follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #1
ReaperBRZ

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Unhappy Lost both my keys, need help.

Here's the situation I'm in... lost my only key (keep in mind this is a push to start manual) while I was riding my motorcycle all over the place when the weather finally broke. Car got towed from my driveway via Insuance to the local subaru dealer and it's sitting in there back lot they say.. I work at a dealer, happens to be a toyota dealer and in the parts department.. after talking to some of my coworkers, they wonder If maybe toyota techs could program the key fob I bought. I've read and saw that techstream is used by toyota and was wondering if Subaru brz's really used different immobilizers than the frs since toyota has the frs and 86.. also the subie dealer said the only option I have is for them to remove the 2 modules from the vehicle and ship them out to some Subaru corp that could take a week (I think maybe toyota dealer hence techstream comment) but so that they can clear them so the new key can be reprogrammed, since I don't have a master or anything.

I need help.. any positive comments help., thanks
Invidia N1 Catback w/ Burnt Tips | DC sports overpipe | PLM Catless front pipe | Openflash Performance Tune E85 | Ft86speed UEL decatted header | 20% Tint | Tinted sidemarkers and blacked out side accents | Kazera kzk 18" wheels | Mishimoto CAI tube | 2 8" JBL Subs W/ 800w Rockford Fosgate amp
ReaperBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
Grey86

Drives: Tornato grey 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperBRZ View Post
Here's the situation I'm in... lost my only key (keep in mind this is a push to start manual) while I was riding my motorcycle all over the place when the weather finally broke. Car got towed from my driveway via Insuance to the local subaru dealer and it's sitting in there back lot they say.. I work at a dealer, happens to be a toyota dealer and in the parts department.. after talking to some of my coworkers, they wonder If maybe toyota techs could program the key fob I bought. I've read and saw that techstream is used by toyota and was wondering if Subaru brz's really used different immobilizers than the frs since toyota has the frs and 86.. also the subie dealer said the only option I have is for them to remove the 2 modules from the vehicle and ship them out to some Subaru corp that could take a week (I think maybe toyota dealer hence techstream comment) but so that they can clear them so the new key can be reprogrammed, since I don't have a master or anything.

Not sure if this will work but im sure the dealer ship can make a new key so you can atlease get in the car, but usually when the battery dies in the keyfob you can take the actual key out and hold it next to the push start (from what i remember) maybe by chance you can use just a normal BRZ key with the black tip at the end or the whole key fob and maybe work ???
Grey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:48 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Do you still have the little metal tag with the code for your car on it? They can program from that. If you don't then I understand from previous threads that they will indeed have to send the modules away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey86 View Post
Not sure if this will work but im sure the dealer ship can make a new key so you can atlease get in the car, but usually when the battery dies in the keyfob you can take the actual key out and hold it next to the push start (from what i remember) maybe by chance you can use just a normal BRZ key with the black tip at the end or the whole key fob and maybe work ???
Each fob has a chip that is programmed for just that car. Your method will not work unless the key is programmed.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #4
ReaperBRZ

Garage
[QUOTE=Tcoat;3078941]Do you still have the little metal tag with the code for your car on it? They can program from that. If you don't then I understand from previous threads that they will indeed have to send the modules away.

Yup, don't have the metal tag... anyway I can get the modules and key programmed at my toyota dealer?
Invidia N1 Catback w/ Burnt Tips | DC sports overpipe | PLM Catless front pipe | Openflash Performance Tune E85 | Ft86speed UEL decatted header | 20% Tint | Tinted sidemarkers and blacked out side accents | Kazera kzk 18" wheels | Mishimoto CAI tube | 2 8" JBL Subs W/ 800w Rockford Fosgate amp
Old 04-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
Tcoat

[quote=ReaperBRZ;3079077]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Do you still have the little metal tag with the code for your car on it? They can program from that. If you don't then I understand from previous threads that they will indeed have to send the modules away.

Yup, don't have the metal tag... anyway I can get the modules and key programmed at my toyota dealer?
As I understood the previous threads it has to be done by a Subaru dealer for a BRZ. Nobody really ever explained why very well though.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #6
ReaperBRZ

Garage
[quote=Tcoat;3079079]
Quote:

As I understood the previous threads it has to be done by a Subaru dealer for a BRZ. Nobody really ever explained why very well though.
I want to know why it can't be done at a toyota dealer in detail.. anyone help?
Old 04-29-2018, 07:14 PM   #7
Tcoat

[quote=ReaperBRZ;3079449]
Quote:

@Veloist @trippinbillies40 can either of you guys explain?
Old 04-29-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
Ragin Gti

Drives: '15 Subaru BRZ
Lost both my keys, need help.

You cannot program a new key without a currently programmed key. Period. Parts will need to be removed and shipped to Subaru. They usually ship them back on the same day as arrival or the next morning. They blank the modules so the car will turn on(electronically, engine still won't start) and then the newly purchased keys can be programmed to the blanked modules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ragin Gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #9
Ragin Gti

Drives: '15 Subaru BRZ

Double post
Ragin Gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #10
ReaperBRZ

Garage
But why Not a toyota dealer ?!

[QUOTE=Ragin Gti;3079467]You cannot program a new key without a currently programmed key. Period. Parts will need to be removed and shipped to Subaru. They usually ship them back on the same day as arrival or the next morning. They blank the modules so the car will turn on(electronically, engine still won't start) and then the newly purchased keys can be programmed to the blanked modules.

I know this already.. know ones giving me a direct answer to if they REALLY SEND IT TO SUBARU, everyone in my toyota parts dept. Says they're sending it to a toyota dealer to clear them.. also have read that they need techstream which Subaru doesn't have, only toyota.. WHY CANT I DO THIS AT A TOYOTA DEALER?
Old 04-30-2018, 12:31 PM   #11
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)

In Techstream it's easy to pair a transponder as long as you still have a working one. If you lose all of them then you have to go through another process where Techstream gives you some code which is then given to Toyota and then Toyota gives you a code which you then enter into Techstream which gives it permission to pair the new transponder.

There is also this site which sells unlocks if you aren't a dealer (never tested myself, could be a scam):
https://pin-online.net/

No clue if Techstream will handle all this on a BRZ though.

Last edited by ermax; 04-30-2018 at 11:29 PM.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
ReaperBRZ (05-01-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 11:26 PM   #12
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
[quote=ReaperBRZ;3079449]
Quote:

Not sure why it can't be done on Toyota's end. On Subaru's end, they do go to SOA because of the liability involved in having people at every dealership having the ability to copy keys.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trippinbillies40 For This Useful Post:
ReaperBRZ (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 01:02 AM   #13
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Is all this to make it a pain for car thieves?
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #14
ReaperBRZ

Garage
[quote=trippinbillies40;3080084]
Quote:

Not sure why it can't be done on Toyota's end. On Subaru's end, they do go to SOA because of the liability involved in having people at every dealership having the ability to copy keys.
What's SOA?