follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2019, 02:15 AM   #99
spicyricecake

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ Performance Package
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That save by mike at the end, jesus!
spicyricecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:59 PM   #100
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Well done! You're doing this the right way and we love seeing your progress.

BTW if you're still running your old alignment with your new tires, you'd definitely benefit from some more camber front and rear now.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:19 AM   #101
jmoham

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP Pack
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ride Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Well done! You're doing this the right way and we love seeing your progress.

BTW if you're still running your old alignment with your new tires, you'd definitely benefit from some more camber front and rear now.

- Andrew
Quick question, really deciding on whether or not I want to get a full coil setup or replace my stock springs with yellows onto my sachs dampers. Do not plan on tracking much, just want a slight drop in ride height and something that is close to the ride comfort I get now or maybe even better if possible. (lots of rough roads where I live). Hope you all can help, thanks!
jmoham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #102
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoham View Post
Quick question, really deciding on whether or not I want to get a full coil setup or replace my stock springs with yellows onto my sachs dampers. Do not plan on tracking much, just want a slight drop in ride height and something that is close to the ride comfort I get now or maybe even better if possible. (lots of rough roads where I live). Hope you all can help, thanks!
Both good options and @QueenBRZ has had both on her car so maybe she can shed some light on that for you!

The SS1s with a slight drop is niiiice. With the newer Sachs dampers the Yellows are good too but a slight advantage to the SS1s on bigger bumps since you'll have more travel.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:48 AM   #103
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Both good options and @QueenBRZ has had both on her car so maybe she can shed some light on that for you!

The SS1s with a slight drop is niiiice. With the newer Sachs dampers the Yellows are good too but a slight advantage to the SS1s on bigger bumps since you'll have more travel.

- Andrew
For mostly a daily driven car yellows plus OEM dampers will be good. I did something similar by getting some OE 17 dampers and paired with yellows and I don't feel the ride quality has changed with the drop. Imo it feels a bit smoother due to my old oe dampers were from a 13 car and 60k on the odo.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
QueenBRZ (02-16-2019), Racecomp Engineering (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 08:07 PM   #104
QueenBRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ Dark Grey Metallic
Quote:

- Andrew

Okay, keep in mind my car is a daily driver / canyon carver / occasional track day car. The yellows + oem 17+ sachs dampeners felt awesome and were everything I could hope for based on my project goals.

THE ONLY complaint I had with the yellow lowering springs + Sachs dampeners (and its only because of the fixed design) is that the ride height was fixed and non adjustable.

VS

Now onto the RaceComp Engineering Superstreet-1 coilovers. These coilovers took everything great about the Yellow lowering springs and multiplied them.

- Due to the adjustable rebound, I was able to set the coilovers to the softest settings all around. This change made the car even more comfortable and compliant for daily driving.

- At the track, I again fiddled with the rebound settings and was overjoyed to find the difference in how the car behaved. I struggle for words as I'm still very much a newbie, but my BUTT-Dyno could feel the difference as I adjusted rebound settings from full stiff to half stiff, and to soft. Again, I'm still fine tuning what I like for the track, but thats another reason that makes these coilovers awesome. The adjust-ability and fine tuning allows the owner to cater the coilovers to their specific needs and road conditions.

- Adjustable ride height. Due to these being coilovers, I was able to lower my car to my hearts content! (Just for giggles, I set them as low as they could possibly go and found that I could stance the car) I eventually set my ride height approximately 5mm lower than the yellow lowering springs and found my perfect daily driver / sporty stance.
QueenBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QueenBRZ For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (02-16-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 11:00 PM   #105
QueenBRZ

Hey guys! So today I went to Sube Sports in Huntington Beach, CA to try on and maybe buy a racing suit. One thing I learned at 86CUP and the SpeedVentures event is that safety is a top priority. These racing suits provide that protection and safety if one were to be involved in a crash at the track. So obviously, I had to go shopping to at least try them on as I further my development and focus on my driver mod.

Sadly, I did not find a suit that I liked 100%, but at least I know my size (48) and know where to go to when I find that perfect suit!

I didn’t leave empty handed though, I bought a pair of White Puma gloves. I figured at the very least for my in car footage, the white will contrast against my steering wheel and make my hands easier to see. Plus they look cool and will give me maximum grip (I guess?) lol

Also I was so excited and blown away to be shown by the owner of Sube Sports, Chad DiMarco some of his private collection of racing memorabilia. If you're a fan of Lewis Hamilton, Sebastin Vettel, or Michael Schumacher you NEED to see my video. Chad Dimarco had Hamilton's race suit, Vettel's race suit, and Schumacher's last worn racing shoes. Also, Chad DiMarco is a former Champion Rally driver for Subaru, so he gave me some kind words of advise on how to further my progression in driving. Long story short, DiMarco advised that I attend Skip Barber's Racing School. I had never considered this, but based on my goals, this school is seriously something I'm considering.

Anyways, if you want to see the racing suit try on, or some awesome F1 memorabilia, check out my video below!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or5nHxDv2B8[/ame]

Last edited by QueenBRZ; 02-17-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Racecomp Engineering (03-19-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #106
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I feel like a suit is just wasted money considering the level of driving and competition you're competing in.

I'd say your money would be better spend on a high quality helmet and some sort of HANS system. If you oversteer and go off track into a wall or into a ditch, that racing suit will do nothing. A HANS system, on the other hand, may help prevent you from living the rest of your life paralyzed.

Watch here:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40YatgE_CE[/ame]

Driver has no HANS device. Passenger does. Look at the difference in head movement upon impact.
TylerLieberman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-17-2019), QueenBRZ (02-17-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #107
QueenBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
I feel like a suit is just wasted money considering the level of driving and competition you're competing in.

I'd say your money would be better spend on a high quality helmet and some sort of HANS system. If you oversteer and go off track into a wall or into a ditch, that racing suit will do nothing. A HANS system, on the other hand, may help prevent you from living the rest of your life paralyzed.

Watch here:

Driver has no HANS device. Passenger does. Look at the difference in head movement upon impact.
I love this. Yes a HANS device is definitely the next major
Purchase. But I feel there is no harm is trying s suit on as at least knowing my size. After that, I’m considering getting a mini fire extinguisher. Again thank you for the comment, the HANS device just reaffirms my commitment to making safety my top priority.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:18 PM   #108
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:

Watch here:

HANS can't be used without a harness, which requires a FIA seat AND a roll bar to properly mount the harness. Simpson makes a hybrid head and neck restraint (HNRS) which can be used with the factory seats. A fire suit is a great idea for anyone doing HPDE. Fires happen, and I'd rather look silly wearing a suit and have my skin incase one happens.

Any car running an aftermarket oil cooler has an increased chance of fire. Oil lines fail, fittings can break. Things happen. The more modified your car gets, the higher the risk in my opinion. I've seen cars catch on fire at autocross, 20 minute track sessions increase the odds.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:06 AM   #109
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Logs View Post
HANS can't be used without a harness, which requires a FIA seat AND a roll bar to properly mount the harness. Simpson makes a hybrid head and neck restraint (HNRS) which can be used with the factory seats. A fire suit is a great idea for anyone doing HPDE. Fires happen, and I'd rather look silly wearing a suit and have my skin incase one happens.

Any car running an aftermarket oil cooler has an increased chance of fire. Oil lines fail, fittings can break. Things happen. The more modified your car gets, the higher the risk in my opinion. I've seen cars catch on fire at autocross, 20 minute track sessions increase the odds.
There are HANS and neck restraint systems which work without harnesses. Plenty of people on this forum and many others run them (just like you mentioned). You're right about a fire suit helping in case of a fire. You'll also look really silly for the rest of your life when you snap your neck going into a wall... but hey, at least you had the driving suit, right?

I'm not saying a driving suit is pointless. I'm simply saying that for the OP - a person just barely starting to drive HPDE and is driving in a novice group with a pretty much stock vehicle - I'd put a HANS system up higher on the list of priorities than a racing suit.

Just like you've seen cars catch fire at Autox events, I've seen cars go into walls/barriers/ditches within the first couple laps of a session. Even at fairly slow speeds, I've heard comments on neck pain by those involved.

If a car catches fire, you can still get out of the vehicle in a relatively quick manner; so long as you aren't going at an extremely high rate of speed. At that point, it'll take a bit longer to bring the vehicle to a stop. What are you going to do mid crash though lol. Not like you can hop out as you're headed towards a wall; you're just along for the ride. Hell, accidents can even cause fires under certain circumstances.

Ideally, you'd have it all. If I can only choose one to have for the next upcoming HPDE though, I'll choose a HANS system over a racing suit or anything else (aside from a helmet obviously) any day of the week.
TylerLieberman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:07 AM   #110
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
Quote:
There are HANS and neck restraint systems which work without harnesses. Plenty of people on this forum and many others run them (just like you mentioned). You're right about a fire suit helping in case of a fire. You'll also look really silly for the rest of your life when you snap your neck going into a wall... but hey, at least you had the driving suit, right?

I'm not saying a driving suit is pointless. I'm simply saying that for the OP - a person just barely starting to drive HPDE and is driving in a novice group with a pretty much stock vehicle - I'd put a HANS system up higher on the list of priorities than a racing suit.

Just like you've seen cars catch fire at Autox events, I've seen cars go into walls/barriers/ditches within the first couple laps of a session. Even at fairly slow speeds, I've heard comments on neck pain by those involved.

If a car catches fire, you can still get out of the vehicle in a relatively quick manner; so long as you aren't going at an extremely high rate of speed. At that point, it'll take a bit longer to bring the vehicle to a stop. What are you going to do mid crash though lol. Not like you can hop out as you're headed towards a wall; you're just along for the ride. Hell, accidents can even cause fires under certain circumstances.

Ideally, you'd have it all. If I can only choose one to have for the next upcoming HPDE though, I'll choose a HANS system over a racing suit or anything else (aside from a helmet obviously) any day of the week.
I've been going to the track for over a decade and seen it all. I think you are misinterpreting what I'm saying. It's all important. If I'm in a car using OEM safety equipment with a stock seat, seat belt and air bag a hybrid HNRS is lower on my list of priorities. I wear a HANS at all times in my track Miata which has a fixed back seat, harness and roll bar.
Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #111
QueenBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Logs View Post
I've been going to the track for over a decade and seen it all. I think you are misinterpreting what I'm saying. It's all important. If I'm in a car using OEM safety equipment with a stock seat, seat belt and air bag a hybrid HNRS is lower on my list of priorities. I wear a HANS at all times in my track Miata which has a fixed back seat, harness and roll bar.
Thank you for the kind words. The hybrid system is definitely on The safety list. I also cannot thank you enough for basically saying what I’ve been thinking from the beginning, all safety equipment is equally important. Either way, besides the safety equipment and an oil cooler, the only thing that will be done for my car is driver development. Driver mod is my top priority!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenBRZ For This Useful Post:
Lincoln Logs (02-19-2019), Racecomp Engineering (03-19-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 11:53 AM   #112
QueenBRZ

Hey guys, so this week I drove Mike Kang amazing turbo BRZ (BRZ which won Super Lap Battle) in Azusa Canyon. We then switched cars, as Mike shook down my EK coupe project and gave his opinion on the short comings and strengths of the build.

Overall I left the day speechless. Prior to driving Mike's BRZ I was perfectly content with the NA power and handling of my BRZ. After driving Mike's car, I now know what the 86 platform is capable of once dialed in. Driving a perfect dialed in turbo car has spoiled me and made me want forced induction (evil grin).

At the end of the day, I loved driving his car and was left with a new found need for a turbo.

Also, I am really trying to feature others cars in the 86 community to show the larger car community what these cars are about and capable of. If any of you guys are interested in having your car featured, let me know!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjnih6qoAQ8[/ame]