follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Supercharger charge pipe question

Hey guys. I'm curious about the effect of charge pipe length on supercharger(specifically centrifugal). Most if not all kits currently come with a front mount intercooler. But what if someone used a liquid to air intercooler? Assuming you could find one that would fit between the throttle body and your supercharger outlet of course. Would the elimination of charge piping running thru the bumper increase throttle response? Decrease charge temp? Thoughts?

Ps: I am aware it's easier to just buy a kit and use what they give you but I'm curious about this.
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #2
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
sprintex's and other twin screw supercharger kits use Liquid to Air intercoolers. necessity varies depending on your supercharger of choice.

since most of the rotrex and centrifugal kits work like a belt driven turbo, it is more effective for these kits to run an Air to Air intercooler, which works most efficiently with heat radiating off it.

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Dream20b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
You'll still need some air going to it. Look up the last gen celica all tracks. They have a top mounted water to air inner cooler. But it has a hood scoop.

To me it's extra work for a bit of gain. More stuff to go bad. But if anything it could be done, lower air temps and what nots. Not sure how much power you'll gain but some one out there might find out.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
You'll still need some air going to it. Look up the last gen celica all tracks. They have a top mounted water to air inner cooler. But it has a hood scoop.

To me it's extra work for a bit of gain. More stuff to go bad. But if anything it could be done, lower air temps and what nots. Not sure how much power you'll gain but some one out there might find out.
I was thinking more for the reduction in charge piping. Would that affect how quickly boost is delivered since there is less pipe to pressurize?
Old 03-02-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

I assumed that was understood.

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Dream20b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #6
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
I was thinking more for the reduction in charge piping. Would that affect how quickly boost is delivered since there is less pipe to pressurize?
It takes almost no time to pressurize the pipe and IC. I went from a TMIC to a FMIC on my WRX and it really made almost no difference. The on/off throttle response was still very good even with the larger FMIC and it used longer and larger piping than what you have with a S/C on this car.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:34 PM   #7
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwd View Post
It takes almost no time to pressurize the pipe and IC. I went from a TMIC to a FMIC on my WRX and it really made almost no difference. The on/off throttle response was still very good even with the larger FMIC and it used longer and larger piping than what you have with a S/C on this car.
This is the kind of info I'm looking for. Thank you
Old 03-03-2016, 01:43 AM   #8
Mr.ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Supercharging by design is instant. Pretty much by the first crack rotation it's up and ready. Doesn't really matter how long the inner cooler pipe is. It would stay in vacuum after the first time you turn the car on.

Turbocharged that's a different story. I'm thing your mixing your forced inductions. No worries I been there. Both of my old cars gets me thinking at times
Old 03-03-2016, 02:22 AM   #9
#maverick#

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GP (SOLD), 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Run an ice box and a water to water fuck it!
mrk1 (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 06:56 PM   #10
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Supercharging by design is instant. Pretty much by the first crack rotation it's up and ready. Doesn't really matter how long the inner cooler pipe is. It would stay in vacuum after the first time you turn the car on.

Turbocharged that's a different story. I'm thing your mixing your forced inductions. No worries I been there. Both of my old cars gets me thinking at times
He's talking mainly about centrifugal superchargers which are belt-driven turbos, for lack of a better description. They generate boost faster than a turbo since they aren't exhaust driven, but still need to pressurize a charge pipe and IC.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #11
Bykov

Drives: 2014 Monogram FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The thing is on or off throttle at a given rpm the SC is flowing the same CFM. The variable is the bypass valve so really throttle response won't be changed with charge pipe length, only BPV responsiveness will play into throttle response since all the airflow is already being pushed back against the throttle body and out the BPV.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong and if someone points it out to me I am ready to learn!
Bykov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
Mr.ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwd View Post
He's talking mainly about centrifugal superchargers which are belt-driven turbos, for lack of a better description. They generate boost faster than a turbo since they aren't exhaust driven, but still need to pressurize a charge pipe and IC.
????????
Uh. Supercharge... Boost is instant. No mater what version. Roots type or centrifugal.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #13
Mr.ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by #maverick# View Post
Run an ice box and a water to water fuck it!
Interesting fact one of the later ford lighting trucks played around with using the AC to cool the inner cooler. Cool idea but extra load and worse mpg for a daily driver.