follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 08-17-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
MY DGM - Coheed

I put a deposit down on a BRZ limited today. It is refundable, but I wasn't sure if you guys knew what kind of wait there was on them right now. I am thinking about December time-frame to get it. Perhaps a Christmas gift?

I am hoping it does actually come, but due to the limited numbers, are you guys worried about not getting one?

Well anyway, I got my order number. The sales manager said they have to build it still, but since they are a new dealership they are going to push really hard to get it. I got one option and that is the mirror with homelink for the garage door opener.

My last project was a Sentra SE-L, also in charcoal gray, and there isn't much I haven't done to it. I makes well over 500whp and is reliable, and I hope to one day turn this thing into a well-balanced modded car. Perhaps not as overboard as the sentra, but just a clean setup.

Last edited by Coheed; 04-11-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
schtebie

Drives: CBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coheed View Post
I put a deposit down on a BRZ limited today. It is refundable, but I wasn't sure if you guys knew what kind of wait there was on them right now. I am thinking about December time-frame to get it. Perhaps a Christmas gift?

I am hoping it does actually come, but due to the limited numbers, are you guys worried about not getting one?

Well anyway, I got my order number. The sales manager said they have to build it still, but since they are a new dealership they are going to push really hard to get it. I got one option and that is the mirror with homelink for the garage door opener.
I ordered my BRZ Limited on July 19th and according to Subaru of America, my approximate ETA is December 2012. Unless your order was one of initial allocations for your dealership, there's a slim chance you'll see it before 2013.
schtebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
if you get exactly what you want, December isn't bad at all.
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coheed View Post

My last project was a Sentra SE-L, also in charcoal gray, and there isn't much I haven't done to it. I makes well over 500whp and is reliable, and I hope to one day turn this thing into a well-balanced modded car. Perhaps not as overboard as the sentra, but just a clean setup.
Depends on where you are - different areas are supplied by different distribution companies, some take longer than others.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, I believe allocations for the BRZ are based on the dealer's previous sales volume for WRX's and STI's, so if you're dealing with a small or new dealership, their priority may be further down the list than a high volume dealership that sold a lot of WRX's and STI's in prior years.

Finally, depending on color, trim, and transmission choice, you may get lucky as it appears they have the assembly line tooled for a certain set of combinations at a batch, so if they just happen to be building a bunch of cars that match your order, you may get it sooner than later.

That said, when I ordered last month in the NY area (Subaru Distribution Corp serves the area), I was quoted an 8-10 week wait from time of order to delivery. I ended up finding the exact car from a New Hampshire dealership's incoming allocation, so I canceled the order a week after I placed it and put my money down on the one from New Hampshire. Got it 3 weeks later.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Coheed

Yeah, I'm in no rush. When it comes it comes. I just paid off student loans so I will be in good shape with a nice down payment when it gets here. I have only seen a handful arrive at dealers around the SLC utah area.

The sales manager said he is going to be aggressive getting it though. With their new large dealership they were promised the inventory to stock it, and Subaru has sort of fallen through for them. So hopefully it gets pushed. You would think that SOA would back their new dealers with new products, but hey, I got as good a chance as anyone right?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #6
Coheed

I'll be getting the car in February. Which works out awesome for me, because I want to put about 10K down on it. I just hope I don't get the dreaded CEL issue that's been going around.

So, 10k does a lot for a down payment, but can also void the warranty in a hurry if used other ways lol.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:34 AM   #7
Coheed

Picked up the car yesterday. DGM limited 6 speed. Had chrome trim, wheel locks, rear bumper strip. Overall its awesome I love it.

Car looks killer!

I got way lucky! My SLC dealer got one in on allocation. I called and noone had ordered it or put money down on it. So I picked it up!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
Coheed

Had the car clear bra installed yesterday. It turned out great, you don't even see it unless you look really close. There is a slightly different orange peel look to it, but it is so subtle.

Car handles great, but you have to respect the RWD. It can come around on you in a hurry with the traction aids off.

Car has pretty good bottom end to it, and the short gears really help it get up to speed decently quick. It has plenty of power in stock form, but less than I am used to. Still, the steering is responsive and quick. And the car is FUN to drive.

Regardless of power output, this car is all I wanted and more! It will get faster. but I am going to enjoy it.

I have plans to modify this car. Starting with tint, a tune and then suspension and exhaust. This summer I will have some wheels put on. I am going to shoot for about 180whp for now, with plans for FI in the near future as well.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #9
Coheed

For some background, here is my last baby. I am an SR20 nut. I've been building SRs for 8-10 years now. Just something I do on the side as a hobby. this 1999 sentra SE-Limited was everything I needed it to be. It had four doors, and I loved the color.

I started with an SR20VE swap at 187hp. This power was adequate and made 169whp in stock form. But the turbo bug bit me and I decided to build the engine for turbo abuse. Here is my buddy Shawn sizing the Intercooler for a pic.

I started with a GT3076r turbo with the smaller .63ar housing on the SR20VE engine.

I tried several different cams, then manifolds, then cams again, then turbo, then... more cams. I did as much testing as possible because the dynojet was close and owned by one of my best friends. So I frequently got the hookup for helping him out with his projects.

The log was ditched for a tubular manifold I had built to my specs. It was twin scroll designed and I used this on several different housings on the GT30R turbo. I learned a lot from this! I also utilized an air/water intercooler setup... because I wanted to test it.

After lots of testing I put on a precision 6262, then played with cams! And through all the broken transmissions, this was the end result! A 6 speed sentra equipped with Brembos, and one of the best SR setups around!

9000rpm beast. I never got a chance to fully tune the car. It was OBD2 legal, and that made it hard to do what I wanted to do legally. But still, a ROM tune made 517whp on only 19psig, 365whp on 10psi. It had a lot more in it too! Videos can be found by searching Super Sentra on youtube.

I sold the Super Sentra to buy my BRZ. I really wanted to keep the sentra, but sometimes you have to make the wife happy too. Only one project was allowed, so the decision was made to part with her and start something new!

Through the building of several cars, going to college, I've received a vast knowledge and been able to put theory to practice. The Super Sentra was my first car project. The BRZ will be that much better!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #10
Coheed

Old 10-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
Coheed

Went to the Utah Nissan dyno day. I'm a Nissan guy after all, so I couldn't miss this event. The BRZ had 425 miles on the odometer and I did two pulls.
Here is the 4th gear pull from just off idle. Everything bone stock.

Here is the 3rd gear pull from around 3k.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Wow, that was one serious Sentra! Congrats on the BRZ and good luck with it! I'm sure you'll be able to cook up a good recipe for performance with the new car, too!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #13
Coheed

Today I took the BRZ to the WOW event at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele Utah. I have my track impressions and feedback to share to whoever wants to listen.

The event was $35 along with a $10 helmet rental fee. In total, $45 is a steal to race on a world-class track! I started on the East side of the 4.5 mile course. this side of the track is around 2 miles long. No large straights though, as they want to keep the speeds a bit lower for inexperienced drivers. On my first lap of the day I hit a bit of gravel trying to dodge a pushed over cone on turn 16. I had to choose to hit the cone (seen the pics of the front bumpers cracking) or do a little off-road excursion. I chose the gravel pit and got a couple dings on my clear bra on the side of the car and a couple chips in the right rear wheel. Not a bad battle scar if you ask me, as the stockers are my winter wheels anyway. After 2 laps, I wanted to try out the West side.

I'm more familiar with the West side track. It has a few tighter corners, but I felt like you could carry a lot more speed in the corners when you can link them together. This was the first time in the BRZ on this track.

The starting lineup starts at turn 1. Getting ready to unleash the BRZ, I did a pedal dance to disable the nannies. It's on!

I was able to hold through corner 2 at the top of 3rd gear. After a few laps I was able to string corners 2, 3, and 4 together in a very satisfying pace. Top speed before turn 5 was around 98mph in 4th gear. And you have to be ready for turn 5 because it's a sharp double left. This corner was easy to get the car sideways on, but I was surprised at the level of grip and how tight the turn really felt. The ABS would kick occasionally as I pushed it a little bit past the threshold of grip.

Coming on to the last corner, turn 9, holding 3rd gear was the quickest way around. The tires howled here time and again. Go in too hot, get some understeer. But even on my craziest of laps I only hit the bumpers once. This turn is the turn that the spectators see, and it's their easiest way to determine how fast you are in comparison with the other cars. It is also an easy corner to mess up on and find yourself going really slow.

The BRZ has a dual character. On this corner, upon steering input the car would want to push. Trail brake a little bit and she comes around for you, but you scrub some speed. I found the BRZ likes a smooth driving line. Driving at 10/10 just makes you look insane because the rear will want to come out quite a bit. I found that driving at 9/10 was the fastest way around the track; constantly keeping the Primacy's at a hum, without a roar.

After I got the hang of the layout I was able to carry a lot of speed in critical areas of the track. They give each car a chance to get to turn 3 before letting the next car go. Before the end of the night, I was catching an IS300 and a Civic SI sedan by turn 9 at the end of the run! I felt great I was able to keep up with the SI, because I have a huge amount of respect for their capability. But I liked the ego boost I got from catching up. My buddy in the stands said I looked faster than the GTI, Gen Coupe, Civic SI, and several RX8s.

I am no professional driver. I make mistakes that cost some serious time on the course. But I was able to find the limits of the car and get much faster by the end of the day. Heel-toeing in this car is just a joy on the track. I can easily tell that this single practice helped make me a faster driver on the course. I got many compliments on the car, and my driving. This made me feel good because I don't have much track experience at all!

I felt like the car was constantly working with me to get faster, and by the end of the day I was driving at a very respectable pace that I'm proud of, and it put a giant grin on my face!

Overall though, the car did good. The scenery is something that some people criticize. That, and the lack of elevation change, are the only downsides to this track to most people. But I really felt like the scenery was amazing today!

Coming up on my 5th lap, the car broke 4500 miles.

The day was sunny, with just a few high wispy clouds and a cool temperature at around 55*F.

Here, you can see a pic of a white FRS. It was his first track day as well. I showed him the pedal dance, but he seemed to take it easy on the car. The GTI in front of me made me wish this was w2w racing. The BRZ was growling at me to get 'em.

Overall the day was very good. Got about 20 laps in overall and was able to see what the BRZ could do completely stock. Before long though, the car will have suspension, wheels, and a few power adders to hopefully make it a little bit quicker and more confidence-inspiring without taking away from the fun factor. But for now, what a blast!

Thanks for reading!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #14
forzajuve
Banned

Drives: Ultramarine 86 - 6MT
Sucks...

I only had to wait for my car for 3 weeks, port to port.
forzajuve is offline   Reply With Quote