follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA Australia and New Zealand

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2012, 03:55 AM   #85
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Chinese cars won't drive price down. Korean has been there and look at their price now. Manufacturers will put price up if/when they can.
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #86
JDM-20L

Drives: JZZ12, 86 on pre-order.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
I just don't understand why it would be priced at under 35k. Celica's and Prelude's were selling for up to 50k for their high spec models 15 years ago. Do you have an example of any car that sells for 25-27k in the US and sells for mid 30's in Australia? I think all this price speculation is wishful thinking on the part of many members of this forum. I think that even at 40k on the road for a base spec, this makes it a cheap brand new car. Regardless of what second hand cars you think you can get for this price, there's not many brand new RWD sporty cars at this price point that are significantly better value.

Toyota will price the car based on maximising profits, hence its stated target market which we've all read about. It will not miss out on 5-10k profit per car to make it more accessible to enthusiasts unfortunately.

As for spending more than your annual income on a car, you will find that most people on high salaries will only spend a fraction of their income on their car. Case in point are several colleagues at my work. One is on around 600k a year, drives a Prius, one makes around 300k, drives an Aurion, another on around 300k and drives a little jap hatchback. The only person who drives something of value in the boss who's car is worth around 150k. He is making over 1mil. This is their individual incomes, not combined family. Just some fruit for thought
some valid points there ^ & well said mate.

To be perfectly honest, I am getting sick of logging on here and seeing every thread turn into an economics debate...

Can we not talk about the car? lets forget about the price already. It will come soon enough!
JDM-20L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #87
Skorov

Drives: 86 GTS White
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM-20L View Post
some valid points there ^ & well said mate.

To be perfectly honest, I am getting sick of logging on here and seeing every thread turn into an economics debate...

Can we not talk about the car? lets forget about the price already. It will come soon enough!
QFT
Skorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #88
davey90
Akina Speed Stars

Drives: White 86 GTS Auto [CID- ***]
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to davey90
So, whats the estimate date for the price, was it May? Also anyone know how many litres the fuel tank is?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #89
JFC

Drives: 2015 86, 2015 Evo X
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey90 View Post
So, whats the estimate date for the price, was it May? Also anyone know how many litres the fuel tank is?

We just have to simply wait, frustrating as hell for some but nothing we can do about it.

Although i dont know but im betting there will be a dealers meeting/launch mid May early June possibly at HQ in Sydney and anything needed to know about the launch will be known then.

Fuel tank is reported at 50ltrs which is personally not enough these days.

Last edited by JFC; 04-15-2012 at 04:27 AM.
JFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #90
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Drives: AE86 & depressing SUV
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFC View Post
Latest info i have is the base model is projected around 29-32k + ORC with high spec to be approx 3-4k extra, whether this is the actual starting price (sticker or MSRP) or the dealers (invoice) buy it price i dont know. This can and most likely will change but who, what, where, when i dont know yet.

We just have to simply wait, frustrating as hell for some but nothing we can do about it.

Although i dont know but im betting there will be a dealers meeting/launch mid May early June possibly at HQ in Sydney and anything needed to know about the launch will be known then.

Fuel tank is reported at 50ltrs which is personally not enough these days.
You're the only one who thinks it'll be that cheap. General consensus is that it's likely to be 36-38k for a base model in manual. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4340

You're right though, it's probably going to be around a 50 litre fuel tank (as most small-med cars have). I reckon fuel economy will be surprisingly good due to the mix of port and direct injection. Maybe around 9L/100km doing a mix of driving. That's around 500km per tank of fuel. Plenty for me.
PuGZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #91
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuGZoR View Post
You're the only one who thinks it'll be that cheap. General consensus is that it's likely to be 36-38k for a base model in manual. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4340

you all can believe what ever you want too, i couldn't care less.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #92
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Wasn't reported economy like 6/100 due to dual injection??
And I beleive what JFC is saying, at this point, without official word, any guess is as good as any other
Old 04-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #93
pr0j

Drives: 2010 Forester X
JFC I'm with you. I think it will be cheaper than people have been saying.
pr0j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:06 AM   #94
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
based on the pricing for the Prius C, i believe that the base model won't be 40k +orc.

TMCA, please don't disappoint me!!
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:14 AM   #95
JFC

Time will tell and we always assume Toyota will ass rape us as they clearly have done before but this is different, and so it should.

New model, new direction, the gfc, everything is different.

Seeing that UK reporters (the older guy) drive review makes it all the more real that this 86 may not be a 40k+ sports car. With potential to be a awesome car as im sure it will be but not out of the box.

I guess being last has its advantages that everyone else gets a go before we do so we learn the downfalls, pro's and cons about the car before we decide to buy it new or used.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #96
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Drives: AE86 & depressing SUV
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
70YND, maybe 6/100 on the highway? That seems pretty reasonable. My guess of 9/100 mixed is a practical guess based on what I do, which is a fair amount of commuting (although there is a good portion driving at speed). Could be anything. I don't have a lot of experience with fuel economy of boxers, let alone ones using dual injection. You'd imagine that it'd be pretty hard to get worse than 10L per 100km, given the low weight and low displacement, regardless of how hard it's driven (on the street anyway).

Agreed, JFC's guess is as good as any since we haven't heard anything official... best quote I've heard is them saying that they're aiming at a price starting with a 3. I was pointing out that JFC is clearly in the minority with thinking it's going to be at that price point, so he shouldn't be giving people the impression that that is the popular opinion. I'm an analyst for a living, I get pretty anal about giving people accurate information... No offense meant though JFC! For the record I really hope you're right, if it means anything.

Mid to late 30's I still think they'll sell a bucket load due to it being significantly lower than anything else remotely sporty. Toyota's new dedication to inspiring younger generations is the wildcard to me. See any of their press releases this year and you'll know what I'm talking about. All depends how Toyota AU take this on though, given that those recent internal docs seem to point to otherwise. I guess that they could be using the Ferrari effect to a lesser extent, make sports cars that all the younger people want but only the older can afford. Still works as a halo effect in the brand.

TL;DR - We don't know, too much stuff could affect pricing still. Please don't give people the impression we have a solid price though, please?
PuGZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #97
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuGZoR View Post
70YND, maybe 6/100 on the highway? That seems pretty reasonable. My guess of 9/100 mixed is a practical guess based on what I do, which is a fair amount of commuting (although there is a good portion driving at speed). Could be anything. I don't have a lot of experience with fuel economy of boxers, let alone ones using dual injection. You'd imagine that it'd be pretty hard to get worse than 10L per 100km, given the low weight and low displacement, regardless of how hard it's driven (on the street anyway).

Agreed, JFC's guess is as good as any since we haven't heard anything official... best quote I've heard is them saying that they're aiming at a price starting with a 3. I was pointing out that JFC is clearly in the minority with thinking it's going to be at that price point, so he shouldn't be giving people the impression that that is the popular opinion. I'm an analyst for a living, I get pretty anal about giving people accurate information... No offense meant though JFC! For the record I really hope you're right, if it means anything.

Mid to late 30's I still think they'll sell a bucket load due to it being significantly lower than anything else remotely sporty. Toyota's new dedication to inspiring younger generations is the wildcard to me. See any of their press releases this year and you'll know what I'm talking about. All depends how Toyota AU take this on though, given that those recent internal docs seem to point to otherwise. I guess that they could be using the Ferrari effect to a lesser extent, make sports cars that all the younger people want but only the older can afford. Still works as a halo effect in the brand.

TL;DR - We don't know, too much stuff could affect pricing still. Please don't give people the impression we have a solid price though, please?
Agreed
And as for economy, that will depend on individuals I guess more than anything. Direct injection has potential for high output low consumption (ie efficiency), but we shall see how it applies here. Soon tho, hasn't it already been released in Japan?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:44 AM   #98
JFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by paros28 View Post
Curiously both sides of the issue may be correct.

For those thinking the price will be around $40k for standard model. You may be right. Given the high level of interest and pent up demand, I can see initial pricing in that range.

For those thinking the price will be around $35k for standard model. You may also be right but you may have to wait at least a year or two. It is only matter of time but production will eventually catch up with initial demand. Then the price can be lowered or other incentives can be offered to stimulate more demand. Even if there is no official decrease in price, dealers will then be more flexible on pricing. It'll depend on your negotiating skills.

This is pricing strategy is called "skimming"

"Price skimming is a product pricing strategy by which a firm charges the highest initial price that customers will pay. As the demand of the first customers is satisfied, the firm lowers the price to attract another, more price-sensitive segment."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_skimming

This is very true and most likely what will happen.

Although i have the financial resources to buy the 86 this year, base on this skimming and a couple of other factors im trying to hold out till this time next year maybe even end of next year.

Tags
australia, price, usa