follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #533
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
A little dangerous to do while driving but that's water coming OUT of the vents cut in my cowl.
Attached Images

keen as (12-10-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #534
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyJay View Post
Are these JRSC cars using the JR specific oil cooler or some other solution?
JR Specific; you'd need some really creative airflow design to fit something else unless you relocate the JRSC components.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #535
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
JR Specific; you'd need some really creative airflow design to fit something else unless you relocate the JRSC components.
He could swap out the 15 row for a 20 row easily right?

Aren't you able to get your JRSC brz pretty hot on the track to the point where you have to back off? And you also run with heater vents blowing full hot? Not saying the 15 row is insufficient... but YOU are able to get the temps up there no?
Old 12-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #536
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm wondering if one couldn't cut an opening in the stock front plastic splitter piece and install an oil cooler, laid flat instead of upright.

Seems to me that inside the grill area in front of the radiator/intercooler is all high pressure, so air would still be pushed through the cooler even though it's laid flat.

I just got an oil cooler, and I want to either mount it behind my passenger side fog light, or maybe mount it flat onto the plastic splitter as I've suggested.

I've seen some ducting for the fog light mounting as well but can't find pics.

I do not want to mount my oil cooler in front of the intercooler. On my car there's no room since everything got moved forward.

Any thoughts?

Also, I'd love to see some pics of coolers mounted on BRZ's.
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #537
Brody602
Drift King

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I'm wondering if one couldn't cut an opening in the stock front plastic splitter piece and install an oil cooler, laid flat instead of upright.

Seems to me that inside the grill area in front of the radiator/intercooler is all high pressure, so air would still be pushed through the cooler even though it's laid flat.

I just got an oil cooler, and I want to either mount it behind my passenger side fog light, or maybe mount it flat onto the plastic splitter as I've suggested.

I've seen some ducting for the fog light mounting as well but can't find pics.

I do not want to mount my oil cooler in front of the intercooler. On my car there's no room since everything got moved forward.

Any thoughts?

Also, I'd love to see some pics of coolers mounted on BRZ's.

Fullblowns oil cooler is positioned behind the foglight area and is proven to help significantly even without any cutouts/modifications to the foglight area, hope that helps your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #538
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
I run mine with the fog light removed and it helped oil temps significantly.
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dipstik-sportech For This Useful Post:
Brody602 (12-05-2014), D_Thissen (12-06-2014)
Old 12-05-2014, 08:10 PM   #539
Brody602
Drift King

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post

Depending on the numbers I get when I get my car back I might look into cutting out the "T" hole out of my bezel for more airflow Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417828209.826561.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  360.9 KB

Old 12-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #540
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody602 View Post
Depending on the numbers I get when I get my car back I might look into cutting out the "T" hole out of my bezel for more airflow
Pop the foglight bezel out and use a die grinder and just shave the backside where the space invader pattern is until just the grille pattern remains. Function and looks without it looking hacked up.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #541
mike the snake

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Any pics of coolers installed on a BRZ?
mike the snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:12 PM   #542
Dipstik-sportech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
Any pics of coolers installed on a BRZ?
I'll take one tomorrow for u
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Old 12-05-2014, 11:50 PM   #543
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
He could swap out the 15 row for a 20 row easily right?

Aren't you able to get your JRSC brz pretty hot on the track to the point where you have to back off? And you also run with heater vents blowing full hot? Not saying the 15 row is insufficient... but YOU are able to get the temps up there no?
Oil temps, no, coolant temps, yes, but we're using a radiator that is designed for high pressure fans... but we don't have the fans on.

The car actually runs cooler (coolant temp) with the stock radiator.

Then again, coolant never got over about 205F at Thill, so my running the header is more a precaution rather than a necessity.

I could get the coolant to 220F with stock fans and the custom radiator, but that's in 115F weather. In 110F weather, I can get the coolant to stabilize around 215, and in 100F, heat wasn't an issue.

It's also partially dependent on the tune and fuel we run, as we experiment with different setups.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:35 AM   #544
MINOCIN

Drives: Asphalt 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
I too have my oil cooler mounted behind the passenger side fog light with holes cut out. It does make a significant difference at speeds over 40 mph while driving in a straight line, but I was still seeing temperatures climb past 255 F when stuck in LA traffic, driving hard in the canyons and at the race track with the Innovate SC kit (intercooled). So I fabricated a shroud around the oil cooler to route air thru it. The shroud definitely helped reduce temps at the race track and in the canyons, but it can't really do much if I'm stuck in traffic. I'll need to get a fan for that.

I would say that if you already have a cooler behind the fog light or if you're thinking of putting one there because it's your only option then make sure to have a shroud to redirect air to it.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble
MINOCIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #545
Dipstik-sportech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINOCIN View Post
I too have my oil cooler mounted behind the passenger side fog light with holes cut out. It does make a significant difference at speeds over 40 mph while driving in a straight line, but I was still seeing temperatures climb past 255 F when stuck in LA traffic, driving hard in the canyons and at the race track with the Innovate SC kit (intercooled). So I fabricated a shroud around the oil cooler to route air thru it. The shroud definitely helped reduce temps at the race track and in the canyons, but it can't really do much if I'm stuck in traffic. I'll need to get a fan for that.

I would say that if you already have a cooler behind the fog light or if you're thinking of putting one there because it's your only option then make sure to have a shroud to redirect air to it.
That's how all oil coolers without fans will preform regardless of where they're mounted. With it behind the fog light it just allows cooler fresh air to get to it quicker and in greater volume than if the light was still in place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dipstik-sportech For This Useful Post:
The Racers Line (12-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 04:06 AM   #546
MINOCIN

Drives: Asphalt 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
As of now, the JRSC is the only supercharger kit I see at the track. All of the Innovate powered cars have either parted their kits or quit tracking altogether.
I'm Innovate powered and I haven't stopped tracking

I'm by no means a track rat, I just had to end this year a bit early because my tires started to cord. The JRSC kit may be better, especially at the track, but I still have fun with the Innovate kit. You are right though, I never really did see any other Innovate powered 86s around the socal tracks. Perhaps some are doing Auto-X like whataboutbob. He seems to be doing pretty well in that arena.

Sorry for getting off topic, I just don't want any Innovate guys to be discouraged from going to the track.

Umm... How can I get back on topic?

Has anyone tried a fire sleeve and tape kit. For example the one from DEI.
https://www.designengineering.com/ca...eeve-tape-kits

According to the description the kit helps insulate and protect your lines. Not too long ago I had to refit my oil cooler lines and so I decided to give the sleeve a try. Since my oil cooler lines run close to the intake snorkel and right in front of the radiator I figured the less radiant heat the better.

Unfortunately I can't say for sure how much the sleeves are helping though because at the same time I also made a shroud for my oil cooler, which I think helped the most. Now that the weather has cooled down though I hardly ever see my oil temps budge over 187 F.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." -Oscar Gamble
MINOCIN is offline   Reply With Quote