follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Some Interesting things from a Dealer event Yesterday

Just got back from a BRZ Dealer event in Oshgosh Wi. Just a few noteworthy things:

-There is a dead spot from 3750 to 4250 RPM... it is the AVCS Crossover supposedly it CAN be tuned out...ALA Dual AVCS 08 STI...we'll see..Hopefully there will be a tuning company that can 'fix' this

-The Rep said he got 33 mpg on normal highway driving

- There will be moderate Road noise

-Supposedly it does 59.2 mph in 2nd..thats good for me..with a bit taller tire..it will be perfect for a 62 mph jount

-Some other news...Toyota is saying a JUNE 1st introduction date.... As of yesterday...there is a boat 1/2 BRZs the other Half FRS's.. on its way to Long Beach ...left port on Tues...usually takes about 17 days to travel from Japan to Calif...soo Do the math.

-Seats were Relatively Firm...theres about 2.5 inchs left on the bottom, even when the seat is in its lowest position.. soo hopefully there is a lower bracket to be made somewhere..

-Seating Position is a little awkward at first...If your used to a certain seating position in your old car...most likely...its not going to be the Exact same in the BRZ...Close...and it will take some time to adjust.

-Battery is a std GRP 35....IT WILL be replaced with a lightweight Odyssey/Braille...

Me trying to get into a comfortable/effective Driving postion

about 5.5 inches of Ground Clearance...

Have about 1/2 inch of Helmet clearance in this pic...recline 1-2 clicks Fixed that..

Ok...I absolutely HATE the headrest....Gets in the way..and pushes my head down to my chest...NOT DESIGNED for a HELMET...no biggie...flip the headrest around....LOTS OF Room..

Whoever said there wasn't HID controls...Probably sat in a FR-S...which doesn't have HIDs...

PROOF

LOVED the FATTY Steering Wheel.... the Driving View is pretty good to..

Definitely some cool things going on.....Enjoy the new Info

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Scooby South For This Useful Post:
Deslock (04-26-2012), Dizz1e (04-30-2012), illmatic (04-26-2012), Jayde (04-26-2012), Lordharding (04-30-2012), MmmHamSandwich (04-26-2012), Motordyne (05-03-2012), pithy_logorrhea (04-26-2012), S2kphile (04-26-2012), ShoGun (04-26-2012), Sportsguy83 (04-26-2012), Subaruwrxfan (04-26-2012), WolfpackS2k (05-08-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby South View Post
-There is a dead spot from 3750 to 4250 RPM... it is the AVCS Crossover supposedly it CAN be tuned out...ALA Dual AVCS 08 STI...we'll see..Hopefully there will be a tuning company that can 'fix' this
Very interesting...

What do you mean by HID controls? Leveling?

Thanks for your impressions!
MmmHamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmHamSandwich View Post
yes Leveling.. someone out there said it didn't have it....with a Switch that goes from 0-5...for the height adjustors...
Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
MmmHamSandwich
You know you want it.

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Height adjustable Lights....the Motors themselves...with a Switch that goes from 0-5...for the height adjustors...
Awesome, coming from retrofitted projectors that sounds appealing. I'm glad it comes with leveling. I guess that is the advantage of having this car produced in many other regions.
MmmHamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Grimlock

Drives: BRZ and NA
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmHamSandwich View Post
Very interesting...

Thanks for your impressions!
Yes.
EDIT: Beaten
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
-Seating Position is a little awkward at first...If your used to a certain seating position in your old car...most likely...its not going to be the Exact same in the BRZ...Close...and it will take some time to adjust.

-Battery is a std GRP 35....IT WILL be replaced with a lightweight Odyssey/Braille...

-LOVED the FATTY Steering Wheel.... the Driving View is pretty good to..
Thanks for your feedback. I have to say though, your perception seems a bit strange. Are you not accustomed to a proper laid-back sports car seating position? [i.e. Porsche, Miata, Elise] Pretty much all modern hatchbacks and sedans have asinine ergonomics where you have to sit very upright and till the wheel like a bus driver. I'm guessing based on your helmets' Subaru stickers that you have a WRX et al, so yes, proper sports car ergonomics may feel strange at first, but the point is you sit in the car, not on the car. IMO, the steering wheel felt average [as in proper] in girth; thankfully it's not inflicted with elephantiasis like BMW //M wheels. I'm not sure why Toyota is going on and on about the steering wheel diameter, if it were any bigger it wouldn't fit in the car.

Just my advice: you might want to wait until a proper LiFePo4 battery is fitted and marketed for the car before spending money on a short-term solution like an AGM battery.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
AVCS Crossover:

Interesting, the torque curve does look similar to the 08 STi. All this time I thought the torque dip was due to Toyota's ACIS system, which I'm not sure is on this car. Should be easier to tune out the AVCS crossover because you cannot tune out the torque dip resulting from Toyota's ACIS cross over. So the dip is basically a cam phasing issue?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
^^^ thanks...I sit VERY close to the steering wheel in a very UPRIGHT postition...I am 6'2 but my seating position sits like I am 5 ft...I am very used to having ALOT of steering control sitting so close...the Telescoping Wheel Helps that situation ALOT....And yes...All my experience is in Impreza's...have driven some others as a instructor...for 1-2 runs before...so I gues I am not as familiar with the 'sports car' driving postion as I should be.......actually just bought a DEK battery for competition..

Bill
Old 04-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
ubersoph

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Are you not accustomed to a proper laid-back sports car seating position? [i.e. Porsche, Miata, Elise]
Proper seating position for racing IS upright. Better handle on the controls. Or do you see people in actual racing series sitting with a gangster lean?
ubersoph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ubersoph For This Useful Post:
Scooby South (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
AVCS Crossover:

Interesting, the torque curve does look similar to the 08 STi. All this time I thought the torque dip was due to Toyota's ACIS system, which I'm not sure is on this car. Should be easier to tune out the AVCS crossover because you cannot tune out the torque dip resulting from Toyota's ACIS cross over. So the dip is basically a cam phasing issue?
yep pretty much...HKS already has new Cams for it...

Bill
Old 04-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersoph View Post
Proper seating position for racing IS upright. Better handle on the controls. Or do you see people in actual racing series sitting with a gangster lean?
You're definitely projecting and making sweeping generalizations. I didn't say gangster lean, nor did I say anything about racing, let alone the seating position for Formula, DSR, or ALMS cars.

If you ghetto lean in a hatchback, then you're likely too far from the steering wheel for proper control. You can't ghetto lean in my Exige, because the seat posture is fixed, in a slightly reclined position. Nevertheless, the Exige's steering wheel positioning is excellent. Conversely, the posture in a Ferrari 308 is terrible; reclined seat with very distant [and canted] steering wheel.

Reclined does not equate to excessive distance from the steering wheel, especially in a car where a reclined body position is part of the design. Making generalizations doesn't help. We're talking about the BRZ, which has a low, semi-reclined seating position with a high-positioned and relatively vertically upright steering wheel. Such positioning automatically gives better control and leverage over the steering wheel, since the wheel is closer to being level with your shoulders, instead of being down by your stomach like a hatchback. Since the OP isn't accustomed to such ergonomics, he'll have to adapt.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
Metallic BRZ

Drives: 1992 Corvette Z07
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Is the car still there? Which dealer is it? I'm in Madison and would drive up if the car were still there. I'll call the dealer to find out if you have the info.

1992 Z07 Corvette
2008 Odyssey
2013 BRZ
Metallic BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #13
Scooby South
Conedancer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallic BRZ View Post
Is the car still there? Which dealer is it? I'm in Madison and would drive up if the car were still there. I'll call the dealer to find out if you have the info.
The same car will be in Madison on the 3rd of May from what I am told...Talk to Shannon @ Don Miller Subaru East...he will have all the info..

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby South For This Useful Post:
Metallic BRZ (04-26-2012)
Old 04-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #14
Metallic BRZ

Drives: 1992 Corvette Z07
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The same car will be in Madison on the 3rd of May from what I am told...Talk to Shannon @ Don Miller Subaru East...he will have all the info..

Bill
Awesome - I appreciate the info. I'll definately be there. Good timing for me too.

1992 Z07 Corvette
2008 Odyssey
2013 BRZ
Metallic BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote