follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
domsawww

Drives: 240sx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Talking 4 laps on the Nurburgring!!!

Hey guys. I have the opportunity to go to germany near the end of this month. So as well as going to Octoberfest i have arranged a track day and tour of the infamous Nurburgring. Soo i get to tour around the ring looking at the track and various points of interest and history in a Lotus Exige. A visit to the nurburgring museum. And the crown jewel 4 laps on the rings Nordschleife track (1 lap=12.9 miles), one lap with an instructor. Sadly i couldnt afford to drive the ring in the exige and will have to settle for a Clio Cup car (whatever that is, some fwd hatchback) but i am stocked non the less.

I know my GF and most of my friends have no idea what im talking about when i tell them what im doing so i thought id share it with my fellow enthusiasts. Will post pics when i can.. prob not till i return to the states the first week in october.

(sorry about spelling)

I cant wait to drive a track i have driven in so many video games and seen in so many videos!!
domsawww is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to domsawww For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (09-05-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3025104

My trip there is all in that thread.

Quote:
So, short write up before I post pics and video.

It was AMAZING! I ended up doing 12 laps instead of the planned 4-6 simply because I was having such an awesome time driving. The first 4-5 laps were dry for most of the track and the 2nd half had some damp spots but nothing that made me lift at all. The second half of the day had some decent rain though. I started driving at 9am and from 9-10 the track was virtually empty. There were maybe 10 other cars on track at that point and we were all spread out, I didn't see anyone on my first couple of laps...really perfect conditions.

The car was great. It had Toyo 888's, race pads, braided brake lines and a solid suspension setup. Without those tires and race pads the day would have been much, much less fun. Most of the guys who brought their rented 3 series, or the like could do 1-1.5 laps before their brakes were gone. Renting a track prepped car meant that I could do 3 laps at a time w/o any brake fade and only came in because the tires were getting a little too hot. Keep in mind at that point you're at about 35 miles of straight racing with just a tiny slow down on the main straight to swipe your ring card again. One guy I met that was also renting a Swift took his MS3 on track just to say he did it and his brakes were gone 1/2 way through the course!

In my little, 130hp Swift sport I was easily keeping pace with M3's and a couple of the Porsches that were there. On my last lap I actually had to slow down twice because a Z4 and an M5 were holding me up and not letting me pass. I know many of you suggested that I rent something with more power, but honestly a smaller car with upgraded brakes and semi-slick tires could hang with most other things on the track that day. There was a Mini Cooper S that was all over a Ferrari 599 every time they passed me.

The fastest cars on track when I was on were a GTI, a Mini Cooper S, and a GT3 RS which was a full blown race car. The other thing is that many of the M3's and Porsches that I was hanging with were at 7-8/10 because 1. It was a little wet most of the day, 2. They were driving their own cars which were not really track prepped, 3. They had to drive home. So hanging with an M3 in a Swift wasn't specifically a victory of any sorts, but I spent WAY less money renting a Swift and ended up being just as fast or faster than the majority of the cars on track.

Crashes. Oh, there were crashes. The first victim the Green Hell claimed was a beautiful early 90's, mint condition, black Porsche 911. Back end came out after a corner and he continued into the barrier. Head down I saw him walking in the grass on his cell phone totally dejected. He was on maybe his 2nd lap. After that the cars I saw in the wall were:

E36 M3 Sedan
Rental GTI
New Audi TT
E36 M3 Coupe

Those cars all took serious damage and wouldn't be driving home. I was on the tail of a yellow/black TT ("tuner graphics") in the first part of Hatzenbach that went in too hot in the rain and slid off and then he let me pass and I didn't see him after a couple corners. I think he was a bit shaken. There were a few offs where you could see tire marks, but no impact marks.

I drove from 9-2pm usually in 2-3 lap segments, stopping for lunch at the diner there, and getting a 1/2 tank of fuel once out on the main road.

Costs:

Gas: $120 (15 gallons @ $8/gal)
Track tickets: $408 (12 @ $34/lap)
Car rental: $375 (Rental of the car from 9-5, full insurance coverage included).
Hotel: $78 (stayed at the Tiergarten)
Rental car + Gas from Darmstadt to Nurburg: $215 (two day rental of a Ford C-Max from Avis)

These are just the costs added to any normal trip you are on (assuming you didn't rent a car). It's not cheap, at all.

Final I'll note that throughout the day I kept hearing about the "fastest man on track" and how he would likely show up at some point on opening day. He's 65, and drives a track prepped VW Polo, on the public days he is almost always the fastest guy around, wished I would have seen him.
If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

-Jacob
b.e (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #3
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds awesome, one day I too will be on that track ... one day ..
and have fun in Deutschland!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
domsawww

Thanks Bonburner!

Superhatch your write up is really good and i loved the pictures in the thread. I went with a co. called RSR they had a package that i liked. I was originally wanting to drive some sort of fancy sport car and was looking at prices for that and found them to be really high. I stumbled across there website and found what they call the First Timers Package.

I get to trive an exotic Lotus Exige while we tour the track and a experienced ring vet gives tips on corners and driving the ring. I get a guided tour of the Rings museum. And of course the 4 laps on the ring. One of the major selling points was that for my first lap an instructor will ride along and help point out lines, as well as braking and turn in points.

I have done some Karting and consider myself an above average driver... but this will be my first time on a track in a car, so the instructor was a huge plus and well worth the price for this package (expensive lol). And im sure its going to be a humbling experience where i realize im not nearly as good a driver as i hoped i was. LOL

Too bad u cant rent a 86!!
Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
domsawww

Specs on the car ill be driving and a pic

RenaultSport Clio Cup

This lightweight, high-performance hot hatch is perfect for your first time around the track, or attacking with multiple laps!
Specifications
Engine: Inline 4, 2 litre
Output: 200hp, 215Nm
Weight: 1204 kg
Type: Front-engined, Front wheel drive
Steering: Left hand drive & Right hand drive
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
Superhatch
AIM4APX

I've got a solid amount of track time, and have done track days at most of the major tracks in the US. The Ring is by far the best track I've ever been on. You will be surprised at how quickly you will settle into the lines of the course. One of the interesting things is that no matter how many times you drive it in GT5 you are only using two inputs to build memory, finger touch, and sight. When you are actually on track you will be using sight, sound, smells, and Gforces to build memory. This said GT5 won't help you much to get ready...but when you get back and play GT5 you will know the track like the back of your hand. :P

If you are only going to have 3 laps on your own, I'd say drive two to get a feel of the track, then get out on your third lap and try and knock it out. If you can pay for extra laps, be ready to do so...you won't want to stop driving.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
domsawww

Ya i understand what ur saying. Nothing like being there!! I hope I am satisfied with my 4 laps not sure if i will be able to purchase more or even have time to do them. Im going on moday and the track is only open for a few hours for driving. But overall i am just looking for the experience and have a lot planned for the 10 days im in europe so anytime on this track will just be icing on the cake.

I noticed the Applebees like place in ur thread is there any bars or hang out places i should note besides this place?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #8
ft86Fan

Drives: FR-S, Exige S, Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've always wanted to go to the Ring. Wonder if there are any interests here for someone to organize a group trip to the Ring next year.
ft86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
domsawww

Ive hurd of other forums organizing such things. I know the company im using RSR has like a trainging class on the SPA gt track at nurburg with the Lotus Exige. Im sure they would do a group deal or something.

Quote:
I've always wanted to go to the Ring. Wonder if there are any interests here for someone to organize a group trip to the Ring next year.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Quote:
Originally Posted by domsawww View Post
I noticed the Applebees like place in ur thread is there any bars or hang out places i should note besides this place?
Nurburg has a bunch of restaurants and bars and all of them are equally cool. Pick one you like and hop in for a bite/drink!