follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #155
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks for making this thread. I've been away from the game for a while but looking to get back into HPDE on a monthly basis.

What's the best option in brake pads and brake fluid to combine with an entirely stock BRZ with stock tires?

Longevity and peace of mind are my primary concern.

Last time I had the FR-S, I ran with DS2500's and Motul RBF600... Was very happy, unless someone advises otherwise...

Please feel free to quote a post, I'm sure this has been brought up or asked already somewhere.

Thank you kindly for any assistance possible.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:02 PM   #156
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Brake Pad Manufacturer: Carbotech XP10
Caliper: OEM
Rotor Size: OEM
Compound: ?
Tires: 225/45/17 RE11A
Brake fluid: Motul RBF 600

This is my second set of these. I had to buy another set because the first set I ran with OEM tires and they wore uneven. I attribute it to not lubricating the contact point in the OEM caliper. For this set I frequently lubed with silicone paste and have even wear on them.

I really like these pads. If you don't mind street noise they are great on and off track. But by the time back from track they are squealing so that's up to you.

Never had a soft pedal with these pads and fluid but the fluid turns dark after a few track days. I ran 5 days on OEM tires and did a bleed. After the 3 days with RE11A the fluid already darkening.

I just installed a AP Racing Sprint kit and bought another set. I have 5 track days line up so I'll be able to post another review in early november with that kit.

Scores:
Dusting: n/a can't tell I only drive to track and back on them, I wash track wheels after each event

Cold bite: 10, makes stock pads feel like you need to bleed brakes

Hot bite: not enough experience to rate

Modulation: not enough experience to rate

Noise: 2 on street, squeal after transfer layer wears off which is by the time you get home from track day
9 on track, no noise on track, makes abrasive sound at low speed paddock

Pad Lifespan: 3 days on them (6 hours) looks like they have 1 day in them, probably take a wheel off and check them after second and third session of 4th day

Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? no

Brake ducts: no
Old 10-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #157
acj47

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Brake Pad Manufacturer: Hawk
Caliper: OEM
Rotor Size: OEM
Pad Compound: DTC-60
Tires: 245/40/17 Hankook R-S3
Brake fluid: ATE Super Blue

This is my first set of track compound pads for the BRZ. Once properly bedded, "street" noise was hardly noticeable driving to/from the track, only a slight squeal when coming to a stop with very light pedal pressure. The pads have a huge amount of bite, and after 2 days at the track I still felt like I wasn't using the full potential of the pad and I should be braking later and harder.

Scores:
Dusting: (1=low-10=high) 7, a lot more dust than OEM pads, although I have nothing to compare to for track pads
Cold bite: (1=low-10=high) 5, ok, but much better when hot
Hot bite: (1=low-10=high) 10, incredible
Modulation: (1=low-10=high) 8, great, the harder you brake the faster they slow you down
Noise: (1=extremely loud-10=quiet) 5, they squeal with light braking en route to/from the track, none while on the track and hard braking
Pad Lifespan: (1=short=10=long) ?, too early to tell, i've only had 2 track days on them
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? (Y/N) N, not that I have seen yet
Brake ducts: (Y/N) Y, APR kit

Last edited by acj47; 10-17-2014 at 03:18 PM.
acj47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acj47 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-17-2014), renfield90 (10-17-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 05:44 PM   #158
hachi roku [86]

Drives: Toyota GT86, Mazda MX-5 NB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Run Ferodo DS2500 in front only and both front and rear configuration.

Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Ferodo / OEM and Ferodo / Ferodo
Caliper (F/R): OEM
Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): OEM
Compound (F/R): DS2500 / OEM and DS2500 / DS2500
Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sport 215/45 R17

Great pads for medium to frequent track use. Massive improvement over OEM pads.

Very difficult to impossible to bed-in on a public road. You need to generate quite some heat and maintain it for a while, applying the brakes consistently. So the first week before the track day they were very noisy as well. That goes away after proper bedding, and I was actually surprised how quiet they become later.

Beware: cold bite seems to be worse than with the OEM pads, which you have to remember using them daily.

With DS2500 in the front and OEM pads in the rear I found there was not enough balance. Trail braking would rather result in ABS start working in the front before any rotation happens at the rear. Especially with OEM tires (which I also had for a short while) there was not enough grip in the front compared to how much the brakes can do and the front would just drift out. With DS2500 both in the front and rear, trail braking became easy, and the ABS doesn't go crazy as well.

Pads lifespan is pretty good. The pads on the front lasted for four track days and two autoX events. However there is impact on OEM rotors: apparently, DS2500 can withstand much higher temperatures than the OEM rotors, which led to front rotors covered with a kind of "web" - not structural cracks, but some impact on the surface (can post pictures later). The rotors are still fine, but will probably have shorter life.

Overall very happy

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 3
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 4
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 8
Modulation (1=low-10=high): 5 with front only and 8 with front and rear
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 9 (after bedding properly)
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): 7
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? N
Brake ducts: N
hachi roku [86] is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hachi roku [86] For This Useful Post:
Keenercarguy (11-06-2016)
Old 10-17-2014, 10:29 PM   #159
connorlug

Drives: #1553 10 Series FRS
Thanks to CSG for these

Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Winmax W4 Fronts, OEM rear
Caliper (F/R): OEM
Compound (F/R): W4
Tires: 255/35/18 Federal RS-R
Brake Fluid: Torque RT700

Super happy with these pads, had them on today for my first track day, great pedal feel, experienced absolutely no fade even with some heavy braking sections. They make some very light noise when lightly applying the brakes but it's not annoying at all. Very, very happy with them.

Scores:
Dusting (1=low-10=high): 4
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 8
Modulation (1=low-10=high): 6
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 9
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): (estimate/actual) Cannot comment yet.
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? (Y/N)No
Brake ducts: (Y/N)No
connorlug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to connorlug For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-17-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #160
Krispeee

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Winmax F/R
Compound (F/R): W4
Tires: 245/40/17 Hankook V12 Evo 2
Brake Fluid: Motul RBF600

Thanks to @CSG Mike for helping me choose a pad that would work best for me. These brake pads were amazing this past weekend as I did not experience any fade during my (4) 20 minute sessions. After bedding them in, I've encountered minimal noise during city driving, with light squeals during track duty.

Scores:
Dusting (1=low-10=high): 5
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 9
Modulation (1=low-10=high): 7
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 8
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): (estimate/actual) TBD
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? (Y/N )No
Brake ducts: (Y/N) No
Krispeee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Krispeee For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-27-2014)
Old 11-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #161
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Brake Pad Manufacturer (F/R): Project Mu
Caliper (F/R): Essex Sprint kit front (AP CP8350), stock rear
Rotor Size (F/R - IE OEM or specify): Essex Sprint kit front (basically stock diameter), stock rear
Compound (F/R): 999 front and rear
Tires: Hmm good question, 225/45/17 Rivals and/or 235/40/17 AD08

I bought these from @CSG Mike awhile ago but completely forgot to post this review. Sorry about that guys These pads remind me of the CL RC6E I normally run but with a little more pad wear compared to the RC6E. The 6E is an endurance pad though so that's to be expected. These do have more initial bite than the RC6E but it's not crazy high (I don't love pads with a massive amount of initial bite anymore). The pads are not squishy/soft, they feel like sintered pads (I'm not sure if they are). They were able to take some serious heat as I did try to push them beyond their limits but they turned out to be *very* consistent from lap 1 to the end of a 45 minute session. They break away from the rotor very smoothly (something I also love about the RC6E) when you lift, unlike some of the other pads I've used on this car (cough cough C300..). Due to the firm pedal and consistency these pads provide a good level of confidence in the brakes, and with the Essex Sprint kit I don't see these overheating or failing under any remotely reasonable usage. They are a bit costly, but they are fantastic pads and I'd suggest a set to anyone who is looking for a brake pad that can take some serious heat while staying consistent in behavior and feel. Like the CL RC6e they also didn't crumble as much as the AP C300s. Dust washed off easily enough and pad consumption wasn't terrible. Noise on the street is unbearable but that's common with these brakes and high end track pads.

Overall a great track pad IMO.

Scores:
Dusting (1=high-10=low): 5
Cold bite (1=low-10=high): 7
Hot bite (1=low-10=high): 9
Modulation (1=low-10=high): 10
Noise (1=extremely loud-10=quiet): 2 on the street, 8 on the track - I can never keep these high temp pads bedded in on the street.
Pad Lifespan (1=short-10=long): 8/unknown as I've only used ~3mm of pad in 3 days of usage (estimate/actual)
Does the brake dust with this combination damage the wheels/paint if not cleaned immediately? (Y/N) N, although it didn't sit for all that long
Brake ducts: (Y/N) N
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-10-2014)
Old 01-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #162
all_aboard

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Hi Everyone, I need to buy break pads for the track. My FRS is now only used for track days, and I have about 14 more to go this year. I just did MRLS, and stock is just not cutting it anymore.

I have two friends. One drifts for scion/toyota, one is an NCAA champ and has been racing for 20 years. They both have two different opinions:

1. Drift friend: He said, "Hp Plus or any of the blues ones"
from here: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brand.jsp?brand=Hawk
**Here's the link of choices only for FRS: http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...3&autoModClar=
So looks like the "blue ones" are not an option here.

2. Race Friend: He said, "Carbotech F: XP8 and R: AX6"
from here: http://ctbrakes.com/pads.asp

I have absolutely no idea which to choose. But I need these ASAP. I have read a lot of the posts, and I don't seem to see anything specific about this combo from carbotech and I don't know enough about break pads to analyze the difference between the two and say which is better.

My purpose for these breaks are track days only, not really drifting. I may do that once or twice this year, but tracking is my thing.

Thanks for help and input you smart knowledgeable car people
all_aboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #163
BatStig
Some say.....

Drives: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The twins get upset with staggered compounds. Use the same front and rear.

I love my Carbotechs. XP10s for the last 3 seasons. Going to XP12 this year unless I bite the bullet and get myself an Essex Sprint BBK
BatStig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BatStig For This Useful Post:
all_aboard (01-14-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #164
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've got some Project MU HC+ on order, I don't see many people if any posting how they like them so far, anyone else have anything to chime in with?
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZZZZZZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
acro (02-07-2015), all_aboard (01-14-2015)
Old 01-13-2015, 11:04 PM   #165
blue cat

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZZZZZZZZZZ View Post
I've got some Project MU HC+ on order, I don't see many people if any posting how they like them so far, anyone else have anything to chime in with?
I really liked them for track performance. I've only tried stock and then these. Dusting and noise are an issue for street use afterwards, needs regular rebedding.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:35 PM   #166
acro

Drives: GT-86
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Great set of pads works very well on track and are excellent on the street. Definitely worthy
acro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acro For This Useful Post:
all_aboard (01-14-2015), BRZZZZZZZZZZ (01-14-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #167
Cartman

Drives: 10 Series Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I had HC+800 on mine... Hated them, and they ate my rotors like the cookie monster eats cookies...
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cartman For This Useful Post:
all_aboard (02-07-2015), BRZZZZZZZZZZ (02-07-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #168
GotMunchies?

Drives: '14 WRB BRZ 6MT Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Does anyone have a preferred source for OEM rotor blanks? Would be nice to find a cheaper alternative to running down the local dealership.
GotMunchies? is offline   Reply With Quote