follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
Mehrshad
GT86PersianClub

Drives: 2014 Crystal Black Silica GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Transmission revving when changing gear

Hi guys
I have a stock 2014 Toyota GT86 with an automatic transmission, and 27,000 KM’s on it,
1000km ago i noticed that when i change gear,it revvs between the gear changes when its cold,i went to a mechanic and he said that my fluid is low and he changed my transmission oil,he put 9Liters fluid ,and then it was worst than before,so i went back and he said we put too much fluid in it,and they drained some ,now sometimes i have the revving and sometimes not,can anyone help me about my problem please?
You can see the revving thing in this video:
Mehrshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
خوش آمد
Mehrshad, I found it difficult to listen through the music. May we hear it by itself? For now I'll guess it's slow to pump fluid for some reason. Too low, overfilled? maybe. I don't have much firsthand experience with over/under fills in transmissions.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 11-05-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Competent mechanic should know how much specific car/transmission needs and of which type fluid and how to check level or to what indicate to fill, and while there is possibility that for whatever reason it might get low, fact that he overfilled it later on would make me suspicious of that mechanic and of that shop. That all should be there in servicing manuals by manufacturer, not left to guessing game by hunch.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:11 AM   #4
Mehrshad
GT86PersianClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
خوش آمد
Mehrshad, I found it difficult to listen through the music. May we hear it by itself? For now I'll guess it's slow to pump fluid for some reason. Too low, overfilled? maybe. I don't have much firsthand experience with over/under fills in transmissions.
Thank you for the خوش آمد
I dont know whats the reason! I dont have this all the time! It comes and it disappears by it self! I dont feel anything else wrong with the gearbox,it comes when im +7000 rpm when changing gear on M and on D with sport ,and he put the fluid that toyota said in the service manual
On the video i shared you can here it in 0:10 when chaanging second gear to third,it on D with sport on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mehrshad For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 04:15 AM   #5
Mehrshad
GT86PersianClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Competent mechanic should know how much specific car/transmission needs and of which type fluid and how to check level or to what indicate to fill, and while there is possibility that for whatever reason it might get low, fact that he overfilled it later on would make me suspicious of that mechanic and of that shop. That all should be there in servicing manuals by manufacturer, not left to guessing game by hunch.
In the service manual i read we should put 7,5 liters fluid in it,the mechanic went under the car and told me tu put the gearbox in D and R, and he checked the level and said its ok,it was ok at the time but now its back, i dont know should i change the oil another time some where else or not, one of my friends got this problem after changing his oil,and he changed it another time somewhere else and the problem was fully gone!
Old 11-06-2017, 06:55 AM   #6
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My guess it may also matter if old fluid was drained completely, thus different amounts needed to be filled for right level, if car itself was level where fluid change took place, and how it was marked in docs to gauge filled fluid level. And who knows, maybe also how long it was from when car was driven. Though i expect most of that being mentioned in docs, just like "fill X air pressure in tires, when cold". Your case is about AT, but i recall similar stories about MT, where overfilled worsened shift feel as much as underfilled, and only way to gauge right amount was if car was level, till filler hole.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehrshad View Post
In the service manual i read we should put 7,5 liters fluid in it,the mechanic went under the car and told me tu put the gearbox in D and R, and he checked the level and said its ok,it was ok at the time but now its back, i dont know should i change the oil another time some where else or not, one of my friends got this problem after changing his oil,and he changed it another time somewhere else and the problem was fully gone!
Start by reading this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24228

It looks like you just need to get the fluid level correct...assuming your mechanic used the correct transmission fluid.

The automatic transmission fluid change isn't a simple dump and fill. There's a specific procedure that needs to be followed to ensure as much of the old fluid is purged from the system (the torque converter hold much of the fluid) and that the correct amount is put back in. Being slightly over or under filled will give you shifting issues, guaranteed.

Here are some key points when doing the fluid change:

The vehicle needs to be level during this procedure.
The transmission fluid needs to be at the proper temperature (temp range and how to verify is listed in the service manual)
Engine needs to be running while the final fluid level check is done.
Use the proper Transmission fluid type (Toyota WS or verified equivalent)

If your mechanic doesn't want to or understand how to follow the instructions in the pdf below...find one that does. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BRZ-AT-fluid-change.pdf (178.2 KB, 118 views)
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
Cole (11-06-2017), Tcoat (11-06-2017), Ultramaroon (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #8
Mehrshad
GT86PersianClub

Thank you guys ,i think im gonna read the manual and replace the fluid another time step by step,today i went to a different mechanic and he said that it needs 0.5 Liter of fluid ,he put the fluid in,and said that he should reset the gearbox with tech stream ,he will reset it tomorrow,but today after i came back from the mechanic, i tested it in the highway ,in the first 4km’s the problem was ther,but after like 5km’s it was gone and the gear change felt normal again! I think the problem was gone when it was warm,i filmed it when it happend,this is the video:

And this is after it when it was normal again:

Old 11-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thank you guys ,i think im gonna read the manual and replace the fluid another time step by step,today i went to a different mechanic and he said that it needs 0.5 Liter of fluid ,he put the fluid in,and said that he should reset the gearbox with tech stream ,he will reset it tomorrow,but today after i came back from the mechanic, i tested it in the highway ,in the first 4km’s the problem was ther,but after like 5km’s it was gone and the gear change felt normal again! I think the problem was gone when it was warm,i filmed it when it happend,this is the video:

Oh! Now I see. It is not slow to shift. It refuses to upshift even when you lift the throttle!

Like others have said, the fluid change is not trivial. I hope that's all it is. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:48 PM   #10
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Garage
Quote:

Unless you suspect the fluid is not the correct type, then I don't see a reason to replace it all over again, just do the fluid level adjustment procedure properly.

I'm not sure what the 2nd mechanic is trying to do with "reset the gearbox in tech stream", sounds like he's pulling on your wallet.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:31 AM   #11
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
First check if the transmission fluid level is correct.

Then go to a dealer and have them try resetting your transmission ecu.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:07 AM   #12
Mehrshad
GT86PersianClub

I cant take the car to the dealer because the dealer in my country dont know anything about the 86 and they just do normal Toyota’s

So correct me if im wrong because im gonna do the checking by myself,
When the fluid is cool, I should open the overflow plug and put oil through the refill hole Untill it flows out of the overflow tube,and wait untill the fluid stops flowing and is only dripping,then i should close the overflow plug and add exactly 2Liters of fluid through the refill hole, and thats it? Is it correct?
Old 11-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #13
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Garage
Quote:
I cant take the car to the dealer because the dealer in my country dont know anything about the 86 and they just do normal Toyota’s

So correct me if im wrong because im gonna do the checking by myself,
When the fluid is cool, I should open the overflow plug and put oil through the refill hole Untill it flows out of the overflow tube,and wait untill the fluid stops flowing and is only dripping,then i should close the overflow plug and add exactly 2Liters of fluid through the refill hole, and thats it? Is it correct?
No, not correct. If you did that you would be overfilled by "about" 2 liters. The service manual instructions are indeed, a bit confusing.

The drain and overfill process (done 3 times during the fluid replacement phase) is done using the Drain bolt hole (not shown in the pictures in the service manual) which allows you to get the majority of the fluid out of the pan. Then using the Fill bolt hole, you fill it until fluid starts running from the Overflow hole, then add 2 more liters OVER the overflow level (after you've replaced the overflow bolt of course).

The final fluid level adjustment must be done with the fluid at the specified temperature with the engine running. When it's correct, fluid will barely be flowing from the Overflow bolt hole. The procedure for getting it to the proper temperature is described in the manual (shorting out the 2 pins on the OBDII connector and watching the shift up and down indicators).

So your fluid level is correct when it is at the top of the overflow tube (shown in the service manual diagram), vehicle is level, engine is running and fluid is at the proper temperature.

It's actually not a complicated procedure, it's just the way the instructions are written makes it seem that way.
Attached Images

Last edited by BirdTRD; 01-06-2018 at 06:38 AM. Reason: punctuation
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BirdTRD For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-06-2018), Tristor (04-16-2018), Ultramaroon (11-07-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #14
Mehrshad
GT86PersianClub

Today i did the instruction manual step by step,
The first thing i did i opened the overflow plug and let the oil out,then i added 2Liters of fluid,and connected the tech stream and i did the P,R,N,D,M,D.N,R,P and then N-D to go to temp mode,and when the 2 indicators turned on, when the engine was running i opened overflow plug and let the oil out,and when it was thin i closed the overflow plug,
But the problem is still there.. i dont know what to do