follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
SeanBlader

Drives: Suburu BRZ Limited, black
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
crazy car

Look what showed up in the parking lot at work this morning, driven in by my new low level manager:

Going to go for a ride sometime around lunch.

Poor guy has never had it on the track. I'm hoping he'll just go out, exercise some self control and remember the objective of a track day, "drive home". Although someone who springs 140k for a car, might not be the self control type. Although now that I look at it, they're selling now in the 200k and up range, that's pretty amazing. I still figure he'd probably make himself sick before he overdrove the car.

It's pretty crazy, but it's a dedicated racecar pretty much, well other than the big subwoofer that's mounted to the firewall between the seats. Also you can't be over 5'9" to race the car since you can't get a helmet in there, the roof is just a little too low.
SeanBlader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeanBlader For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (03-12-2014), MyRx (03-12-2014), _Se7en_ (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #2
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Can I have a job at your work? Thankfully I make enough that the FR-S is basically a disposable car for me, but I'd love to make the kinda money were a Ford GT is a disposable car!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:21 AM   #3
SeanBlader

Of course I just watched the Top Gear episode, and with a 17 gallon tank, and 4mpg, it's got a 75 mile range. Although if you baby it, you can get 12 mpg, which is still unfortunate at 204 miles, and still gets you less range than a Tesla Model S.

And they mentioned the parking issue, I imagine he'll need to push the car out of the parking spot in order to get into it since the door has a roof, we'll see.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
$140k?

Yeah that's what they sold for new, lol they've been selling around $200K IIRC

If he's a "low-level" manager, I must be in the wrong business! Silicon Valley never ceases to amaze me

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
SeanBlader

It gets crazier.

We go to drive out for lunch, and as we're walking up to the car, he points the key's at me! I had to double check if he was sure he was cool with that, I've never driven anything with more than like 200 hp. He's like "Sure as long as you can drive manual."

So today I drove a Ford GT. I didn't get on it or anything, didn't want to do anything stupid. The clutch is stiff and the engine is really quiet especially for an 18 year old car. The weird part though was the stickiness of the shifter, it really didn't want to move laterally, and the centering springs felt like they were missing or too weak to overcome the transmission fluid viscosity. But it's seriously imminently drivable as a normal car, I didn't go mashing the gas, nor did I even stall it which I normally do on new to me manual transmissions, which I'm sure had more to do with the low end grunt the thing has than anything else.

He drove on the way back and got on it a little for the onramp of the one exit ride we had on the freeway, and it took off, but it wasn't like shocking ridiculous fast. It was more like, "yeah that's pretty good". Maybe that's my own bias, I've never been a drag racer, you can do more g's in cornering than you can anywhere else on normal roads. I think some of that came out in our brief foray into acceleration when there was a bit of steering wobble because he doesn't have any historical training on performance driving and he's holding the steering wheel at 12 and 3 like a commuter.

Overall though nice machine, for a race car. It however is completely unsuitable for just about anything else. Which seems weird coming from a guy who's had a Mk1 MR2 forever, but there you go.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
Flat Black VW

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanBlader View Post
It gets crazier.

We go to drive out for lunch, and as we're walking up to the car, he points the key's at me! I had to double check if he was sure he was cool with that, I've never driven anything with more than like 200 hp. He's like "Sure as long as you can drive manual."

So today I drove a Ford GT. I didn't get on it or anything, didn't want to do anything stupid. The clutch is stiff and the engine is really quiet especially for an 18 year old car. The weird part though was the stickiness of the shifter, it really didn't want to move laterally, and the centering springs felt like they were missing or too weak to overcome the transmission fluid viscosity. But it's seriously imminently drivable as a normal car, I didn't go mashing the gas, nor did I even stall it which I normally do on new to me manual transmissions, which I'm sure had more to do with the low end grunt the thing has than anything else.

He drove on the way back and got on it a little for the onramp of the one exit ride we had on the freeway, and it took off, but it wasn't like shocking ridiculous fast. It was more like, "yeah that's pretty good". Maybe that's my own bias, I've never been a drag racer, you can do more g's in cornering than you can anywhere else on normal roads. I think some of that came out in our brief foray into acceleration when there was a bit of steering wobble because he doesn't have any historical training on performance driving and he's holding the steering wheel at 12 and 3 like a commuter.

Overall though nice machine, for a race car. It however is completely unsuitable for just about anything else. Which seems weird coming from a guy who's had a Mk1 MR2 forever, but there you go.
I'm assuming you meant an 8 year old car?
Flat Black VW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
SeanBlader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Black VW View Post
I'm assuming you meant an 8 year old car?
Heh, yeah. Let's go with that.... Although in that case it wasn't quite as impressive, my mom's Celica is in better condition and it's an '01.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #8
cactus

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Low level manager? I need to get into management...
cactus is offline   Reply With Quote