follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List
jpit

Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #1247
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
You and me both I am planning on the nameless headers, nameless over/down pipe combo with high-flow cat and probably the hemholtz..... I'm still undecided on the catback.. I'm worried the perrin with be too loud with the headers and the invidia q300 will be too restrictive... and the ISIS is already louder than the resonated perrin but quieter than the non-resonated perrin

I'm gonna talk to jason next week about the catted over/down combo and the offset axleback to see what he has to say about the volume and if they have tested any other full catbacks with the front pipe.
I have this. VERY live-able. Idles quietly. Sounds great when you mash the skinny pedal. Does NOT drone.

Edit: I should note I have the optional Helmholtz in the downpipe.

Last edited by OrbitalEllipses; 02-16-2013 at 11:22 PM.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
LeeMaster (02-17-2013), mad_sb (02-16-2013), Sportsguy83 (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #1248
balance

Drives: 86 & Picanto
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nameless, How about some pictures of this fantastic header?

Regarding the mid-range torque/power dip, here is what the chief engineer, Mr. Tetsuya Tada had to say in a recent interview with the Japanese car magazine "Revspeed";

-The torque dip has been set up intentionally-

Although it is technologically removable, removing the dip would only worsen the booming noise reducing the fun. Instead, we rather focused on the efficient and lively delivery of peak power. Conversely, if you drive the car below the dip sector, you get a very good gas mileage. We have been getting positive feedback from the customers that they are able to get close to the advertised gas mileage of '13 Km/Liter' when they use the car for commuting purposes.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #1249
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post

Regarding the mid-range torque/power dip, here is what the chief engineer, Mr. Tetsuya Tada had to say in a recent interview with the Japanese car magazine "Revspeed";

Although it is technologically removable, removing the dip would only worsen the booming noise reducing the fun. Instead, we rather focused on the efficient and lively delivery of peak power. Conversely, if you drive the car below the dip sector, you get a very good gas mileage. We have been getting positive feedback from the customers that they are able to get close to the advertised gas mileage of '13 Km/Liter' when they use the car for commuting purposes.

Got a link?
Wonder if this indicates that the dip is due to both software and hardware (headers)?
Old 02-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #1250
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
That is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. What were they thinking? This is a sports car I don't want a 15-20 ftlbs drop in the middle of my power band so that I can have less "booming" and slightly better gas mileage.

This dip is an abomination and if I had seen a dyno before buying the car I seriously question if I would have bought it right away. I've had an hpde instructor drive the car on the track and say "whats up with the power kill in the mid rpm range? Feels like fuel cut or something."

/rant over
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #1251
balance

No link; I did word-to-word translation of what's written on the magazine copy I bought in Japan a few weeks ago. Don't worry, I'm pretty fluent in Japanese.

Knowing the virtue of indirectness of Japanese language and culture, I think that he was trying to allude that there is not much to gain by removing the dip.
The Following User Says Thank You to balance For This Useful Post:
LeeMaster (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #1252
balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
That is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. What were they thinking? This is a sports car I don't want a 15-20 ftlbs drop in the middle of my power band so that I can have less "booming" and slightly better gas mileage.

This dip is an abomination and if I had seen a dyno before buying the car I seriously question if I would have bought it right away. I've had an hpde instructor drive the car on the track and say "whats up with the power kill in the mid rpm range? Feels like fuel cut or something."

/rant over
I feel ya. But, not everyone redlines the car at every opportunity there is. If there is not much to gain by removing the dip and more to gain in the way it currently is in perspective, then the dip may be justifiable.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #1253
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post

Dyno kind of shows the exact opposite, though.

Shit-ton of low-end torque (for a 2.0L NA), normal torque in the 'dip', a nice flat mid-high shelf, then drops rapidly over 7k.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #1254
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbradley View Post
Here is an example of what I am talking about with the torque "regression" as someone called it-

No other changes other than a second pull. The first pull (blue) is immediately following a flash, the red following that. The advance mulitplier was lower on the blue which explains most of it, but additive timing kept the over all timing within a degree. If the dip was limited to that amount every pull then you would never know what was going on unless you were being picky.
Shot in the dark #2:

Can you log EGTs on the car?

There was talk in the D4-S thread that the ECU will try to control/change fuel/ignition strategy to adjust EGT to preserve the catalyst. Could be in the unknown maps, maybe?

EGT can affect the local speed of sound which will simulate header length changes. And this looks like a 'shift' that we see in the headers that slightly change lengths from factory.

Because titanium.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
Calum (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 05:45 PM   #1255
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
No factory EGT sensor, therefore no way for the ECU to monitor EGT and adjust based on it.. Regardless, if it were adjusting you would see it in the final logged values, assuming the parameters being logged are the final values after compensations etc. Only EcuTek can comment on if the logged timing values are the final values.

Again, JB stated this is not something that changes over time. 1st run, dip tuned out, second run through n_th run dip is back but with the same peak power and torque numbers.

I'm starting to think it is hitting a torque limit but not setting a code.. I assume if you pull the negative cable to reset the ecu without doing a reflash.. the power wold return for the first run after the reset. The Rom does have calculated torque tables that are not part of the DBW setup so i would assume there is a torque limit table as well. I'll PM JB and see if he tried lower the calculated torque tables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Shot in the dark #2:

Can you log EGTs on the car?

There was talk in the D4-S thread that the ECU will try to control/change fuel/ignition strategy to adjust EGT to preserve the catalyst. Could be in the unknown maps, maybe?

EGT can affect the local speed of sound which will simulate header length changes. And this looks like a 'shift' that we see in the headers that slightly change lengths from factory.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #1256
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
No factory EGT sensor, therefore no way for the ECU to monitor EGT and adjust based on it.. Regardless, if it were adjusting you would see it in the final logged values, assuming the parameters being logged are the final values after compensations etc. Only EcuTek can comment on if the logged timing values are the final values.

Again, JB stated this is not something that changes over time. 1st run, dip tuned out, second run through n_th run dip is back but with the same peak power and torque numbers.

I'm starting to think it is hitting a torque limit but not setting a code.. I assume if you pull the negative cable to reset the ecu without doing a reflash.. the power wold return for the first run after the reset. The Rom does have calculated torque tables that are not part of the DBW setup so i would assume there is a torque limit table as well. I'll PM JB and see if he tried lower the calculated torque tables.
If you look at the 'regression', though it's not all loss. A tune that can keep the low-end increase from ~2600-3200 rpm from the second (red graph) run and the 3200-3900 increase (blue graph) from the first, it would be amazing.

But it is a somewhat symmetric gain/loss which seems a lot like wave effects. If, hypothetically, it were acoustics causing it, it would be from either changing the distance the wave travels (header/exhaust lengths which hasn't changed) or changing the wave speed (temperature changes local speed of sound, which could change).

The EGT could be extrapolated from O2, known fuel, and ignition on a table?

Edit: Also cams, though you mentioned they can log target and actual positions so this could be ruled out.
An actual EGT log could be handy.

@arghx7 is the guy that mentioned the catalyst protection strategy. Also a really smart guy and any insight he could offer would be appreciated.

Because titanium.

Last edited by Dimman; 02-17-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Edit.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #1257
mad_sb

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quote:
If you look at the 'regression', though it's not all loss. A tune that can keep the low-end increase from ~2600-3200 rpm from the second (red graph) run and the 3200-3900 increase (blue graph) from the first, it would be amazing.
For sure. I think the dip in the first place is a result of both factory tuning and stock compromises in the intake and exhaust design. I believe Nameless can build a header that eliminates the dip with proper tuning.. that is why I have money burning a hole in my wallet

Quote:
The EGT could be extrapolated from O2, known fuel, and ignition on a table?

Edit: Also cams, though you mentioned they can log target and actual positions so this could be ruled out.
An actual EGT log could be handy.

@arghx7 is the guy that mentioned the catalyst protection strategy. Also a really smart guy and any insight he could offer would be appreciated.
For sure the factory mapping is based in some part on catalyst life.. However, I don't believe the OEM would attempt to implement a feedback loop without the ability to monitor the desired target directly. I could be completely wrong though.

I guess my whole point is, we don't really need to speculate. The parameters that could change to affect the power output are all log gable (again assuming ecutek is logging final, or output to say it another way, values). Once we can identify what changes from the 1st run to the subsequent runs we can figure out why it changed.

I'm sure @johnbradley will get a handle on it in short order and we will all be able to enjoy a fat torque curve and great gains across the rev range.

In the mean time we should start a pool on what the actual culprit is. My money is on either cam timing or a torque limit that ecutek has removed the CEL for.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #1258
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Garage
Quote:
For sure. I think the dip in the first place is a result of both factory tuning and stock compromises in the intake and exhaust design. I believe Nameless can build a header that eliminates the dip with proper tuning.. that is why I have money burning a hole in my wallet

For sure the factory mapping is based in some part on catalyst life.. However, I don't believe the OEM would attempt to implement a feedback loop without the ability to monitor the desired target directly. I could be completely wrong though.

I guess my whole point is, we don't really need to speculate. The parameters that could change to affect the power output are all log gable (again assuming ecutek is logging final, or output to say it another way, values). Once we can identify what changes from the 1st run to the subsequent runs we can figure out why it changed.

I'm sure @johnbradley will get a handle on it in short order and we will all be able to enjoy a fat torque curve and great gains across the rev range.

In the mean time we should start a pool on what the actual culprit is. My money is on either cam timing or a torque limit that ecutek has removed the CEL for.
Cam timing is my first guess, as well.

But the high-low 'reverse' is strange. I would have expected the first run to be all high, if it were only cam timing, though.

Personally, I think the Hydra EMS may be a better tuning tool for parts development if it bypasses the stock ECU for engine control because it's looking like Ecutek's incomplete map definitions is interfering with hard parts R&D.

Because titanium.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #1259
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

But the high-low 'reverse' is strange. I would have expected the first run to be all high, if it were only cam timing, though.

Personally, I think the Hydra EMS may be a better tuning tool for parts development if it bypasses the stock ECU for engine control because it's looking like Ecutek's incomplete map definitions is interfering with hard parts R&D.
@Element Tuning could chime in on Hydra EMS. I'd be interested to see what his tuning looks like though I have no interest in a standalone at this time.

Edit: Weird I thought Phil was a member here.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #1260
Fenrir

Drives: Mazdaspeed 3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Doubt it'll be an option, because of:

"In partnership with Element Tuning and Hydra EMS will be offering the Toyota FRS/Subaru BRZ PNP Nemesis 2.7 unit for an extremely low introductory price of $1899, a savings of more than $500! Starting April 1st, 2013, pricing on this model will retail for $2400."

Not many people are going to spend that kind of cash on engine management for these cars. I understand there's benefits for R&D, but most people who get this header and a tune are going with ECUtek, so it doesn't make sense to tell your customers "You'll need to drop an extra $2,400 if you want this part to work properly."

Like OrbitalEllipses said though, there might be something to learn comparing methods between the two.
Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21 months no dyno, 22 months no vendor dyno, 22months4rattles&leakssmh, amazing warped qualiy, y u no tag