follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2014, 01:04 AM   #29
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingRectumSyndrome View Post
Here's a novel idea: PULL OVER.
Here's a better idea: NO.

Quote:
If someone is catching up to you, it may just be that they're a more capable driver. If they can keep control at speeds that make you uncomfortable, then by all means, PULL OVER.

It sucks to be stuck behind someone who isn't as skilled. Recognize your limitations and let them pass. If they fall off the edge at the next corner, at least you'll be able to call the proper agency. And you might just be surprised to find that there are drivers who can do impressive stuff with limited resources.
LOL. We're not talking about track day. We're talking about two lane country roads where I'm cruising along at 60mph in a 55mph zone and some idiot thinks that flying up on me and tailgating me will somehow cause me to magically disappear from his path. It has nothing to do with skill. It has to do with being a fucking asshole on a public road. Save that bullshit for the track.

I drive a lot of these back roads for my job. Usually there aren't a whole lot of places to pull over. If there's a straight area where they can pass, I certainly don't speed up to block them. Go right ahead. But I'm not going to pull over for every childish piece of shit who wants to try to pick a fight on the road.

Skill. LOL.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
8R6 (11-05-2014), Braces (11-03-2014), Jayzl (06-08-2016), kidgogeta (11-03-2014), radroach (11-03-2014), raul (11-07-2014), Tcoat (11-02-2014), Teseo (11-03-2014), Ultramaroon (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 01:24 AM   #30
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidgogeta View Post
it's cause everyone with a frs/brz is a f1/formula d champion
wootwoot
Old 11-03-2014, 04:19 AM   #31
Noble713

Drives: MkIV Supra & Evo X
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Here's a novel idea: PULL OVER.
This is what I like about most Japanese drivers. If I'm hauling ass down a back road and pull up behind a 60hp kei car....the vast majority of them pull over and let you pass. Especially at night.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #32
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by civdaddy View Post
I'm sure you don't.
You can have fun on that road doing the posted limit. I can do it (and much more under the right conditions) in my humble little FR-S, why can't retards in much better cars do the same? It seems most of them drive like many posters in this thread; soul-less, dead-inside zombies.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #33
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The one thing I have learned in 35 years of driving is that there is an endless supply of these idiots on the road. All you can do is slow down and let them pass. Sometimes I will wave them ahead.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #34
lantsalot
Derp

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm super guilty of this. If someone is tailing the shit out of me, i just let off the gas and start engine braking. I have no patience for little shits who tail me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
If you slow down, you just piss them off further.
lantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #35
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lantsalot View Post
I'm super guilty of this. If someone is tailing the shit out of me, i just let off the gas and start engine braking. I have no patience for little shits who tail me.
I used to do this, but it doesn't really work. I'm not interested in any kind of payback for their bad behavior. That's ultimately what slowing down is, because it doesn't make them stop tailgating. All it does is irritate them. Then both of you are irritated. Maybe that makes it "fair," but I would rather not be irritated. So what I normally do is maintain my speed and consciously make an effort not to be irritated.

All I really want is for them to back off. I recall seeing some research where some guys put LED signs in the back windows of some cars and programmed some messages that could be triggered in certain situations. One of them was something like "Please back off." Because reading the sign engaged a higher part of the brain than the part that was causing the aggressive behavior, other drivers tended to back off and become less aggressive when they saw it.

Although I'm not all that enthusiastic about rigging up something like that in my car, I was hoping the strobes might work along the same lines. Suddenly the tailgater is seeing something that isn't making normal sense, so he has to think about what he's seeing and make a decision how to react. Just thinking about it seems to be enough to get them to back off.

Of course, if everyone starts doing this, tailgaters will get used to it and go right back to their asshole ways. So maybe I shouldn't have told you guys about it. Please forget this post.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #36
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Something I learned from an interesting Oregon court case several years ago affected the way I signal other drivers.

On a twisty mountain road near where I live one driver was tailgating another so the lead driver motioned the other car to pass with what he though was plenty of room to complete the move as they approached the next curve. Trouble was, someone came around the bend at high speed and hit the overtaking car first. One dead, two badly injured. It was a huge jury award to the deceased driver's estate and the jury assigned blame equally between the three drivers.

Moral: Never give anyone a point-by on public roads. If they're that anxious to overtake, let them decide where and when.

Related: For the same reason, never motion anyone to cross your lane of traffic to merge with the opposing lane like when you're stopped before a cross street. That's a hard habit to break since it used to be considered courteous until lawyers got involved.

On topic, I was being tailgated by a new Denali with it's HID's lighting up my interior so I gradually increased my speed approaching one of my favorite downhill off-camber left turns posted for 20 mph and he took the bait. I didn't even need to brake, just a downshift to 3rd and neutral throttle. I really wish I had a pic of the driver's face as the right side of his rig left the road and he went from driving a Denali to a Deere, plowing up the mud for a good 50' before returning to his lane. Am I wrong to have smiled (don't answer)?
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:42 PM   #37
Tromatic
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 1,728 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
Am I wrong to have smiled (don't answer)?
No. Nobody made him do what he did.
Tromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tromatic For This Useful Post:
CatDaddysBBQ (11-04-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #38
lantsalot
Derp

It's half payback, and half getting them off of me. I figure when i get to going slow enough, they'll decide it's no longer worth it to tailgate me and just go the hell around me (because, no lie, it's typically when there is an open lane on one / two sides of me that they can just go around me in).

I've also considered the LED display in the rear window. Then i realized that if those were integrated into cars, driving would inevitably turn into the internet, and everyone would be calling each other f*ggots every time someone was mildly annoying them on the roadways.

Quote:
I used to do this, but it doesn't really work. I'm not interested in any kind of payback for their bad behavior. That's ultimately what slowing down is, because it doesn't make them stop tailgating. All it does is irritate them. Then both of you are irritated.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:17 PM   #39
lantsalot
Derp

Some of us feel that it's irresponsible to drive like that on public roadways. On a track, you mess up--whatever, that's on you. You suffer the consequences, but on a roadway, you can mess up other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
You can have fun on that road doing the posted limit. I can do it (and much more under the right conditions) in my humble little FR-S, why can't retards in much better cars do the same? It seems most of them drive like many posters in this thread; soul-less, dead-inside zombies.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:21 PM   #40
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromatic View Post
It seems most of them drive like many posters in this thread; soul-less, dead-inside zombies.
Maybe, but we have cooler cars.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #41
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
All I really want is for them to back off.
They're not going to, though. They want to go faster than you're going. Why not let them go? Then they're not tailgating you, you're free to drive how you like, and they're free to drive how they like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lantsalot View Post
Some of us feel that it's irresponsible to drive like that on public roadways.
You're welcome to feel like that, but unless you're a police officer it's not your job to control their actions. All you're doing by holding them up is making them drive more aggressively because you're pissing them off.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
FlamingRectumSyndrome (11-08-2014), Tcoat (11-03-2014)
Old 11-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #42
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
You're welcome to feel like that, but unless you're a police officer it's not your job to control their actions. All you're doing by holding them up is making them drive more aggressively because you're pissing them off.
^^this^^ I must confess I've fallen into this cycle. No good can come from it. Zen is the way but it only counts when it's the tough choice.

Judge not. Turn the other cheek. Love thy neighbor. ...