follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota 86 / Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-17-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
HaXx

Drives: boosted_brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
TYC Colin jdm tails build thread

Ive come into possession of seemingly the hardest to obtain tail lights for the frs/brz. the TYC Colins. there are more expensive custom show lights out there, but you can buy those if you have the money. these, you cannot just buy even if you have the money. i feel like it is my responsibility to bring these back to life. when they are finally ready for use, i think it would be interesting to have a documented build thread for them.

The previous owner butchered these trying to take the lens off himself, and seemingly cut the lens off. they are mirror finish, and he opened one up and scratched the mirror finish off, leaving it trashed. I presume it will need 2 oem clear tail light lens's, and the housing to be heated and the residual glue be carefully removed

i have reached out to many companies specializing in lighting, as well as forum members here i know are retrofit guru's, inquiring about their interest in taking on a special project.

TYC is a company that makes OE replacement lights. if you search tyc frs tail lights, the oem tails will come up. but the colins are another story. their original quality is that of eom.

HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #2
DarkPira7e
Handin' out 1 Deags

Drives: 13 Firestorm Red FRS
Thanked 1,276 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Good find! best of luck bringing these back. If you don't have it already, look for Dremel attachments that have the conical buffing pad; it works super well for plastic corners.

I've restored OEM headlights, but I don't think I'd ever bother with taillights, I don't care how rare they are. Excited to see how much you are able to do for them!
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
HaXx (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Dang those are rough.

Maybe transfer the guts into an OEM and tint the inside to a mirror finish?
Old 02-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
HaXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Good find! best of luck bringing these back. If you don't have it already, look for Dremel attachments that have the conical buffing pad; it works super well for plastic corners.

I've restored OEM headlights, but I don't think I'd ever bother with taillights, I don't care how rare they are. Excited to see how much you are able to do for them!
i didnt really mention this, but i am not going to be the one doing the work. this is way over my head. ill be sending it to the pros to do. ive already found out a little about them. apparently they are plactic welded lenses, so you do in fact have to cut the lens off, then plastic weld it back together.
The Following User Says Thank You to HaXx For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
DarkPira7e
Handin' out 1 Deags

Drives: 13 Firestorm Red FRS
Thanked 1,276 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
i didnt really mention this, but i am not going to be the one doing the work. this is way over my head. ill be sending it to the pros to do. ive already found out a little about them. apparently they are plactic welded lenses, so you do in fact have to cut the lens off, then plastic weld it back together.
Regardless, it's an impressive task to take on! All the OEM style taillight lenses are plasti welded; it's a really obnoxious affair to separate them. I'm sure they did it due to the amount of water and humidity the rear sees from the roof sipes.

Excited to see them all done!
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #6
soundman98
Boost is Whack. N/A4LYFE

Drives: '14 brz limited
Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,747 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
all oem tails are plastic welded. it has something to do with the lack of serviceable parts inside.

i highly recommend you discuss with the pro's you're talking with to update the led's to lumiled superflux where ever possible. the 5mm led design these use has inherently poor thermal dissipation, which leads to an untimely death of the led's...

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
Chuckls

Drives: brz tS 086/500
I have a pair of red TYCs that I may sell soon. Going back to OEM.
Chuckls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #8
HaXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
I have a pair of red TYCs that I may sell soon. Going back to OEM.
no lie, put them up soon bc you can get a premium for them, it may take a long time to find someone who realizes what they actually are, but those people are out there.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
HaXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
Dang those are rough.

Maybe transfer the guts into an OEM and tint the inside to a mirror finish?
absolutely brutalized. the internals are fine, thankfully, and the passenger is great, but the driver side is ugh. so far there is company that says no prob we can do it.

it seems the options are: open both up and put clear lenses on both, or option 2: leave the passenger side alone then mirror an oe lens and put that on the busted one