follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2023, 02:09 PM   #1
tazio

Drives: Don't yet have a Toyobaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How many miles does it take for RTV to get into the oil? Any change on later engines?

When removing the oil pan requires removing an aero panel, removing the headers, and using a pry-bar and the pickup filter is at the top of the tube, the job is a pain in the ass for a shade-tree DIYer. And while Killer B made that pre-filter, you'd have to take it off again, if you ever need to take the car to the dealer.
tazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:08 PM   #2
Turdinator
Señor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
How long is a piece of string? It may never happen or it may happen within 500mls

Also why would you need to remove the Killer B filter when going to the dealer? Only reason I could see is if their filter didn't do its job at keeping the silicon out.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:34 PM   #3
tazio

Drives: Don't yet have a Toyobaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
How long is a piece of string? It may never happen or it may happen within 500mls

Also why would you need to remove the Killer B filter when going to the dealer? Only reason I could see is if their filter didn't do its job at keeping the silicon out.

Well, is there any data on it?

An aftermarket pre-filter might be justification to void your warranty.
tazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 12:37 AM   #4
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
lol. And they might "void your warranty" (hate that term) if the engine is completely stock!

It's Subaru we're talking about here after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 03:31 AM   #5
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
All the upgrades are just feeding off of hysteria. RTV in the pan is merely a symptom related to grenaded engines, not the primary cause.

The main problem is RTV getting loose in the engine from wherever there is a joint sealed with RTV. All the RTV that made it into your oil pan is good: that's the RTV that didn't cause a problem. It's the RTV that never makes it to the oil pan that causes engines to blow up, and you will never know about that unless, well, your engine blows up or you rip the engine apart and look for shards in every nook and cranny.

I think it's been shown generally that it takes quite a bit of pick-up blockage to meaningfully really constrict oil flow. All you need to do to remedy that is clean up what's already there and put it back if you're worried about that. Any RTV that makes it past the pick-up screen gets shredded up by the oil pump and then captured at the filter.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-26-2023)
Old 05-24-2023, 12:26 PM   #6
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Why hasn't SOA done anything about this yet, or even acknowledged it?

Hell, they did a fake ass bogus bullshit nationwide valve spring recall that they didn't need to do (that ironically caused similar issues with RTV ingestion/circulation due to excessive amounts used by techs during the conclusion of the 14 hour engine-out re-assembly process), but they won't take action on this?

Fucking Subaru. Fix your shit.

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 05-26-2023, 12:17 PM   #7
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Despite being a top enthusiast talking point, I doubt this makes jd power ratings top 500 talking points
Old 05-26-2023, 01:16 PM   #8
Breadman

Drives: 2017 BRZ w/PP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post

Hell, they did a fake ass bogus bullshit nationwide valve spring recall that they didn't need to do (that ironically caused similar issues with RTV ingestion/circulation due to excessive amounts used by techs during the conclusion of the 14 hour engine-out re-assembly process), but they won't take action on this?

Because SOA is complete dogshit. Customer service is clearly something they cost cut.
Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Breadman For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-26-2023), Pat (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 05:21 PM   #9
soundman98

Quote:

i already responded to this comment elsewhere, but if you keep parroting this, i'll keep parroting my response.

the recall wasn't fake, or bogus.

the recall was specifically because the metal supplier that supplied the valve spring metal was caught falsifying certification data for multiple years of their relationship with subaru. this specifically means that subaru had no idea what metal was used for the valve springs during those years. it could've been a better material, or it could've been recycled tin cans.

their engineers specifically came up with a technical specification for the metallurgy required for the component, and subaru offers a warranty for products they create based on those technical specifications.

by receiving and distributing components of an unknown makeup, subaru can't know the reliability and performance of those components, which can lead to engine failure.

so they did what any reasonable company does, and issued a recall for the years of the falsified data to ensure that the product they sold and warrantied met their minimum product specifications. it also covers their butt in any liability issues, as they are both offering a fix to make the consumer whole, and also making it clear to other suppliers that they won't further the same material falsification issue that lead to the recall in the first place.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:22 PM   #10
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Maybe it didn't chap your ass as much because you don't live in California where is was mandatory or else you can't register the car anymore.

If it was optional for me and I could have declined it, I would've had much less of a problem with it.

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 05-26-2023, 06:04 PM   #11
soundman98

Quote:
Maybe it didn't chap your ass as much because you don't live in California where is was mandatory or else you can't register the car anymore.

If it was optional for me and I could have declined it, I would've had much less of a problem with it.
i just wouldn't have registered the car for a year until all the techs worked out the bugs in doing it.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:07 PM   #12
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

So just register your only vehicle as non-op, but continue to actually daily drive it for commuting to work?

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 05-26-2023, 09:16 PM   #13
soundman98

Quote:
So just register your only vehicle as non-op, but continue to actually daily drive it for commuting to work?
Who said anything about that? I never got the renewal notice!