follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #15
Fast_Freddy

Drives: Passat
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I went with Lachute exhaust and very pleased. Only comes on when you want it and quiet on the hwy and very well made.
If only I lived in Canada... or there was something special enough about the Lachute CB to make it better than the many other options made closer to home.
Fast_Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #16
Areddi

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I installed Perrin Resonated yeaterday. 110% satisfaction. Just the right tone and noise level, phenomenal craftsmanship, and noise volume room for further upgrades.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
My plans for my FRS are simple. Exhaust upgrade for better sound and reduced restriction for the future supercharger from Innovate or Vortech. I am not looking for max power, 200+ whp would satisfy me. TIA
If that's really all you're looking for, you don't even need a supercharger. Seriously, 200 WHP is very acheivable with just bolt-ons and a tune.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
bdanisi
You Made Bro?

Drives: Raven 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
the ft-86speedfactory v1 is hands down the most underrated system available. IMO best build quality, the sound is perfect boxer rumble, the noise in the cabin with the windows closed is rediculously quite. My mom hated my last car because it was terribly drony, i drove her to LAX an hour and a half with traffic, she didnt even know i had a new exhaust on my frs. NO DRONE, but the best part is when you want that amazing sound, its there and it commands respect.
worth a look.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26900
bdanisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 AM   #19
Fast_Freddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areddi View Post
I installed Perrin Resonated yeaterday. 110% satisfaction. Just the right tone and noise level, phenomenal craftsmanship, and noise volume room for further upgrades.
Nice... the Perrin resonated is on my short list with Borla, Invidia Q300, SP Elite, ft-86 V1 and Magnaflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
If that's really all you're looking for, you don't even need a supercharger. Seriously, 200 WHP is very acheivable with just bolt-ons and a tune.
Sorry but E85 is not an option for me, 200+ whp isn't likely without it and NA builds on small displacement 4 bangers are typically a colossal waste of time and money vs FI. I wasted $2500 on IHE for my 08 XB to add a measly 20 whp but $5000 in FI gave me 100 whp. For the same $5000 I could have easily added 150 whp but I intentionally kept the power lower to save the AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdanisi View Post
the ft-86speedfactory v1 is hands down the most underrated system available. IMO best build quality, the sound is perfect boxer rumble, the noise in the cabin with the windows closed is rediculously quite. My mom hated my last car because it was terribly drony, i drove her to LAX an hour and a half with traffic, she didnt even know i had a new exhaust on my frs. NO DRONE, but the best part is when you want that amazing sound, its there and it commands respect.
worth a look.
The V1 is very nice indeed. It's on my list but being the most expensive CB on the list isn't helping it any. In fairness it's only a few dollars more than the Perrin but $140 more than Borla, Invidia Q300 and Magnaflow.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #20
Dispect
Newbie Car Enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdanisi View Post
worth a look.
im not too sure if you can answer this but, with the v1 in comparison to the perrin unresonatted catback, which do you say is louder?
Dispect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
bdanisi
You Made Bro?

Drives: Raven 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dispect View Post
im not too sure if you can answer this but, with the v1 in comparison to the perrin unresonatted catback, which do you say is louder?
It's tough but I'd say the v1 is louder but cleaner. With the perrin unresonated it's loud as hell but most of it is just raspy. The v1 is clean and deep thru the whole rev band. Hope that helps.
edit i wrote this hella early this morning didnt mean to sound like im hating on the perrin, it has tons of great feedback, just wasnt for me!

Last edited by bdanisi; 05-14-2013 at 12:12 PM.
bdanisi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdanisi For This Useful Post:
Dispect (05-14-2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #22
roddy

Drives: '13 Ultramarine
Thanked 1,165 Times in 685 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I have the Magnaflow, and I'm quite happy with it. The stamped and welded inlet pipe is a little wierd looking, and there is a bit of oxidation on the pipe before the muffler (due to driving through a very salty Canadian winter), but have no fear regarding the slip fit and clamps. My '07 Mustang uses the same type of slip fit and exactly the same clamps from the factory... 6 years in and no issues. I've had mine on the FR-S for about 12,000 miles now and love the sound. It is on the quiet side, but deep sounding, with a nice burble and GRRRR when lifting off the gas. Absolutely no drone. The muffler and tips still look like new despite a 6 month salt bath, and I'm pretty sure the finish on the whole system would hold up quite well in a warmer climate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same system again. Excellent value for the price.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:26 PM   #23
Trashed675

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Borla really isn't very loud at all, after a couple weeks i opted to get the off road overpipe to add to the CB, its still tolerable, but quite a bit louder, but still no drone either way.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #24
Fast_Freddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
I have the Magnaflow, and I'm quite happy with it. The stamped and welded inlet pipe is a little wierd looking, and there is a bit of oxidation on the pipe before the muffler (due to driving through a very salty Canadian winter), but have no fear regarding the slip fit and clamps. My '07 Mustang uses the same type of slip fit and exactly the same clamps from the factory... 6 years in and no issues. I've had mine on the FR-S for about 12,000 miles now and love the sound. It is on the quiet side, but deep sounding, with a nice burble and GRRRR when lifting off the gas. Absolutely no drone. The muffler and tips still look like new despite a 6 month salt bath, and I'm pretty sure the finish on the whole system would hold up quite well in a warmer climate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same system again. Excellent value for the price.
Thanks for the feedback. I think Magnaflow is my #1 choice for sound quality but I'm put off somewhat by their use of cheaper 409 vs the 304 SS everyone else uses. IMO the Magnaflow should cost closer to $500 than $700 like it's other 409 competition from Flowmaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashed675 View Post
Borla really isn't very loud at all, after a couple weeks i opted to get the off road overpipe to add to the CB, its still tolerable, but quite a bit louder, but still no drone either way.

I'm still undecided but getting closer and closer to choosing the Borla. It weighs 10lbs less than oem, is 100% 304 SS, looks good, sounds good and is priced good at $700 shipped.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #25
Trashed675

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
I'm still undecided but getting closer and closer to choosing the Borla. It weighs 10lbs less than oem, is 100% 304 SS, looks good, sounds good and is priced good at $700 shipped.
I've had Borla on my last 3 cars(97 Ford probe GT, 07 Scion tC, and the 13 FRS), and have not yet been dissapointed. They've all been a big improvement over the OEM pipes, never any drone, never any rust(the system on the tC had over 120k miles on it before i traded in the car). And just my personal opinion, the borla tips for the FRS fill up the bumper the best(honorable mention to Perrin).
Old 05-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #26
PoWn3d_0704

Drives: 1990 BNR32 GTR
Garage
Quote:
I've had Borla on my last 3 cars(97 Ford probe GT, 07 Scion tC, and the 13 FRS), and have not yet been dissapointed. They've all been a big improvement over the OEM pipes, never any drone, never any rust(the system on the tC had over 120k miles on it before i traded in the car). And just my personal opinion, the borla tips for the FRS fill up the bumper the best(honorable mention to Perrin).
Where did you buy the Borla Header back?
PoWn3d_0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #27
Trashed675

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoWn3d_0704 View Post
Where did you buy the Borla Header back?
Cat back + Over pipe = headerback.

Catback was from amazon, over pipe was from ft86speedfactory.com
Old 05-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #28
PoWn3d_0704

Drives: 1990 BNR32 GTR
Garage
Quote:
Cat back + Over pipe = headerback.

Catback was from amazon, over pipe was from ft86speedfactory.com
So stock front pipe? I cant find a Borla kit with a front pipe.
PoWn3d_0704 is offline   Reply With Quote