follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #113
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
then you go to jail
Nobody said driving fast=breaking laws. Otherwise with that definition a slow car being driven fast = breaking laws.

Can still drive "fast" without being unsafe or breaking laws on public roads.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #114
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
Nobody said driving fast=breaking laws. Otherwise with that definition a slow car being driven fast = breaking laws.

Can still drive "fast" without being unsafe or breaking laws on public roads.
in a miata you can pin it in the first three gears and not break laws or be in trouble. you cant do that in a wrx or any of these stupid fast cars. in the realm of sports cars, at any given speed achievalbe by both cars, the slower car is going to be more fun. if you want to use this definition of fast then the statement still makes sense as it would be more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car fast without being unsafe or braking laws.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #115
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
in a miata you can pin it in the first three gears and not break laws or be in trouble. you cant do that in a wrx or any of these stupid fast cars. in the realm of sports cars, at any given speed achievalbe by both cars, the slower car is going to be more fun. if you want to use this definition of fast then the statement still makes sense as it would be more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car fast without being unsafe or braking laws.

There are other ways of having fun in a car besides just flooring the gas. Take a WRX in the winter with 12in of fresh snow and an empty parking lot. Tons of fun no laws broken.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #116
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
There are other ways of having fun in a car besides just flooring the gas. Take a WRX in the winter with 12in of fresh snow and an empty parking lot. Tons of fun no laws broken.
That's still a citable offense...if the cop's in a bad mood.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #117
86design
Attack By Demons

Drives: 2022 BRZ (pre ordered)
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I came from a 08 evo 10 and always loved the all wheel drive turbo cars but before that i use to own a 04 350Z and let me tell yeah i miss the rear wheel drive a little...so for me going to a bRZ I'm really excited to finally go with a good make (Subaru) and trying out a RWD car also designed from a AE86 thats pretty cool...when i get cars I want them to be a new model/design I don't care if its the first production and if there going to have flaws here and there thats what the 5 year warranty is for
Old 03-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #118
dominican
Lude Dude

Drives: 1998 Honda Prelude
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The dilemma I am having is the fact that the FR-S is only a 2 door, and a small one at that. I really feel that the added practicality to the Subaru makes up for any shortcomings when it comes to it not feeling like a real sports car. I also agree, it is more fun to drive a slow car fast, but I'd rather that slow, sporty car also be attractive and have 4 doors. While FR-S is my first choice for cars, it is really difficult to ignore the added practicality in the WRX. Since I am planning to keep my next car for 10+ years, I really can't ignore any deatail at all, and no one can really tell me that added practicality is really something you don't want, because there is no reason to not like the added practicality.
dominican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #119
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kash View Post
If WRX has 2-door versions, then it'll be a dilemma for me. I want a coupe, because I'm tired of being the designated driver. LOL
Yup and then there are those who want a free ride and I'll be like gtfoh lol.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #120
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominican View Post
The dilemma I am having is the fact that the FR-S is only a 2 door...

Since I am planning to keep my next car for 10+ years, I really can't ignore any deatail at all, and no one can really tell me that added practicality is really something you don't want, because there is no reason to not like the added practicality.
There are plenty of reasons. Everyone has different needs. For me - four doors is more bother than it's worth. Your wants/needs are different and that's okay too. I can hardly fit more than a carry-on suitcase worth of stuff in my current car and it's served me well for many years. I don't often need to carry a family of people around. And I travel light. And for the rare occasion than I need to haul something - I can borrow a truck or rent one for the day.

Just food for thought.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #121
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominican View Post
The dilemma I am having is the fact that the FR-S is only a 2 door, and a small one at that. I really feel that the added practicality to the Subaru makes up for any shortcomings when it comes to it not feeling like a real sports car. I also agree, it is more fun to drive a slow car fast, but I'd rather that slow, sporty car also be attractive and have 4 doors. While FR-S is my first choice for cars, it is really difficult to ignore the added practicality in the WRX. Since I am planning to keep my next car for 10+ years, I really can't ignore any detail at all, and no one can really tell me that added practicality is really something you don't want, because there is no reason to not like the added practicality.
+1, I'm afraid I'm on the same boat. Ultimately, I'm leaving it up to price. If it is priced as high as some of us are worried about, I'm afraid I'd have to opt for the utility of a WRX/STI and just get my jolies once in a while & in a toned down fashion.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #122
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
+1, I'm afraid I'm on the same boat. Ultimately, I'm leaving it up to price. If it is priced as high as some of us are worried about, I'm afraid I'd have to opt for the utility of a WRX/STI and just get my jolies once in a while & in a toned down fashion.
Exactly, plus for me personally I already have a motorcycle which can be loads of fun in and of itself. That being said, I totally line up with the next poster who said they pack light and rarely carry passengers so for just me, the BRZ would be great. My girlfriend and I could travel just fine in it and she has a truck so if we need to do anything all weather, we'll just take her car.
slizoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #123
Embarrassed

Drives: too many to name
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How sure are that buying a WRX instead is even an option? I just went looking for some and found.....1. In LA and Orange county combined. With dealer mark up it was over 30k The story I'm getting is that the WRX is the "old" impreza platform. The story I got from mulitple dealers is that they can't make the WRX unless they take the time to retool the line to make them for a few days then retool back, and it looks like Subaru really doesn't want to take the hit.

O
Embarrassed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #124
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embarrassed View Post
How sure are that buying a WRX instead is even an option? I just went looking for some and found.....1. In LA and Orange county combined. With dealer mark up it was over 30k The story I'm getting is that the WRX is the "old" impreza platform. The story I got from mulitple dealers is that they can't make the WRX unless they take the time to retool the line to make them for a few days then retool back, and it looks like Subaru really doesn't want to take the hit.
I was thinking more along the lines of getting a used/cert-preowned one since my main thing is price. You are correct that not many dealers have them anymore, but they certainly won't say no to taking an order, granted it may take a while for your WRX to be made and get there, since like you said, it requires Subaru to retool and actually make your car. The dealer I spoke to estimated about a month, which isn't too bad, considering I've waited/been waiting for ~8 mos for BRZ pricing...
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #125
sprintertrueno86

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I have a Legacy GT already so a BRZ/ FRS would be a great 2nd car for me.
sprintertrueno86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #126
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of getting a used/cert-preowned one since my main thing is price. You are correct that not many dealers have them anymore, but they certainly won't say no to taking an order, granted it may take a while for your WRX to be made and get there, since like you said, it requires Subaru to retool and actually make your car. The dealer I spoke to estimated about a month, which isn't too bad, considering I've waited/been waiting for ~8 mos for BRZ pricing...

Have we really been waiting that long? Didn't know pricing was suppose to be released back in July 2011.