follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #99
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
Mine showed up yesterday. Might be a little while before I install it though. Got a ton of mods backed up and waiting to go on.
Photos?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #100
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Photos?
I'll see what I can do.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #101
lordtakuban

Drives: 2013 FRS - Whiteout
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
haha. Pics or it didn't happen.

I've been interested in this mod too. I'll likely be buying mine from Japan Parts. For those that keep asking what the holes are for up top... Those holes are there in the event that the duct gets submerged or becomes blocked by water. It's in the literature for the part on HKS' site, I believe.

I also have the TRD intake and I am looking forward to seeing what this mod does. I might even dyno the differences. That will depend on timing and availability and other life stuff though. And I haven't even ordered one yet. I'll probably wait until they are more "in-stock" at places.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #102
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,519 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtakuban View Post

I've been interested in this mod too. I'll likely be buying mine from Japan Parts. For those that keep asking what the holes are for up top... Those holes are there in the event that the duct gets submerged or becomes blocked by water. It's in the literature for the part on HKS' site, I believe.

I also have the TRD intake and I am looking forward to seeing what this mod does. I might even dyno the differences. That will depend on timing and availability and other life stuff though. And I haven't even ordered one yet. I'll probably wait until they are more "in-stock" at places.
I doubt it'll do anything power-wise. I'm just expecting an increase in sound from the blower.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #103
lordtakuban

Quote:
I doubt it'll do anything power-wise. I'm just expecting an increase in sound from the blower.
Based on @Anorexic 86 post, I am looking to see if it helps out the upper range. And if not, at least it will be known. I am not as concerned with the peak number as I am with the smoothness of the graph and to see where it might help gain/lose power.

I think HKS is still back ordered on these for a while. So, it will be months before I even have the part and/or do any sort of dyno testing.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #104
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Based on @Anorexic 86 post, I am looking to see if it helps out the upper range. And if not, at least it will be known. I am not as concerned with the peak number as I am with the smoothness of the graph and to see where it might help gain/lose power.

I think HKS is still back ordered on these for a while. So, it will be months before I even have the part and/or do any sort of dyno testing.
I doubt it will get much increase in power. You might see some gains but you cant replicate driving the car 60-80 mph with just a dyno fan which is when the mods like this are at there best.

Syms has a vendor dyno on there intake duct that is slightly larger than the HKS duct and it got like +7 or 8 whp and 9-10 wtq. They are vendor dyno's so take it with a grain of salt but I could see 7 or 8 whp possible if you use a drop in filter with the duct which is likely what was done when it was dyno'd.

If you do dyno it do it with the oem air filter and an aftermarket drop in. Aftermarket drop ins typically get 5~ whp so to see if this duct will increase it to 6-8 means it would perform just as well as an AFE intake or any other intake as they all get basically the same results unless its an Airaid lmao.

I would choose this mod over any other intake mod just because it retains the stock air box. Shouldnt mess with things that already work well and only improve it if you can, and in this case that would be changing the snorkel which is the most restrictive part of the air box.
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #105
lordtakuban

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sizzle View Post
I doubt it will get much increase in power. You might see some gains but you cant replicate driving the car 60-80 mph with just a dyno fan which is when the mods like this are at there best.

Syms has a vendor dyno on there intake duct that is slightly larger than the HKS duct and it got like +7 or 8 whp and 9-10 wtq. They are vendor dyno's so take it with a grain of salt but I could see 7 or 8 whp possible if you use a drop in filter with the duct which is likely what was done when it was dyno'd.

If you do dyno it do it with the oem air filter and an aftermarket drop in. Aftermarket drop ins typically get 5~ whp so to see if this duct will increase it to 6-8 means it would perform just as well as an AFE intake or any other intake as they all get basically the same results unless its an Airaid lmao.

I would choose this mod over any other intake mod just because it retains the stock air box. Shouldnt mess with things that already work well and only improve it if you can, and in this case that would be changing the snorkel which is the most restrictive part of the air box.
I already have the TRD intake on the car now. I'll have to see what kind of time I have and availability of the dyno and see if I can get a few different configurations. Since the installation of this mod involves removing the front bumper cover, I would likely have to do the 2 intakes with the stock snorkel first. Then do more pulls after installing the duct. The days would most assuredly be different. But I could try to get the weather to be about the same.

I'm also interested in doing some datalogging and see if I can do some road test dyno simulations. If there are some other decent dataloggers out there (preferably free or really cheap), I may start getting some baselines.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #106
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I already have the TRD intake on the car now. I'll have to see what kind of time I have and availability of the dyno and see if I can get a few different configurations. Since the installation of this mod involves removing the front bumper cover, I would likely have to do the 2 intakes with the stock snorkel first. Then do more pulls after installing the duct. The days would most assuredly be different. But I could try to get the weather to be about the same.

I'm also interested in doing some datalogging and see if I can do some road test dyno simulations. If there are some other decent dataloggers out there (preferably free or really cheap), I may start getting some baselines.
Why not just dyno with the bumper off and switch it in between the runs?

I am sure more air will enter the intake duct but when you drive on a freeway at 60-80 mph more air will be entering also and that would be a way to get more air to enter the duct on the dyno to get as close as possible to imitate real world driving conditions. Getting 2 of the 3 (drop in filter, intake duct, silicone tube) will be cheaper than getting most intakes on the market that do perform well like the Greddy/AFE by about 100 bucks and still perform as well as those 2 intakes. The intake duct + drop in filter would cost around 230-250. Silicone intake tube + drop in would be around 200. Either way you will still see gains similar to the AFE/Greddy intake by just getting 2 of the 3 mods that improve the oem air box.

If you get all 3 it will cost about just as much as the Greddy/AFE, maybe 20-30 bucks more but I am sure it would outperform it just slightly which is worth it IMO. Zeta tested there intake tube/drop in filter and it got 6-7 WHP which is near what the AFE/Greddy got on the dyno. There intake tube isnt as smooth of a bend as Perrins too so its definitely possible that all 3 combined would be a great modification for anyone looking to get a new intake. I havent upgraded my intake yet as its still the OEM air box but I have a drop in filter. This will probably be my next mod along with a Perrin intake tube. I already have a front/over pipe/CBE and just waiting on my headers to arrive. I planned to upgrade my intake last since the exhaust would still be restricted. Why upgrade your intake if your exhaust is still restricted you know? That air entering wont be as good unless you have an exhaust. Thats just my logic though.
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #107
stevo_12v

Drives: Mazda MX-6 Turbo, Toyota GTS86 37J
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks Diss7

Thanks for the product heads up! Was running out of things to mod/get.
Gonna email Performance Wholesale(HKS Distributor) and see if they have these in stock ready to go too, otherwise might have to be a JParts order.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #108
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
So the ram effect is negligible. What is important is cool, stable air without restriction to the throttle body requirements. This intake looks able to deliver that[for its part] whereas an intake placed directly into the incoming air is in danger of an erratic supply from turbulence, unless it's placed in clear air as in F1 cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Ballsy View Post
Not in both directions. Sure, you can restrict flow upstream of the TB, but you can't increase it beyond the native characteristics of the TB itself. You're not going to get any more air into the system that you'll get with nothing in front of TB at all.

Venturies affect speed, but not flow. It's like electricity - you can increase voltage, you can increase current, but you can't do both at the same time; power out can't exceed power in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxilus View Post
No, not the manifold, obviously the intake 'duct' in question here. Everything in the chain affects the system. The reason I ask is because you can increase volume and cause reduced velocity which leads to loss of low-end responsiveness for high-end gain. Not dissimilar to dropping an oversized carb on a big block. You get big numbers but terrible throttle. It's not just a matter of volume being pressurized, this why venturis are employed, to increase speed. If you mean you don't think it will matter much because the butterfly and everything after it is the same, then I get your meaning.
_____

Response isn't measured by horsepower in the upper range. Are you saying all variations of air filter box design apart from OE are snake oil? The media is not the only restriction in the chain.

Anyway, I guess I'd like to see the flowbench numbers on this product, if there are any.
This got a bit technical for me, but what I get is the only possible benefit is getting more, cool air for the car allowing for more tuning?

I have been looking a lot at intakes since I want to stay n/a. I was originally thinking trd, but now was wondering about this, a drop in (which I have) and a silicone inlet tube. I don't care about peak numbers but more about the power curve. It's my DD that gets the more than occasional canyon run and will be seeing more auto-x time pretty soon. No hpde.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #109
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This is one of those "can't hurt" modifications. I doubt you'll notice a difference in performance. Unless you have a very finely calibrated butt dyno...LOL.
When AEM was designing their intake they flow tested their system with and without the OEM snorkel and decided to leave it attached. Their intake system flowed around 500 CFM with the snorkel attached, which (if memory serves me) will support around 250-275 HP. If you have the money, why not, right?
1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke, the tow rig
1969 Mustang, the fast car....(:
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:53 AM   #110
stevo_12v

Garage
Came in today. Wont be installing for a few weeks at least :/

It's at the back..

Material feels kinda like plasticky type sandpaper finish. VERY strong, very hard plastic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevo_12v For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (10-14-2013), Kostamojen (10-15-2013), Turdinator (10-14-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #111
toysub

Drives: DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the pics Stevo. Any chance you've installed by now? Any feedback on performance?
toysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #112
stevo_12v

Garage
Car is up on jackstands, need to remove some stuff..

Quote:
Originally Posted by toysub View Post
Thanks for the pics Stevo. Any chance you've installed by now? Any feedback on performance?
No probs. Nah I haven't installed it yet. I was waiting for my INGs+ vented front fenders to be painted(picked them up this morning)
Probably going to give it an attempt tonight though if everything goes well.
This is how the car sits right now..

Installed. HKS Intake, TRD USA Air Box

Update: Here is a comparo pic. Which leads me to the next posts conclusion which I think its a fantastic idea.. even if I do say so myself

Last edited by stevo_12v; 10-19-2013 at 04:36 PM.
stevo_12v is offline   Reply With Quote