follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Totally want to hit up one of these but I think I need schooling plus my car is still stock. Is there thread of info to get me started?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #16
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
Totally want to hit up one of these but I think I need schooling plus my car is still stock. Is there thread of info to get me started?

You are in the right place Noob4life. This is schooling. These events are HPDE (High Performance Driving Education).

There are 4 run groups:
1. Driving School (first timers start here)
2. Solo (beginner)
3. Point By (intermediate)
4. Open (expert)

Driving school teaches you the basics of safely driving fast on a road course and all the rules that accompany that priveledge. It is great for general awareness and getting to know your vehicle in ways you never would have dreamed to on the street.

NCRC does a few 30 min morning classroom sessions each followed by some track time with an instructor. You and your group follow instructors around the track and learn "the line", flags, and basic passing etiquette.

Then in the afternoon you are allowed on the track with your fellow class mates. Instructors are present on track to keep an eye on you and to provide as a guide tool for figuring out "the line" and entry/exit speeds.

My friend did it last week and was instantly addicted. He has since purchased a helmet, racing harness, racing gloves and racing shoes. =) Safe to say he has found a new hobby.

If you want more info try here:
http://www.ncracing.org/faq.php

Or just ask us here. Plenty willing to help a new driver out.

P.S. As far as you getting yourself and your car ready: As a beginner you wont need to change anything on your vehicle. Just insure that it is in good working order. For yourself, you will need a helmet.

SA2010 rated helmet is best.

http://www.northstarmotorsports.com/...productID/8200

http://www.northstarmotorsports.com/...productID/8080

This is similar to what I have.

http://www.northstarmotorsports.com/...productID/7918

Others can chime in here.
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
Touge Monster

Drives: 85 AE86 Hatch, 92 SW20 , 13 GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post

I took my frs to the track stock the first time out. Unless you are going balls to the wall it will be more than adiqute in stock form. The stock tires even though they suck are great to learn on allowing loss of traction at somewhat safe limits. I had the joy of driving mine in deplorable conditions @ thunder hill for my first track day. Pouring rain and mud being laid on the track in some sections it was fun though got familiar with the cars characteristics noticed some tendencys to understeer so I made some minor adjustments for my next track day. It's all about learning the car then you can tune it to your liking and really appreciate each and every modification made.
Touge Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #18
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Thanks for the info guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
You are in the right place Noob4life. This is schooling. These events are HPDE (High Performance Driving Education).

There are 4 run groups:
1. Driving School (first timers start here)
2. Solo (beginner)
3. Point By (intermediate)
4. Open (expert)

Driving school teaches you the basics of safely driving fast on a road course and all the rules that accompany that priveledge. It is great for general awareness and getting to know your vehicle in ways you never would have dreamed to on the street.

NCRC does a few 30 min morning classroom sessions each followed by some track time with an instructor. You and your group follow instructors around the track and learn "the line", flags, and basic passing etiquette.

Then in the afternoon you are allowed on the track with your fellow class mates. Instructors are present on track to keep an eye on you and to provide as a guide tool for figuring out "the line" and entry/exit speeds.

My friend did it last week and was instantly addicted. He has since purchased a helmet, racing harness, racing gloves and racing shoes. =) Safe to say he has found a new hobby.

If you want more info try here:
http://www.ncracing.org/faq.php

Or just ask us here. Plenty willing to help a new driver out.

P.S. As far as you getting yourself and your car ready: As a beginner you wont need to change anything on your vehicle. Just insure that it is in good working order. For yourself, you will need a helmet.

SA2010 rated helmet is best.

http://www.northstarmotorsports.com/...productID/8200

http://www.northstarmotorsports.com/...productID/8080

This is similar to what I have.

http://www.northstarmotorsports.com/...productID/7918

Others can chime in here.
Do you know about how big the 3/4 face helmet is? As in im 6' 240 pds so my head isnt too far away from the ceiling lol do you think it will clear without a racing seat?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
sw20kosh

There are taller people driving on track with a helmet. You will be fine. Very few people have racing seats at this point. With modern vehicles it is harder to install a racing seat because insurance will not cover you if you get in an accident. The stock seats have safety equipment that you can't tamper with or remove.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #20
redGSRguy

Drives: integra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh lol! My bad thought there was only one!

Glad you are going too! Ill be bouncing around between solo and pb groups since my buddy (red abarth) is in solo and wants me to lead-follow + video. We can line up with you if you want so u can get some footage of your car from our cameras. We will be in the 5$ reserved parking again. Come join us.

Also let me know if you want a ride while I'm in pb. Ill try to convince you that picking up an frs is the best decision of your life!
Look forward to getting a ride along!!!
redGSRguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #21
MyRx

Drives: Flight 86 is now boarding.
Thanked 1,502 Times in 700 Posts
Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
sw20kosh,
I must have missed this on NCRC's FAQs but do they allow 2 cars paid/registered with 2 drivers swap during a session or only in between sessions?

My brother and I were going to sign up for 3/2 until I realized that's also the last game for me and son. If he still signs up, you mind if I throw him in your direction? He's a noob with a bmw 1-series with a built up engine (his susp over haul should be in soon but I talked him to feeling the susp in stock form - shh he says it's a secret). I've also talked him to do the classes / instructor first if/when he gets to the track.

Next scheduled Sat @ THill pls.
MyRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
sw20kosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRx View Post
sw20kosh,
I must have missed this on NCRC's FAQs but do they allow 2 cars paid/registered with 2 drivers swap during a session or only in between sessions?

My brother and I were going to sign up for 3/2 until I realized that's also the last game for me and son. If he still signs up, you mind if I throw him in your direction? He's a noob with a bmw 1-series with a built up engine (his susp over haul should be in soon but I talked him to feeling the susp in stock form - shh he says it's a secret). I've also talked him to do the classes / instructor first if/when he gets to the track.

Next scheduled Sat @ THill pls.
I am confused with your first question. Your wrist band determines if you can drive during that session. If you both have (example) blue wrist bands, then during a session you can pull into the pits and swap drivers and head back out. You can drive any car you want as long as you have the right wrist band.

And sure thing about your brother!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #23
MyRx

Quote:
I am confused with your first question. Your wrist band determines if you can drive during that session. If you both have (example) blue wrist bands, then during a session you can pull into the pits and swap drivers and head back out. You can drive any car you want as long as you have the right wrist band.

And sure thing about your brother!
I see. We have to have the same wrist band, hmm. Hmm.

Thx for looking out. I'll see if he's signed up.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #24
sw20kosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRx View Post
I see. We have to have the same wrist band, hmm. Hmm.

Thx for looking out. I'll see if he's signed up.
That is, if you want to swap drivers in the the same session.

You can have different wrist bands (ie. you can be in different run groups) and drive the same car but it wont be in the same session.

For example:

9:00 - 9:20 am | Solo session: Your brother can drive your car with his "solo wristband"
9:20 - 9:40 am | Point-by session: You can drive your car with your "point-by wristband" (he can ride shotgun)
Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 PM   #25
MyRx

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #26
icemang17

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Everyone
I will have my bone stock FRS there that day as well......I can take it out in Advanced for fun rides with a passenger..... My primary ride for the day is my race car....but it only has 1 seat.....I should get most of the data I need from the race car by about lunch....

I also am available to instruct from the passenger seat if needed.....

For new to track driving FRS owners.......DO IT....sign up for driving school...rent a helmet at the track for $30 and your good.....don't worry about ANYTHING about the car...if your brake pads are above 50% you will be fine..... Don't worry about mods to the car.....just drive it as is......it is plenty capable as is.....

For those arriving on Friday the 1st.....I always eat dinner in the bar at Casa Ramos....EXCELLENT food.....I'll probably get there around 6pm

I'll be at my shop #17...which is right next to MCE racing near the skidpad, in the upper section of dyno's....stop by and say hi!!!!
icemang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #27
sw20kosh

We need more 86's to come! Cant wait for this!!!!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #28
MyRx

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemang17 View Post
I also am available to instruct from the passenger seat if needed.....
Do you charge for this? Gas money??