all about the tune, which they don't provide so it's not like they'd fix my engine if it blows. I bought this kit used, so I don't have a warranty anyway.

After reading threads on the forum, I was expecting somewhere between 320 and 350. Given the conditions during the dyno time it's a great result, he was tuning a Z06 with headers at the same time and that car was down 60 whp compared to a run in March. South FL in the summer is not a good place for a boosted car. The HBP is supposed to provide 12PSI (or something close, don't know exactly) but at the dyno it only made 10.2 PSI, I was told that during street tuning it made 11 one night when it was cooler. Under better conditions, the number will be higher but I'm more interested in having the engine run properly when I run it hard.

The master tuner that did my NA tune never responded to my emails or calls, so I had to find a new one. This guy has good feedback so I gave him the car, I asked for a track tune so he said he didn't go for absolute max power in order to allow the engine to survive abuse on the track.

Nameless had a header for our cars, they no longer produce it. It was made for NA power, some people loved it but not sure why they stopped. I haven't seen a true comparison with ACE headers, but I would assume you can get more power with an ACE. My full exhaust is from Nameless:

- long tube header, ceramic coated
- 3" downpipe\overpipe combo with high flow cat and hemlholtz resonator
- 3" catback with dual 5" mufflers

Last edited by peaches; 07-14-2019 at 08:36 AM.
WC-BRZ (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 08:32 AM   #5019
peaches

Quote:
Driving thoughts and overall feedback post-install? Any regrets at all? Unexpected surprises?
Thoughts? It's my first supercharged car (I've had turbo cars before), given the small displacement I have to drive it differently to put a proper load on the engine when driving in the city. Not a drawback, just something I have to get used to. So far it drives great, haven't been able to really open her up because the rear tires are rubbing a bit, need to roll the fenders. I had him install a StopTech BBK front and rear and had to use spacers so the fitment is a bit off (no budget to change wheels right now). I'm going to Daytona Aug 1 so I'll get a better feel then, I was there prior to the install so it'll be a good comparison.

Regrets? Yes, I used 1,200cc injectors instead of 900cc. They dump too much fuel sometimes, especially when it's on 93 (I'm flexfuel). Starting up the car on 93 is a pain, but it works. I know someone selling a 2.3L FA20, using that would make the 1,200cc injectors worth it but my bank account and I are not on speaking terms right now.

Unexpected surprises? I know things get hot, but not this hot. Apparently, it's normal so I'm not that worried. I need to change my tires as they're a bit old and starting to get hard, after that I'll look into louvers or a CF hood. The header running into the engine bay doesn't help, even if it's ceramic coated but my budget didn't allow for an exhaust replacement. I bet it'll make more power if I get an ACE header and a different exhaust, but that'll be pushing the stock block so given the results I'm not sure I'll do that unless the engine is built or I manage to get that 2.3L...

Overall I'm very pleased, just have to be patient to go back to Daytona and PittRace on labor day weekend, then we'll see what she can do. I'll see if NASA has another Sebring event in the winter, that'll be interesting as temps were in the 60s last time.

Last edited by peaches; 07-14-2019 at 08:57 AM. Reason: added images
WC-BRZ (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 09:37 AM   #5020
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Thoughts? It's my first supercharged car (I've had turbo cars before), given the small displacement I have to drive it differently to put a proper load on the engine when driving in the city. Not a drawback, just something I have to get used to. So far it drives great, haven't been able to really open her up because the rear tires are rubbing a bit, need to roll the fenders. I had him install a StopTech BBK front and rear and had to use spacers so the fitment is a bit off (no budget to change wheels right now). I'm going to Daytona Aug 1 so I'll get a better feel then, I was there prior to the install so it'll be a good comparison.

Regrets? Yes, I used 1,200cc injectors instead of 900cc. They dump too much fuel sometimes, especially when it's on 93 (I'm flexfuel). Starting up the car on 93 is a pain, but it works. I know someone selling a 2.3L FA20, using that would make the 1,200cc injectors worth it but my bank account and I are not on speaking terms right now.

Unexpected surprises? I know things get hot, but not this hot. Apparently, it's normal so I'm not that worried. I need to change my tires as they're a bit old and starting to get hard, after that I'll look into louvers or a CF hood. The header running into the engine bay doesn't help, even if it's ceramic coated but my budget didn't allow for an exhaust replacement. I bet it'll make more power if I get an ACE header and a different exhaust, but that'll be pushing the stock block so given the results I'm not sure I'll do that unless the engine is built or I manage to get that 2.3L...

From where are you getting the 2.3l and for how much? Been looking at going down that path someday.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #5021
peaches

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
From where are you getting the 2.3l and for how much? Been looking at going down that path someday.
Last time I talked to @celek he was selling the 2.3 short block for $7k, if he sold it he can build you another one. Technically it's 2.27
Old 07-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #5022
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Last time I talked to @celek he was selling the 2.3 short block for $7k, if he sold it he can build you another one. Technically it's 2.27
Ah yeah I saw that, but it’s even higher then stock compression I believe. I think it was 13:1. The hks 2.1L with cams did wonders with the hks supercharger. Wonder what a 2.3L with cams would do.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #5023
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
How common is it for this kit to eat a belt? I've been thinking about ordering a spare to keep in the car—especially for track days.
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #5024
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfp View Post
Was that power measured to the crank or wheel?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Wheel -- I'll get a dynosheet posted once I get back in town.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #5025
J1Avs

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
@J1Avs

naturally aspirated dyno of an Ace A350 against another "big peak power" header.

The area under the curve is where it really shines; up top, NA, it's choked like any other well flowing header, by the engine itself. The dip on the orange line seems to be an anomaly on this specific graph.

Here's another set of dynos with just Ace header vs stock.

I don't doubt where it shines at all -- was speaking specifically peak w/ JRSC. I don't see it gaining much on the peak number...perhaps across the middle of the powerband, but my current lines are pretty smooth all around -- definitely no complaints -- I need to get my dyno sheet posted.

To be fair also, I have PTuning tuning my PTuning header and JRSC, so having the tuner who designed the header also tuning my car with it definitely makes a bit of a difference there. Similar to how you'll get the best result with the A350 when working with Delicious because of the amount of time they put into mastering it.
J1Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:14 PM   #5026
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
How common is it for this kit to eat a belt? I've been thinking about ordering a spare to keep in the car—especially for track days.
Unless you really botch a shift, not common at all.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
mistople (07-15-2019)