follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2018, 02:24 PM   #155
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3000 View Post
the KBB value of my '13 with 125k miles is only $6000. That's the same as a 2012 Camry. lol
6K!?! Sounds like a deal. I'll even give you $1000 over asking. Where can we meet?
TorontoNat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #156
Coachrhino11

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Way to take that personal.
Not at all, just stating a fact.
Coachrhino11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:35 PM   #157
TorontoNat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW FRS View Post
Maybe with longevity (age) comes some perspective.... but I never cease to wonder why people think that cars are supposed to hold value (i.e., high value) if the used vehicle falls into the category of "normal use." Unless a rig is unique (Nissan GTR, Lexus LFA, etc.) - and in most cases - low mileage (use), the expected percentage of depreciation is going to occur.

I understand that people work hard... try to spend their hard-earned dollars wisely and prudently... but for 99% of new car sales... this is not a case of "investing" money for some type of higher-than-normal return. Most cars are simply a mass-produced commodity that looses value as newer models are injected into the marketplace.
I absolutely agree and never understood why some people want their production cars to behave like an amazon share 10 years ago... Specially this car which should be purchased as nothing else but a toy.

that being said. I guaranty that a low mi, stock, well maintained Release series in 20 years will be worth more than the initial 30K but those are few and far between and really... Who's going to buy a special edition twin and not drive it for ten years?
Old 02-22-2018, 02:42 PM   #158
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yo fam, can you hook me up with an S7 too? I can be everything your wife is and more.
Can't afford two wives and 2 kids.

I'm already considered one of the poorest on my block where I live.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:45 PM   #159
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachrhino11 View Post
Not at all, just stating a fact.
Then why say anything like this:

Quote:
Most who talk s*** about mall crawlers are just jealous because they can’t afford a bad ass Jeep.
Don't be upset by a generalisation if it doesn't apply to you lol.

And news flash, at least here in Canada a brand new base model Wrangler is the same price as a brand new base 86/BRZ, you should probably go back to your superior Jeep forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #160
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
Can't afford two wives and 2 kids.

I'm already considered one of the poorest on my block where I live.
Has S7, is considered poor. Man wtf. Am I the poor of the poor then? Does such a thing exist?!
Old 02-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #161
TorontoNat

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post

"What can I get for $XXX/month and trading in my car?" is probably uttered a frightening amount of the time.
Man I need to stop selling ad space and start selling cars it seems.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #162
TorontoNat

Quote:
Jeep Wranglers are right there with Tacoma’s on resale. My buddy just traded his 2014 in and got more in trade than he paid, not kidding, trade. They hold 80% value at 5 years, don’t care what Edmonds says, it’s what market says and where I live they pay it for Jeeps, reason I bought mine new and have no regrets, used was ridiculous.
Do you even scion?

Jks Jks all are welcome here but still.. no one cares about jeep wranglers or their resale price... They drive shitty and that's all we care about.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #163
ST185RC

Drives: White Out FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Has S7, is considered poor. Man wtf. Am I the poor of the poor then? Does such a thing exist?!
poorest on my block. it's relative. people rolling around in 200K g-wagons with a big B for brabus on the front. dunno how they get their money but chances are it ain't the legit kind of laundry they're doing.
ST185RC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ST185RC For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (02-22-2018), Tcoat (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #164
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
I absolutely agree and never understood why some people want their production cars to behave like an amazon share 10 years ago... Specially this car which should be purchased as nothing else but a toy.

that being said. I guaranty that a low mi, stock, well maintained Release series in 20 years will be worth more than the initial 30K but those are few and far between and really... Who's going to buy a special edition twin and not drive it for ten years?
Why should it be purchased as nothing else but a toy? It is just a car the same as any other one out there when you boil it down to the basics. Mine is not a toy in any way shape or form. It is a workhorse that gets me around that get's played with sometimes but not a toy.

If you count inflation, cost of upkeep and storage the RS 2 would probably have to sell for around $80K to be "more" than the initial $30K. I don't see that happening. Ever.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:38 PM   #165
Coachrhino11

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Then why say anything like this:

Don't be upset by a generalisation if it doesn't apply to you lol.

And news flash, at least here in Canada a brand new base model Wrangler is the same price as a brand new base 86/BRZ, you should probably go back to your superior Jeep forum.
Hey, I thought you and I were good? Guess not. You always want to talk smack. Let’s see that base Jeep vs. 86/BRZ resale 5-10 years, lol. I just did, not pretty.
Coachrhino11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #166
TorontoNat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Why should it be purchased as nothing else but a toy? It is just a car the same as any other one out there when you boil it down to the basics. Mine is not a toy in any way shape or form. It is a workhorse that gets me around that get's played with sometimes but not a toy.
Well yes and no. I think you could have bought a worthy workhorse for much less than an 86 however.. You chose to make your driving time more enjoyable and got the 86. Maybe "nothing but" was too strong wording. I see that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If you count inflation, cost of upkeep and storage the RS 2 would probably have to sell for around $80K to be "more" than the initial $30K. I don't see that happening. Ever.
I agree it's still not a worthy investment however: Not counting extra storage cost and upkeep I do tihnk the value of these will increase significantly. I don't think inflation will affect niche commodities (like these will become) that much, if at all. We can all agree that these will become cult classics.. combine that with all the electric/assisted.. all around not driver focused cars that will be coming out in 20 years and these may just be some of the last Front engine, manual, RWD, gas powered Sports cars we will ever see... That is sometihng special and it could be worth a shit ton to somebody down the road.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #167
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST185RC View Post
poorest on my block. it's relative. people rolling around in 200K g-wagons with a big B for brabus on the front. dunno how they get their money but chances are it ain't the legit kind of laundry they're doing.
Not sure why people still buy G-wagons tbh. It seems to be a rich people fad. And I know what you mean about how these people get their money lol, they typically come from another country, and if you're from the GTA, Markham is full of these people.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #168
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNat View Post
Well yes and no. I think you could have bought a worthy workhorse for much less than an 86 however.. You chose to make your driving time more enjoyable and got the 86. Maybe "nothing but" was too strong wording. I see that now.

I agree it's still not a worthy investment however: Not counting extra storage cost and upkeep I do tihnk the value of these will increase significantly. I don't think inflation will affect niche commodities (like these will become) that much, if at all. We can all agree that these will become cult classics.. combine that with all the electric/assisted.. all around not driver focused cars that will be coming out in 20 years and these may just be some of the last Front engine, manual, RWD, gas powered Sports cars we will ever see... That is sometihng special and it could be worth a shit ton to somebody down the road.
The reality of the matter is that the majority of these cars are bought by people just using them as a car. Most of the people on this forum are the exception not the rule.

Nah still don't see it becoming a huge classic. Never really know until it hits though. Most of the cars that get the good money are ones that guys wanted but couldn't afford when they were young. These are affordable so not so hard to get. There will be the secondary group of guys that owned one back 20 years ago and want to be nostalgic but that is always a smaller market. As far as new drivers 30 years from now go they will probably have never even known these existed and be totally oblivious as to the merits.
The "collector" market is fickle at best and that makes predictions almost impossible.